Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 09:55 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
None of those mean anything if you would use government to dictate to people how they can treat their own property. If someone wants to buy a flag and burn it, so be it, they own the flag, it is just a piece of cloth and the fact is few if any have a clue what the damn thing even stood for and if one would call out jailing someone for such, then they have no clue what it means.
Yeah, right. If it didn't stand for something they wouldn't be burning it.

I grew up saluting the flag in my classroom daily. I remember when that was changed.....it's been downhill every since.

People from other countries want to be here so badly they will break Federal laws......But the ones that can legally be here will burn the flag.....such hypocrisy .......You can hide behind stupidity only so long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 09:57 AM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Lol....Trump just blowing smoke for the loyalists again....and the left goes nuts thinking he really means it.

He's not as polished at the empty promises and lying as our previous presidents but it's the same schtick.

Hillary promised to take "those record profits" and likely a bunch of you were gullibly happy that she was going to do something to big oil, even if it was an unconstitutional promise and one she clearly couldn't keep.

Empty, hyperbolic promises from politicians are normal but by all means keep freaking out just like the "gonna take my ammo and guns" far right was worried about.

Anyone still unclear on this concept?

Old 11-29-2016, 09:58 AM

15,625 posts, read 10,380,316 times
Of course Trump can't jail or exile Americans who burn the flag, but as college administrations and college students are demonstrating on an almost-daily basis, the attempt to shut down offensive speech is wildly popular by those on the left.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:00 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Yeah, right. If it didn't stand for something they wouldn't be burning it. You hide behind stupidity only so long.
...which is why it's protected speech. For now. Until Emperor Trump has his way.

4,279 posts, read 1,902,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
"its just a piece of cloth"

well 'its nice' you feel that way....guess you don't stand for the national anthem either

so the Washington monument is just a brick wall...guess its ok for a person to graffiti/deface/burn it too
If one buys a flag and burns it, it is their property and you or any other has NO say, not if you want to claim you respect what the flag actually represents. .

If one chooses not to stand in a nationalistic salute to a nation state, that is their choice.

If one decides to vandalize public property, throw the book at them, arrest them and let the rot in jail. I did not defend such criminal acts.

There is nothing wrong with you saluting or showing pride in your country, there is nothing wrong with you showing displeasure for those who do not do as you do, but there is everything wrong with wanting to criminalize such failures as that is to urinate on the very concept to which this country was founded and it is no different than how the progressives act.

At the end of the day, no flag, no salute, no monument is what this country is. What this country is based on is the action of liberty, the willingness to defend it at all costs, and excuse me... but looking back over the last 100 years, I think we have been doing a pretty poor job defending it.

9,981 posts, read 8,586,452 times
1988 was a great year.

Flag burning was still illegal.

MAGA.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:02 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
How is burning a flag , free speech? It has nothing to do with speech. More like a non-verbel political statement
Learning the history of our nation would be helpful for you in understanding these things.

What Does Free Speech Mean? | United States Courts

Old 11-29-2016, 10:03 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
If one owns the flag, one has the right to burn it, etc... This would not be vandalism. However, in Fidel's world, it would probably have been a capital offense requiring the death penalty.
meanwhile who were three of the sponsors of the The Flag Protection Act of 2005

Sen. Clinton, Hillary Rodham [D-NY]
Sen. Boxer, Barbara [D-CA]
Sen. Byrd, Robert C. [D-WV]

3,298 posts, read 2,472,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
I agree and I also think we should bring back mandatory 2 years service in the military when you turn 18 or graduate from high school.
It'd be very entertaining to see President Bonespur start pushing that idea.

7,447 posts, read 2,830,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
If one buys a flag and burns it, it is their property and you or any other has NO say, not if you want to claim you respect what the flag actually represents.
That is my take as well. The suggestion that we should take away people's right to do what they wish with their own property to me is more disrespectful to the flag than burning it. They are elevating the icon to an idol whilst completely disregarding what it was supposed to be an icon of in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies