Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2016, 02:29 PM

10,097 posts, read 9,968,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
What we are seeing is an opportunistic Republican politician (Trump) taking advantage of a demographic (blue collar whites) that feels alienated by their traditional party (the Democrats). So yeah it's all mixed up.

Once Trump does these few symbolic deals, he will go back to doing what Republicans (and modern day Democrats) normally do: work for the benefit of the donor class and against the interests of the remaining 99.9% of Americans.
What donor class does Trump have to return favors to? If anything his entire trade and economic platform is a mix of traditional conservatism and economic populism. It's outlined pretty clearly on his website. Do you people ever read it or actually listen to his speeches in full when he gives them? Cus the statements or questions you ask it doesn't seem like it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 02:29 PM

18,792 posts, read 8,409,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Trump isn't a typical Republican and didn't run as one. Some of his policies were completely contrary to what BOTH the Republicans AND Democrats believe in.
I never believed to see it happen - actually it hasn't happened yet. But Trump could be my GOD of spending without taxing. He did say that he 'knew debt'. Modern money just might come of age. Time will tell.

Old 12-01-2016, 02:31 PM

56,990 posts, read 35,095,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
The OP could of sum up the rambling with "I hate Trump"... Merry Christmas...
See what I mean?

I actually support this move, and I've said so on other threads.

No Democrat on this board has been more magnanimous towards Trump post-victory than me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
The problem with the auto bailout is that:

1, GM did go through a bankruptcy despite lies from Obama and Biden to the contrary

2, GM got a special bankruptcy where they didn't have to make special changes, even GM's CEO said this was a problem

3, They threw a mountain of cash in a variety of forms at GM and paying back a loan is a deception.
Yeah. OK...now back to the topic...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
They sat back and watched Obama do it for 8 years so they learned something, right?
Again...see what I mean? This crap here^^^^
Quote:
Trump isn't a typical Republican and didn't run as one. Some of his policies were completely contrary to what BOTH the Republicans AND Democrats believe in.
Okay. I'm digging the honesty in your post.

Old 12-01-2016, 02:31 PM

10,097 posts, read 9,968,859 times
Quote:
I grew up in a conservative union Democrat and Republican family that read and listened to a lot of Pat Buchanan and my dad was always taking about how no one listened to Ross Perot. That type of conservatism within the Republican Party. It was just small and drowned out by the libertarianism in the party.

Last edited by radiolibre99; 12-01-2016 at 02:47 PM..

Old 12-01-2016, 02:32 PM

18,457 posts, read 9,096,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Since Indiana is in the headlines, I'll use that state as an example. Indiana has been pretty much a rock ribbed conservative state ever since I can remember. If Indiana's residents believed that these are the types of deals that politicians should strike with business, then why in the hell have they voted in pro free trade Republicans (and a few Dems) time and time again when their state has been devastated by manufacturing job losses? I can't wrap my mind around that either.

Mike Pence, Dan Quayle, Dan Coates Dick Lugar, Evan Bayh, etc...not one of them is an economic protectionist even a little bit. When has Mike Pence ever spoken out against companies leaving this country?
In places like Indiana it's all about God, Jesus, Guns, and Gays. Economic issues are secondary, until they get so bad that people actually start suffering. Perhaps Indiana could have gone to Hillary if she would have upped the rhetoric on saving manufacturing jobs. But Trump did it instead, even though it's not a traditional Republican thing.

It's all about pandering to different constituencies, and Trump did it well enough to win the "socially conservative yet Democratic" Rust Belt States.

Old 12-01-2016, 02:37 PM

26,330 posts, read 14,928,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

Yeah. OK...now back to the topic...
YOU yourself mentioned conservatives complained about the auto bailout, I am merely reminding you that there were legitimate complaints and lies/deception from Obama on the topic.

Old 12-01-2016, 02:37 PM

25,423 posts, read 17,101,865 times
Kind of predictable.

Democrats scream if the company leaves the US and call "foul play" if it stays. Then they call "temporary" in an effort to inoculate themselves against the well deserved call of Double Standard, each Democrat claiming to have the visionary power of Nostradamus and showing us all how it will end four years in the future.

Pretty pitiful.

Old 12-01-2016, 02:40 PM

1,650 posts, read 1,110,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
I don't think Trump is in any way, shape or form a traditional republican.

We need to move past party labels anyway.

He's got his own brand of political beliefs. That is a positive to me.

Now we'll see how well it all works out.
This. Only thing I care about now is MERICA FIRST!!

Old 12-01-2016, 02:41 PM

7,177 posts, read 4,737,142 times
One thousand jobs. I thought it was going to be 2000.

For how long are they staying here in the US? When are they getting robots?

Old 12-01-2016, 02:47 PM

649 posts, read 315,202 times
Your cup is always half empty !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies