Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2016, 05:26 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,538,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Im down. Lock up the communist leftists burning the flag in our streets. If you don't like America? Get the hell out. Go to China or Cuba...

Trump Says Flag Burners Should Lose Citizenship or Spend a Year in Jail - ABC News
The country is not the flag. A flag is a thing. If you burn one flag, you can get another. Democracy, the government, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, voting rights - these are the types of things that make our country unique. Not the flag.

However, the MESSAGE being sent when the Flag is burned or desecrated is abhorrent and offensive to many. And that's the issue. Not the Flag. It's what the person doing the burning is SAYING when he burns the Flag that is being objected to.

Should someone be imprisoned if they burn the flag in private? Or is it just the public spectacle that is the crime?

We don't need a right to Free Speech for things we like and agree with. We ONLY need that protection for things we DON'T like or agree with. We don't need that protection for things that the majority of citizens agree with. These protections are to protect the minority from the majority. This is the test of our nation's freedoms and liberties.

We respect the Flag because it represents our country, the land of the free. Ironically, that freedom includes the ability to abuse that flag in political protest.

Quote:
While flag desecration -- like virulent ethnic and religious epithets, vulgar repudiations of the draft, and scurrilous caricatures -- is deeply offensive to many, the Government may not prohibit the expression of an idea simply because society finds the idea itself offensive or disagreeable.
---The United States Supreme Court, J. Brennan, United States vs. Eichman

I think it is more offensive to refer to the First Lady as an ape with heels, or for a person in a powerful position seeking political office to speak of grabbing women's private parts as a perk of fame and money, or to call ordinary citizens vile names. Should people who say those things spend a year in prison? Most people find such things offensive to the values of our country, and with regard to the First Lady, directly offensive to the office of the Presidency...a symbol of our country.

All this is political gamesmanship. It's more important to discuss what they're going to try to do with Social Security and Medicare. How much welfare is going to be given to the 1%? Don't be distracted by these grandstands that go nowhere and are intended to divert attention from the real show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 05:27 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,608,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Just because he tweets it doesn't mean it will happen. However.... I do often think those who think this is such a awful country should go live in another one for a year. I lived in Germany for a spell, it was amazing some of the rules they had that curtailed freedoms that we just for granted over here.
He's been a fake news source since he threw his hat into the ring.

Disclaimer: I voted for him.

Old 11-29-2016, 05:28 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,440,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eqttrdr View Post
Um.. this was Hildog's idea back in 2005 so...... just FYI
If that was the intent, then it was a bad idea then, too.

But it seems that there's more to that story than you're letting on:

The law would have prohibited burning or otherwise destroying and damaging the US flag with the primary purpose of intimidation or inciting immediate violence or for the act of terrorism. It called for a punishment of no more than one year in prison and a fine of no more than $100,000; unless that flag was property of the United States Government, in which case the penalty would be a fine of not more than $250,000, not more than two years in prison, or both

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_P...on_Act_of_2005

Like most of Hillary's efforts in the Senate, it failed to make it very far.

Old 11-29-2016, 05:28 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,608,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
Does he lie awake at night thinking of this crap? "I'll defeat ISIS, I'll stop illegal immigration, I'll fix the economy - but FIRST!!"
I doubt it.

It's an impulse control issue.

Old 11-29-2016, 05:37 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,195,974 times
I never hear about the same butt hurt people that wanna hang someone who would burn a flag complain when folks wear USA flag bikinis or underwear.

Old 11-29-2016, 05:46 PM

25,804 posts, read 16,451,635 times
Would you liberals be offended if Trump burned a rainbow flag on the day of his inauguration?

Old 11-29-2016, 06:10 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,640,437 times
I think I got it. Based on our new president's own words, it's alright to go up to a strange woman and grab her by the *****. It's no big deal. By the same token, burn the American flag in legal protest, you will go to jail and lose your citizenship.

Welcome to the new normal.

Old 11-29-2016, 06:12 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,225,644 times
All I ask of flag burners is that they wrap themselves in it first before lighting it on fire.

Old 11-29-2016, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
I never hear about the same butt hurt people that wanna hang someone who would burn a flag complain when folks wear USA flag bikinis or underwear.
I heard that most if not all of those pictures are Photoshopped.

Old 11-29-2016, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
All I ask of flag burners is that they wrap themselves in it first before lighting it on fire.
Think they care what you want?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies