Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2016, 04:10 AM

26,469 posts, read 15,057,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
That's because Trump stands for Freedom!

Oh wait...
Yes, vote for Hillary, she is freedom!

Oh wait...she wanted to ban US flag burning and make it a crime too, and she also wanted to ban flying the offensive Confederate flag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 04:11 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,292,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I don't know if flag burners were on their mind. They also put in provisions for defending the Constitution from enemies foreign and domestic.
They also put in these juicy little tidbits:

AMENDMENT I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

AMENDMENT II

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

AMENDMENT III

No Soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the Owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.

AMENDMENT IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

AMENDMENT V

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

AMENDMENT VI

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence.

AMENDMENT VII

In Suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury, shall be otherwise re-examined in any Court of the United States, than according to the rules of the common law.

AMENDMENT VIII

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

AMENDMENT IX

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

AMENDMENT X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Old 11-30-2016, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Not at all. I think you should try burning a flag near some once and see how you do.
My uncle, a decorated Vietnam War vet who served two tours and earned numerous citations and service accolades from the US government, always supported the right to burn the flag and protest. I think people like you should stop talking for people like my uncle and others.

Old 11-30-2016, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
liberals are worried, and liberals are against the idea...well, because liberals are the flag burners
Liberals also care about the constitution just like many conservatives do. Trumpkins don't obviously. They aren't real conservatives anyway.

Old 11-30-2016, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Yes, vote for Hillary, she is freedom!

Oh wait...she wanted to ban US flag burning and make it a crime too, and she also wanted to ban flying the offensive Confederate flag.
Yeah we know. Screw her too.

Old 11-30-2016, 04:30 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,631,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Liberals also care about the constitution just like many conservatives do. Trumpkins don't obviously. They aren't real conservatives anyway.
What makes a "real conservative" anyways?

Sorry I don't see how making it illegal to publically burn a flag in protest is infringing on one's freedom of speech.

There are other ways to protest that don't spit on the graves of war veterans that died for what this country stood for, and I read your post about your relative.

Old 11-30-2016, 04:37 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,902,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
What makes a "real conservative" anyways?

Sorry I don't see how making it illegal to publically burn a flag in protest is infringing on one's freedom of speech.

There are other ways to protest that don't spit on the graves of war veterans that died for what this country stood for, and I read your post about your relative.
You don't see how instituting a law that makes it illegal to insult the state (by burning the flag) is counter to the very principals to which this country was founded on? Shall we arrest any who say things that do not praise the state? How about those who do not stand and pledge to the flag and national anthem? Are you starting to see the problem yet?

Either we respect individual liberty, or we don't. You can't pick and choose, it is no different than any tyrant who thinks their selection of allowed liberties is best for the people.

Last edited by NxtGen; 11-30-2016 at 04:57 AM..

Old 11-30-2016, 04:49 AM

39,209 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
My uncle, a decorated Vietnam War vet who served two tours and earned numerous citations and service accolades from the US government, always supported the right to burn the flag and protest.
Quote:
I am pretty sure your decorated Vietnam war vet uncle would defend the 1st amendment right of all Trumpkins.

by the way, many people also have friends/loved one/relatives who served in combat. Some of us even had dead friends. I think it is important to remember that one combat vet doesn't speak for other combat vet, we are all entitled to our own opinions. None of us really speaks for other people.

I personally have many friends who are liberals; I don't think they all think the same. It is hard to define "real liberalism" "real conservatism" anyway. Just a thought.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 11-30-2016 at 04:58 AM..

Old 11-30-2016, 05:13 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
My uncle, a decorated Vietnam War vet who served two tours and earned numerous citations and service accolades from the US government, always supported the right to burn the flag and protest. I think people like you should stop talking for people like my uncle and others.

He sounds like a great guy

Old 11-30-2016, 05:15 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,275,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
Do you need a safe space? Do you need me to put it in nice comfort words so your delicate senses can digest it?

Ok, I will there my little sensitive flower.

You see, the flag is simply an object. Your liberty, your freedom is your own and no symbol or position of power of man allows you it. You are a sovereign individual, you are not a subject to a person, state, or people. You do not require anyones approval or liege to live as you will. This is what it means to be free, to be an American and no amount of worshiping a piece of cloth or standing at attention or salute will make you any more sovereign than you are. In fact, to demand someone do so is to disregard their sovereignty, to disregard their individual liberty. You see... to claim one owes their "freedom", their "liberty" to a flag or a state is to essentially claim that they are gifted such by that power, something that is at complete odds with the very preamble to which states that these "freedoms", these "liberties" are inalienable, God given and outside of the legitimate powers of man.

Is that good enough for your delicate senses or do I need to mail you a cloth with pretty pictures so you can stand at attention saluting it so you can feel better about yourself? Maybe, we can throw gang signs and you can go on about how you feel like you are part of a group? Heck, why not just become a progressive, they sure love to talk about forced collectives and group think?

Am I being too harsh on you there buttercup?
"Do you need a safe space?" Not at all.

Safe places are for all the crying lefties who can't grasp realty.

We didn't see any of this from the repubs when Obama won.

HMM, I wonder why?

"You see, the flag is simply an object"

You are entitled to your opinion. thankfully MOST Americans disagre with you.

It is a SYMBOL of our country and the treatment of it shows respect for it.

It is a symbol of all the men and women who, over our existence, have sacrificed, sometimes with their lives, to make this such a great country.

It represents us to the rest of the world.

If you have np patriotism for your country I suggest you move to place suited to your liking.

Or are they type who just uses what we have to offer and feel no obligation to show respect for your country?

How sad, so very sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies