Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2016, 12:04 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,444,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
How? I'm not ignorant and gullible.
So you have no proof that any of them are PhotoShopped?

If I take the word of a complete stranger for something because they say it's true, am I being ignorant or gullible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 12:04 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,735,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I'm pausing to thank the founders for the United States Constitution. It may help us survive the next 4 years.
Same. Without our institutions in place, our PEOTUS would 100% be a tyrant.

Old 11-29-2016, 12:05 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,155,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OotsaPootsa View Post
So you have no proof that any of them are PhotoShopped?

If I take the word of a complete stranger for something because they say it's true, am I being ignorant or gullible?
Believe whatever you want. It's not going to make me look bad.

Old 11-29-2016, 12:06 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,655,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
He really should stop all these silly tweets

The Supreme Court has twice affirmed the right to desecrate the American flag as a form of free speech -- a historically contentious issue -- in cases before the high court in 1989 and 1990.

In the 1989 case "Texas v. Johnson," the Supreme Court ruled 5-4 that flag burning was a form of "symbolic speech" protected by the First Amendment. The ruling came after an appeal from Gregory Johnson, who had been convicted by a Texas court of violating a state law that prohibited the "desecration of a venerated object" such as the US flag.

The following year, in "United states v. Eichman," the top court again affirmed the right to burn the flag when it ruled 5-4 that the Flag Protection Act of 1989 -- passed by Congress in response to the Johnson decision -- was unconstitutional.

So I doubt Trump can or should do anything about flag burning.
After reading this entire thread I see some of what you're saying Lily, but my thoughts on the matter are as follows.
The flag is merely a symbol of what our nation is and what it stands for. It is not some sacred, blessed talisman.
When we fight, we fight for our country and it's ideals. We don't fight for symbols.

It is not the symbols of our nation that makes us what we are. It's not the eagle, the flag or the pyramid on the back of a bill.
It's the ideas and the concepts that founded the nation that are sacred and men are prepared to die for; that is what makes us great. The ideas that "All men are created equal, E Pluribus, Unum, Liberty and justice For All."
Not some symbolic piece of cloth.
That's my thoughts on the matter.

Old 11-29-2016, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
How comfortable are you with our current president? He's been spouting nonsense from the podium for 8 years. You good with that?
This is about the president-elect, and something he just spouted on Twitter. Try to focus.

Old 11-29-2016, 12:08 PM

72,959 posts, read 62,537,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJR1 View Post

TFW when Clinton introduced a law banning flag burning.
Well, I voted Libertarian in the 2016 election. When I voted in the Democratic Primary, I voted for Sanders, not Clinton. I can't stand her, or Trump.

Old 11-29-2016, 12:09 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,620,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Im down. Lock up the communist leftists burning the flag in our streets. If you don't like America? Get the hell out. Go to China or Cuba...

Trump Says Flag Burners Should Lose Citizenship or Spend a Year in Jail - ABC News
Hey genius - if you and Trump believe flag burners should be locked up, then you'd both fit perfectly in China or Cuba.

Old 11-29-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Believe whatever you want. It's not going to make me look bad.
I didn't say it would. But you stated that the most or all of the images were PhotoShopped and said you aren't ignorant or gullible when asked to substantiate your statement.

Old 11-29-2016, 12:10 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,655,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
The fact that you think he would do something like launch a nuke without thinking of the consequences just because he speaks without thinking tells me you have horrible people skills.
Then you know next to nothing about me, as I have over a 30 year career in "Front of the House" high end customer service, management.

Old 11-29-2016, 12:12 PM

72,959 posts, read 62,537,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
The fact that you think he would do something like launch a nuke without thinking of the consequences just because he speaks without thinking tells me you have horrible people skills.
What it tells me is this. People who don't think about what they say have a high iikelihood of DOING things without thinking things through. Reckless mind, reckless words, reckless actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies