Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2016, 05:05 AM

134 posts, read 193,004 times

Advertisements

Polarisation increases completion and completion is good for society!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 05:07 AM

134 posts, read 193,004 times
I meant competion *

Old 11-29-2016, 05:08 AM

2,407 posts, read 1,510,911 times
I've thought the same thing, actually. If everything were to shift to one side, I'd be scared.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:16 AM

2,020 posts, read 1,658,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mej210390 View Post
I meant competion *
you mean competition.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:34 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,690,295 times
Yep. Competition. And competition between nations leads to war. Compromise and bipartisan cooperation leads to peace and prosperity between nations. Nationalism leads to isolation and detachment from the union of nations. Isolation leads to paranoia.
Trump will lead the nation into an era of isolated, paranoid, belligerent, nationalism that will take decades to recover from.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:56 PM

7,801 posts, read 6,393,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mej210390 View Post
Polarisation increases competition and competition is good for society!
Probably then the issue people have with polarization is that it reduces competition by having two sides to everything. Compare your US politics which is pretty much made up of two parties..... with politics in places like Germany, Ireland, the UK and so forth where there are SEVERAL parties. So many that sometimes one party will win the popular vote..... but sometimes not and government power will be taken by a coalition.

And sometimes the vote is such that SO MANY parties have to go into a coalition to win power that you get what is called a "Rainbow coalition". Take Ireland for example: The 24th Government of Ireland (15 December 1994 – 26 June 1997) was the 2nd Government of the 27th Dáil. Known as the Rainbow Coalition,[fn 1] it was a coalition of Fine Gael, the Labour Party and Democratic Left.

So polarization, where you basically have two sides extremely opposed to each other is not really going to stimulate competition in the same way. Just like in business when two companies have the market sown up..... like say Apple and Microsoft..... competition is not easy. SOME exists of course, but generally when it gets too uppity one of them simply buys the competition out.

I myself do not REALLY have a problem with political polarization. It does not really affect me much. I would PREFER there was more choices politically of course. The only thing that bothers me really is the sheer cop out cowardice people use that polarization for. Time and time.... and time again.... what I see is people on here having a conversation and one person will IGNORE ENTIRELY what the other person said and instead attack their "side" generically.

So I will make a point of some description against someones argument and the extreme coward will simply ignore the point and go "Oh liberals are so funny when...." and they will go off on some diatribe against Liberals. Or Conservatives. Since I do not fall into EITHER camp, such cowards have accused me of being in BOTH during their desperate attempt to attack the camp rather than address my points directly. In fact I won game set and match in a debate on another thread only yesterday because a user could not rebut a SINGLE point I made, instead dodging them all by making comments about "Liberals".

Old 11-30-2016, 12:22 AM

24,620 posts, read 19,232,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Compromise and bipartisan cooperation leads to peace and prosperity between nations.
That's true if, and only if, all nation-States involved are on equal-footing.

Old 11-30-2016, 01:59 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,995,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Yep. Competition. And competition between nations leads to war. Compromise and bipartisan cooperation leads to peace and prosperity between nations. Nationalism leads to isolation and detachment from the union of nations. Isolation leads to paranoia.
Trump will lead the nation into an era of isolated, paranoid, belligerent, nationalism that will take decades to recover from.
There's still 2 other branches of government. Aside from easily replaceable executive orders, lasting changes have to be approved by Congress who have a lot of varied interest depending on their state and many are up for reelection already in 2 years, so they have to show some progress fairly quickly.
Trump is actually one of the more centrists of any recent president.
I think too many people are falling for campaign rhetoric and media hype.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies