Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2016, 04:19 PM

31,726 posts, read 26,642,574 times

Advertisements

How many threads are we going to have about this Carrier thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 04:20 PM

575 posts, read 297,739 times
"Over the years, I've watched, for years, for 10 years, for 12 years, for 15 years, beyond Obama, and I've watched as politicians talked about stopping companies from leaving our states. Remember, they'd give the low-interest loans. Here's a low-interest loan if you stay in Pennsylvania. Here's a zero-interest loan. You don't have to pay. Here's a this. Here's a tax abatement of any kind you want. We'll help your employees. It doesn't work, folks. That's not what they need. They have money. They want to go out, they want to move to another country, and because our politicians are so dumb, they want to sell their product to us and not have any retribution, not have any consequence. So all of that's over."

Donald J Trump August 2016

20,187 posts, read 23,787,845 times
Thank you President Trump! #TrumpWins... Merry Christmas

52,433 posts, read 26,462,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
Trump is giving a speech about it still sounds like he is running to become president giving speeches is not his strong suit wow he sucks hope he really limits his time in front of cameras
Sounds like he thinks he is in a small dark comedy club doing a set
Hmm.. Before you lecture someone else about making a speech you might want to get your own house in order.

Old 12-01-2016, 04:24 PM

501 posts, read 359,666 times
Quote:
I think the confusion derives from the switch from national economics to global economics. The economic war on the USA has been ongoing for some time and we finally have a president that is not blind or paid off. The government must be more involved in global economics in order to be on a more level platform with the other nations.
This part makes little sense to me. Americans are in a vastly superior position with the nations that Trump is complaining about (China, Mexico, India). That's the reason American corporations want to hire people over there instead in the first place. Less bargaining power means lower wages. There's no economic war or conspiracy here. US workers who have the same skills as foreign workers are supposed to be ignored by US employers if they ask for too much pay.

I voted Clinton but I'm pretty pro-free trade. We should let businesses hire outside of the country as much as they want so long as it doesn't have national security risks. Mexicans and Indians deserve work just as much as Mexican-Americans and Indian-Americans do. (I can see an argument being made against trade with China due its human rights issues, its theft of Filipino islands, and its government's support for cyberattacks on the US.)

Old 12-01-2016, 04:27 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,526,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatandFlat View Post
OK, not to rain on President Elect Trumps Parade *BUT* CNBC is reporting that in exchange for $7 Million in tax cuts, UTX will invest $16 Million in their plant. How many robots can you buy for $16 million?
Well, I was excited at first. I still am happy about those who are able to keep their jobs.

But now I'm reading revisions. I read that it's not all 1,000 who will keep their jobs. Carrier is still going to lay off several hundred.

And I'm also reading by financial guys (not liberals) that it doesn't matter that much...making one "deal." That's not enough to do the economy any good, and unless someone devised a real policy, this will be a sort of procedure that companies will use against the country, thus using Trump's inclination to wheel and deal, rather than push Congress setting up policies to address these companies leaving the country.

Also, I heard Trump on tv today, part of the speech, where he was saying the trade with Mexico and business arrangements were all going one way, from us to Mexico. But I know that's not true. Mexico has companies that have moved to the U.S., and they employ Americans. It's probably way lopsided, but it's not true that it's one way from us to Mexico.

One thing I read was about the Mexican wall. The article said that ironically building a wall would help Mexico's economy. Turns out the sheer amount of concrete needed for it would mean a windfall for Mexico, since the closest large concrete manufacturers are Mexican. The biggest one is in Mexico, but if the U S wants to get the concrete from America...the other biggest one that is close but in America is a MEXICAN company that employs Americans. It would add to the cost to go far away to get the concrete from an American company, and they're too small to handle that size of a job. If one got the contract, they'd have to get the concrete from...guess where? The Mexican companies I just mentioned.

Anyway, the country needs a policy on how to keep companies in the country. Winging it, each time a company in essence blackmails us, is not policy.

Old 12-01-2016, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
How many threads are we going to have about this Carrier thing?

Why do you respond? Bored?

Old 12-01-2016, 04:28 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,077,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
But is it that cut and dry? I mean, Trump is doing everything he railed against when campaigning. During the debates and in every rally he talked about Hillary's speeches and her connection to Wall Street, and now his team resembles a Goldman Sachs satellite office. I thought it was a joke when I first heard he was considering David Petraeus for SOS after promising his supporters to prosecute Hillary and "lock her up."

We now know why Pence is still Gov of Indiana, even though the inauguration is only weeks away. He needed to sign that $700,000 check before he was replaced. I'm all for saving jobs, but what about the 1,300 people who are losing them in the same plant? Will that $700,000 come from their taxes or will they receive a tax credit? This was a very smart move, but it wasn't because he cares about those 850 workers. If that were the case, he wouldn't have purchased Chinese Steel or had most of his products manufactured in China.

I truly believe if Trump pardoned Bernie Madoff and gave him a cabinet position, his supporters would still be cheering him on during his upcoming tour. It's not a "thank you" tour as he calls it. It's a much needed adulation fix since Twitter can't give him the high he gets from hearing crowds of admirers calling his name.

I can't tell if Trump is a brilliant marketer or a narcissistic sociopath.
Hey, I'm just as flummoxed as you. I don't know what to think.

If Republicans believed all along in these populist economics policies, then what have I been arguing with them about all these years? I've been wasting my time trying to convert the converted. And I've been at this for 35 years. I thought the Republicans believed half the crap they were saying only to find out now that they didn't.

So what gives?

Or maybe I should just become a Republican too. Hell..I don't know.

New world we're in.

Old 12-01-2016, 04:29 PM

I'm glad someone bumped it though. I love this Trump comment from August. He so entertaining.

"Over the years, I've watched, for years, for 10 years, for 12 years, for 15 years, beyond Obama, and I've watched as politicians talked about stopping companies from leaving our states. Remember, they'd give the low-interest loans. Here's a low-interest loan if you stay in Pennsylvania. Here's a zero-interest loan. You don't have to pay. Here's a this. Here's a tax abatement of any kind you want. We'll help your employees. It doesn't work, folks. That's not what they need. They have money. They want to go out, they want to move to another country, and because our politicians are so dumb, they want to sell their product to us and not have any retribution, not have any consequence. So all of that's over."

Old 12-01-2016, 04:30 PM

4,279 posts, read 1,893,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shihku7 View Post
This is largely nonsense. Trump supporters in the primaries all heavily identified with conservativism in opinion polls.
They also thought they were supportive of the Constitution, but oddly seem to promote concepts that are in conflict with it. So, we can take those "polls" with a grain of salt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies