Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2016, 10:47 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,898,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"You sit here and argue nationalism to me,"

I am NOT arguing anything.

I am having a discussion.

You posted your opinion and I posted mine.
A discussion between opposing positions is called an argument Mr. Wizard.

The problem with your "opinion" is that in "discussions" as these they are either sound, or unsound, valid or invalid.

Your argument or "opinion" is established on the position that the flag is a representation of the country, and should be respected, even to the point of making it unlawful to do such. The irony in your position is that in order to make such illegal, you must violate the foundation of this country to do so. So your own premise is in conflict with its purpose making your opinion, not simply unsound, but invalid.

Quote:
"You point to objects and symbols and act as is if this defines you,"

Quit making assumptions.
It is not an assumption, you claim that the symbol is more important than what it stands for. Your position is in conflict. Either you think liberty is key (within the entire context of this thread and focus) or you think adherence to your symbol is. You can not force adherence to the symbol and claim to stand for what it represents, hence the irony and invalid premise.

Quote:
"they are merely ignorant aggressors urinating on the very "symbol" they claim to adore."

This is why we can't have meaningful discussions.
There is noting meaningful with a premise that contradicts itself. Either you take a seat at the big boy table, make a sound/valid argument or you get pushed off to the kiddie table where simply feelings and having an opinion is all that matters. The choice is yours.

Quote:
People like you make accusations and juvenile name calling just because someone has a different opinion then yours.
People like you need to spend more time making a proper argument rather than hiding behind stupid claims of "Its just an opinion" as if it somehow makes it valid by saying such!

See watch me... "The moon is made of cheese!" Why it is just my opinion!

Step up or go play with the kiddies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 11:10 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,249,275 times
Good for Trump? Unfortunately for him this is settled law.

Old 11-30-2016, 11:34 AM

3,298 posts, read 2,465,709 times
In Trumptopia, would you be allowed to burn a picture of a flag?

How about if someone goes online and posts a video or photo of a burning flag? Suppose it's not a real video or photo of a burning flag, rather one that was photoshopped - would that make a difference?

Is a picture or video of a flag any less a symbol of our country, any less deserving of respect than a real flag? If so, what is the distinction?

Old 11-30-2016, 11:35 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,246,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
In Trumptopia, would you be allowed to burn a picture of a flag?

How about if someone goes online and posts a video or photo of a burning flag? Suppose it's not a real video or photo of a burning flag, rather one that was photoshopped - would that make a difference?

Is a picture or video of a flag any less a symbol of our country than a real flag? If so, what is the distinction?
What about burning a picture of a guy kicking a picture of a guy burning a flag? Would that get me put in jail?

Old 11-30-2016, 11:57 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,822,733 times
What if I embroider the name "TRUMP" in all caps gold thread across the middle of an american flag? Will that get me kicked out?

Old 11-30-2016, 12:01 PM

79 posts, read 92,027 times
Make fire proof flags. Problem solved.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:06 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,235,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I am pretty sure your decorated Vietnam war vet uncle would defend the 1st amendment right of all Trumpkins.

by the way, many people also have friends/loved one/relatives who served in combat. Some of us even had dead friends. I think it is important to remember that one combat vet doesn't speak for other combat vet, we are all entitled to our own opinions. None of us really speaks for other people.

I personally have many friends who are liberals; I don't think they all think the same. It is hard to define "real liberalism" "real conservatism" anyway. Just a thought.
He DID defend the the rights of ALL Americans, including Trumpkins.

I know many veterans who can't stand the flag waving, pseudo-patriotic crap that Americans spew. Today's Trumpkins bear no resemblance to the conservatives I know, love and respect.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
He sounds like a great guy
Thank you.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Where did he fight?
I don't know. Both he and my father, grandfather and grandmother are deceased. I would like to get his service records to learn more about what he did.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:16 PM

25,804 posts, read 16,451,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I get upset when anyone argues to trample on our rights. I understand that Trump trolls and in the bigger picture I am O.K. with that BUT it's never cool to make comments, even trolling comments about jailing people for exercising their rights.
Is it your right to take a dump in Lincoln's lap at the Lincoln Memorial?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies