Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 06:01 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,692,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
From what I've read about the hijab, the decision to wear it or not is supposed to solely rest on the woman making the decision. So forcing women to wear the hijab violates this principle, but forcing women not to wear the hijab also violates this principle.
I 100% agree. People are free to make these choices in Canada. What it represnts somewhere else should not be our problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 06:03 PM

4,095 posts, read 2,557,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
From what I've read about the hijab, the decision to wear it or not is supposed to solely rest on the woman making the decision. So forcing women to wear the hijab violates this principle, but forcing women not to wear the hijab also violates this principle.
So you understand Islam better than all the clerics in Iran and Saudi Arabia. They got it all wrong somehow.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:53 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,818,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post
Millions of Muslim women are forced to wear it, just that fact makes the hijab tainted.
I said SOME.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Only Orthodox Jews, and it isn't a Hijab... no Jews cover their entire head and/or face. What about a burka? Is that acceptable as well?
Not true either. Orthodox are not the only Jews that are covered (though they are the most strict for the laws on covering) and they CAN wear a Hijab. (usually its a Tichel) I also NEVER said their face.

The OP said Hijab=Muslim, I was making the point that is not true. Anyone can wear a Hijab and not be Muslim. Its JUST A COVERING!

ETA: Hijab, Tichel, Snood, Cap, Beanie, Kippah, veil, Sheitel are all common for Jews to wear. The Torah says to cover, not what it is required to BE.

Last edited by Ohky0815; 11-29-2016 at 09:02 PM..

Old 11-29-2016, 09:29 PM

Thousands of women are victims of acid attacks on their faces because of No or Bad hijab.
Acid attacks on Iranian women linked to 'bad hijab' | Middle East Eye

Old 11-29-2016, 09:40 PM

18,453 posts, read 9,094,283 times
OMG, Sharia Law is coming to Sarnia!!!

Old 11-29-2016, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Thousands of women are victims of acid attacks on their faces because of No or Bad hijab.
Acid attacks on Iranian women linked to 'bad hijab' | Middle East Eye
I just guessing but that could be a case of respect. Their law/tradition/expectation/choice is " neck/hair covered and loose clothes " so it would be like walking out in a bikini, its seen as disrespectful to your friends/family/husband and its not right to throw acid certainly.

The same thing happens in the US EXCEPT media and society says its ok to be half dressed and something is wrong with you if you cover your body on this side of the world. There are head covering women in the US who are scared to go out covered because of what people may say or do. There are actually defense classes for what to do if someone tries to grab your covering.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
I just guessing but that could be a case of respect. Their law/tradition/expectation/choice is " neck/hair covered and loose clothes " so it would be like walking out in a bikini, its seen as disrespectful to your friends/family/husband and its not right to throw acid certainly.

The same thing happens in the US EXCEPT media and society says its ok to be half dressed and something is wrong with you if you cover your body on this side of the world. There are head covering women in the US who are scared to go out covered because of what people may say or do. There are actually defense classes for what to do if someone tries to grab your covering.
There are millions of women in Muslim countries who are forced or shamed into wearing the hijab.

Compared to a few hundred women in the West that want to stick to the 7th century traditions and feel out of place in modern society.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:42 AM

Quote:
There are millions of women in Muslim countries who are forced or shamed into wearing the hijab.

Compared to a few hundred women in the West that want to stick to the 7th century traditions and feel out of place in modern society.
so go over there and make a difference...

Old 11-30-2016, 04:52 AM

15,068 posts, read 6,136,312 times
That's wonderful...and she's beautiful too.

Old 11-30-2016, 05:05 AM

39,028 posts, read 27,433,293 times
I don't know who is the "first Hijabi" muslim anchor lol So I did my own research

This

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJEpLFNa8Ms

Hey, she ain't bad. She has pretty eyes and a warm smile. Some Muslim women look good with that head scarf, she is one of them. Nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies