Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2016, 03:03 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
On the heels of this, apparently there are talks of saving the Oreo jobs in Chicago too. I have to give credit where credit is due. Dang, he's accomplishing quite a bit so far before he's even sworn in. I voted for him primarily because it was a vote against Clinton but I honestly didn't think he would be all that effective. He keeps this up and I'll be impressed.
Trump isn't even President and he is working on saving American jobs. He has a full agenda simply hiring his staff; but he is taking care of the people that elected him. Like, what has been pointed out over and over again, our current President and other Presidents have done nothing as our jobs went out of our Country. Obama had his chance and he played golf (fiddled while the city burned).

What cost Hillary is that the average people have to believe that their world is not collapsing, that they will have a job and benefits, and that their politicians are actually on their side. Hillary was aloof, untouchable, and only appeared to work for those with money. When Trump saved the Carrier jobs; he confirmed that he did not forget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 04:02 AM

12,962 posts, read 13,676,205 times
You gotta see this for what it is. A politician goes around the country preaching about Mexicans taking jobs and saving jobs. He chooses a running mate whose very own state loses jobs to Mexicans. He cuts a deal to save face. Somebody always get the shaft in these deals and it's going to be the folks at Carrier who think their job is safe.

Old 12-01-2016, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
You gotta see this for what it is. A politician goes around the country preaching about Mexicans taking jobs and saving jobs. He chooses a running mate whose very own state loses jobs to Mexicans. He cuts a deal to save face. Somebody always get the shaft in these deals and it's going to be the folks at Carrier who think their job is safe.
This is why Hillary lost; you don't understand that there are employees that will enjoy Xmas (the holidays) because of Trumps actions. In the long run they could loose out to automation; but they care about here and now. Trump looks like a hero and your side looks like you're sniveling. Unless you get down in the pits and look at the issues; 2020 will be out of sight.

Old 12-01-2016, 04:13 AM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post

What cost Hillary is that the average people have to believe that their world is not collapsing, that they will have a job and benefits, and that their politicians are actually on their side. Hillary was aloof, untouchable, and only appeared to work for those with money. When Trump saved the Carrier jobs; he confirmed that he did not forget.

Bingo. Unlike HRC's Wall Street buds, these 1,000 will not be giant donors, but Thank God, to this POTUS, they still matter.

Old 12-01-2016, 04:40 AM

12,962 posts, read 13,676,205 times
Quote:
This is why Hillary lost; you don't understand that there are employees that will enjoy Xmas (the holidays) because of Trumps actions. In the long run they could loose out to automation; but they care about here and now. Trump looks like a hero and your side looks like you're sniveling. Unless you get down in the pits and look at the issues; 2020 will be out of sight.
Hilary lost because we stayed home. If the Dems run somebody for real Trump is back in the Hotel business in four years. Those Carrier workers will get their belly's full for a while but if they don't start preparing for the inevitable its their own fault. The Carrier deal is what it is, a move to save face at the expense of people who Trump thinks makes too much money anyway.

Old 12-01-2016, 05:11 AM

23,552 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
After negotiations with Carrier, 2000 jobs that were to go to Mexico are staying in the U.S. Those jobs are in Indiana, another state that voted for Trump.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/29/bu...n-us.html?_r=0
john Kerry must be rolling over on his silk sheets knowing that air conditioning, the real threat to our existence, is having a resurgence in the USA.

Old 12-01-2016, 05:18 AM

57,281 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
Obama could have easily done these things, but he had no interest in doing so. Once Trump takes down the corporate tax rate & allows the trillions of dollars that are parked offshore back in the States along with several other common sense measures you are going to see a boom like the Reagan years with 5%+ growth yearly.
First off Trump didn't do anything, at least not directly. The Indiana Economic Development Corporation granted Carrier $700,000 per year in tax breaks the length of which is unknown. Still the numbers don't add up because they could have saved $65M by moving those jobs to Mexico. So the question is did Trump threaten Carrier's parent company United Technologies which has $6.7B in contracts.

Good luck with the 5% growth prediction.

Old 12-01-2016, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Hilary lost because we stayed home. If the Dems run somebody for real Trump is back in the Hotel business in four years. Those Carrier workers will get their belly's full for a while but if they don't start preparing for the inevitable its their own fault. The Carrier deal is what it is, a move to save face at the expense of people who Trump thinks makes too much money anyway.
I was a Teamster, with 25 years seniority, when my company announced it was closing on Labor Day. 15,000 of us lost our jobs that day (the CF closing). I had just earned my fifth week's vacation when I hit 25 years + I had benefits. There is nothing worse than starting at the bottom; when you have reached the top.

You think this is short-sighted and that Carrier employees should not rejoice; take a poll of the Carrier employees and see how many are Trump supporters. If they were not Trump supporters before; they are now. Every step Trump takes to protect our jobs will be a vote against the Democrats in the years to come. It makes no difference what Trump's motives are; he is making good on his promises and he is not even our President until January 20th!

Until the Democrats turn proactive for Americans; they will have an uphill battle.

Old 12-01-2016, 05:26 AM

57,281 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
I was a Teamster, with 25 years seniority, when my company announced it was closing on Labor Day. 15,000 of us lost our jobs that day (the CF closing). I had just earned my fifth week's vacation when I hit 25 years + I had benefits. There is nothing worse than starting at the bottom; when you have reached the top.

You think this is short-sighted and that Carrier employees should not rejoice; take a poll of the Carrier employees and see how many are Trump supporters. If they were not Trump supporters before; they are now. Every step Trump takes to protect our jobs will be a vote against the Democrats in the years to come. It makes no difference what Trump's motives are; he is making good on his promises and he is not even our President until January 20th!

Until the Democrats turn proactive for Americans; they will have an uphill battle.
I do think Carrier employees should celebrate, they retained their jobs but yes it is shortsighted and most certainly not a long term solution. It appears that Carrier will be losing money and that the taxpayers will be paying for them to retain their jobs, will Carrier be able to compete with other companies in the future.

Their competitor, Trane moved jobs to Mexico back in 2008 to save money.

Old 12-01-2016, 05:45 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
.... It appears that Carrier will be losing money and that the taxpayers will be paying for them to retain their jobs, will Carrier be able to compete with other companies in the future.
Nonsense. You are simply offering opinion.

And Bill Clinton's NAFTA has cost the USA millions of manufacturing jobs because it forces companies to move production to the 3rd world.

Fact remains, Trump got elected because he is willing to finally face the stupidity of such a situation. Obama did nothing for these jobs and millions of others, and it would have been the same under Hillary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies