Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2016, 05:26 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Presidents need to count jobs by the millions, not the hundreds. Every month in the Obama economy, we gain over 15000% of the 1000 jobs saved in this "deal." We should be a market economy, not one dependent on corporate welfare from the government.
Tell that to the people who's jobs were going to Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 05:28 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Tell that to the people who's jobs were going to Mexico.
1100 still are. Every day jobs will move, some to the US, some from the US. Offering government handouts to stop that is not a good solution.

Old 11-30-2016, 05:32 PM

34,048 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I have no problem with this at all. It's about time an administration called the companies out for going overseas or to Mexico and uses whatever leverage they have to keep them here. Too bad it wasn't done during the last 8 years or even before Obama.

amen

Old 11-30-2016, 05:33 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Bam! I knew it.

Old 11-30-2016, 05:35 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Clinton herself focused on Trump letting him eat himself but without realizing the movement Trump started was bigger than him. I mean the guy could've easily said anything, the point was that the Dems were tied to the media and the Wikileaks were exposing that. Of course the media saw it as business as usual but the Trump campaign painted it as evidence of collusion. There was really nothing Clinton could've said that wouldn't have made her look like the prototypical politicians tied to the media and corporate interests that she was. Meanwhile, the Dems and the liberals were focused a lot on the racial and social issues going on over economic issues after Bernie was ousted. No more class war, no more talks of stagnant wages, no more calls for unionization, single payer, free education. The last year or so of the campaign all that was known or heard from liberals and leftists was identity politics. They were even cannibalizing their own insisting that to talk about class/economics over identity issues was seen as condoning this notion of white supremacy. I've heard it myself that some people were being called "class first" leftists because they would say stuff such as race follows class. So now under this new progressive platform the old talks of class or economics being primary in any systemic analysis is seen as racist.
Yeah, I'm not sure where you're getting that from. I think you meant white privilege, btw, not white supremacy.

Again, I don't think Clinton shifted to identity politics from class issues. I believe she thought she was winning and that it was better to hold the ball and run the clock down rather than press any affirmative case for the presidency. Was it really that long ago when she was being criticized for being away from the campaign trail for days at a time?

And it's a bit rich for you to say that she shifted to identity politics when GOP strategists talk about Trump building a campaign around identity politics. You are acting as if this guy hasn't named Steve Bannon as his top adviser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Next, I would say that while the mantra by the right has always been to attract more business or keep it here by lowering taxes and whatnot, this time around Trump decided to include protectionist measures and tariffs on imports from any company that decides to do business overseas and bring those goods back. I don't know how much this right wing populism will go and I agree a trade war will commence but what is the real option that you're proposing? To unionize the current workforce? I mean are you going by the theory of under-consumption? That all that is needed to raise living standards is to raise stagnant wages? What exactly are you proposing here?
Well, first of all, we need to be clear here. There aren't that many Americans working in manufacturing nowadays. And I don't say this to be demeaning, as I grew up in a Big Blue Union state. That's just the reality of it. So the question is to what extent you penalize the 92% of American workers not working in manufacturing in order to benefit the 8% that do.

That's not an easy question to answer. One solution, as you noted, is to risk a trade war for that 8%. But then what if that sours the economy for everyone else? What if Suzy Homemaker consistently starts paying 33% more for everything at Walmart?

And do we make the same commitment to all U.S. industries? A lot of jobs in the financial sector here in the New York region have been outsourced. Should the federal government threaten J.P. Morgan to bring those jobs back? What about document review jobs in the legal industry? What about customer service jobs Verizon has sent off to India?

Nobody wants to see people lose jobs. Most people don't want to see people die, either. But telling someone a certain job is going to be around forever is not much different from telling someone their parents can live forever.

Old 11-30-2016, 05:36 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,903,718 times
Is it 1000 jobs saved? Or 1,100 jobs lost?

Old 11-30-2016, 05:40 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
Is it 1000 jobs saved? Or 1,100 jobs lost?
1,100 jobs saved. 1,300 lost.

Quote:
Some 1,300 jobs will still go to Mexico, which includes 600 Carrier employees, plus 700 workers from UTEC Controls in Huntington, Ind. The company has plans in place to offer displaced workers employment and relocation in UTC’s aerospace business, or to provide funding for reeducation.
Donald Trump Carrier Deal: How He Sealed It with CEO Hayes

Old 11-30-2016, 05:40 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,445,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
Corporations? You mean like Solyndra?
Yes. They got government money. Just like Carrier, apparently.

Carrier Received $5.1 Million in Obama-Stimulus Cash Before Move To Mexico - Breitbart

Old 11-30-2016, 05:46 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Good news. Carrier Co. is now not leaving Indiana for foreign shores, as it had planned. Sweet! 1,000 Jobs saved.

I think Trump is, to put it nicely, a big bloviator. But I will say this...this is a GOOD thing! I'm willing to recognize a success (unlike some on the right who wouldn't admit ANY successes of Obama, of which there were many).

I saw on the news that Carrier gives the reason that it's getting state tax incentives to stay. Guess who is Governor of Indiana? PENCE.

So my question is....why didn't PENCE arrange tax incentives before? Was this a done deal before, and this was just arranged to make it public now, for show? Or Pence didn't want to give tax incentives before?

So glad for those workers, though, however this happened. It means a lot not to lose your job.
Carrier is still moving 700 jobs from Huntington, Indiana to Mexico.

Old 11-30-2016, 05:54 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,661,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Bam! I knew it.
Yup ,screw everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies