Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2016, 08:23 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,834,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Global warming as promoted is indeed a theory. Yes, theories are taught as science but theories should be taught as theory.
I'll just leave this here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_theory

"A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that is acquired through the scientific method and repeatedly tested and confirmed, preferably using a written, pre-defined, protocol of observations and experiments. Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge."

To be fair, I am not aware of a comprehensive scientific hypothesis on climate change that has risen to the level of scientific theory. But trying to muddy the waters with swapping the colloquial definition and scientific definition is an old hat dishonest apologetic canard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 08:25 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
I'll just leave this here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_theory

"A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that is acquired through the scientific method and repeatedly tested and confirmed, preferably using a written, pre-defined, protocol of observations and experiments. Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge."
Being that Global Warming as presented is anything but well established, my point stays.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:26 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Anyone else just amazed at how backwards our morals have become? Burning flags and setting down during the national anthem are heralded by the left as celebrated examples of freedom of speech.

Yet, it is a great offense for a school teacher to exercise freedom of speech and religion by displaying one harmless Bible verse.

The FFRF is a bully organazation that is anti-Christian and has distorted the Establishment clause to such extremes that teachers have to treat Christianity like a dangerous virus. It must be completely hidden. This disgusting organization obliviously wants to promote a new generation of atheists by such actions.

But the reality is that this is nothing more than freedom of speech by an individual, not an organization. The public school was not endorsing religion. It was a teacher simply putting up a motto that she believes in.

The atheist liberal left doesn't give a rip about freedom of speech unless it goes against Christian and ONLY Christian morals and beliefs.

Atheists Force Connecticut Teacher to Remove Bible Verse Display
I am with you. I know there is a lot of good about life today compared to 20 or more years ago, but we were a much more moral country many years ago. We loved our country but we also respected people's religion and remember how and why our country was formed. My interpretation of separation of church and state simply means no religion should be required or pushed down people's throat, not religion should not be a part of our lives. When I heard yesterday there is at least one school district in Or that has even band Santa Claus from any school displays I had to wonder where is our country headed?

Last edited by nmnita; 12-01-2016 at 08:34 AM..

Old 12-01-2016, 08:29 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times
Funny thing, I was thinking about this subject last night, even though I had not seen this thread.

In the skyline of Raleigh, NC, the tallest building has a Christmas Tree on it. I'm non-religious (born/raised Jewish) but really enjoy looking at the lights, and I enjoy the holiday spirit. I wish people Merry Christmas all the time.

So the tree, lit up at the top of the tallest building, in our state capital. Not a person has (or should) say a word. It is on PRIVATE PROPERTY. If it were on the state capitol building, I'd feel different.

99% of the bible thumpers who are whining their PC BS in this thread are hypocrits. If there was a Koran Verse praising Allah put on the school, they'd be crying a river.

Private person or business = OK
Public property = not OK

Very simple.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:30 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,834,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Being that Global Warming as presented is anything but well established, my point stays.
Wait are you trying to say that the climate is NOT warming? Because that is definitely well established. All the arguments are over the proportion of warming driven by humans. There are virtually no scientists in relevant fields that deny that humans have SOME impact on climate change, that would be stupid. All lifeforms have some impact on the environment they exist inside of.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:31 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I worked as a 1:1 Teacher's Assistant in a Public School. One day this 6 year old boy asked me what this thing around his neck (cross) was that his Mother made him wear. He also said instead of books assigned by the teacher to read, his Mom made him read the Bible every night, which he did not understand and was bored with. He also said his Mom made him sit at Mass every Sunday.

Now tell me what a public school teacher should do about this? Sit him down and give him a lecture about Jesus dying on the cross, etc., etc.? Maybe 6 year olds in public schools need to learn the Bible more than their letters and words? Should the Jewish and Hindu 6 year old as well in the class be required to read the Bible in public school?

Although I myself had gone to Catholic school, I was not about to give a RELIGION lesson to this child. That was for his PARENTS to teach him their Religion, not ME. I could have went to work in a CATHOLIC school if I wanted to teach Religion.

I told this little boy to go home and ask his Mom what that thing around his neck was about. I said it was fine if his Mom wanted him to read the Bible at home, BUT he still needed to do his book reading homework assignments.

The outcome of this was that the classroom Teacher, Principal, AND the child's parents had no objection over I handled this situation. His parents decided to put their son in Sunday School classes at their church. Absolutely their choice to do so.

To the OP, do you agree?
I am not the OP, and I agree with you to some degree. But I also see nothing wrong with a certain amount of religion overlapping into education. I also think burning our flag is despicable but it is freedom of speech. Of course you were put in a bad spot. And you handled it well.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:32 AM

23,561 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Big difference between public and private.
Right!

Starting a fire in a crowd in a public is a safety hazard and should be treated as such with heavy fines.

most towns won't allow fires without a permit.

sell permits to burn flags with a thousand saftey restrictions.

when will someone file a lawsuit claiming PTSD or angst when watching a flag being burned in public???

that would stop flag burning in public cold

Take the same tactic the antigun activists do...sure you can keep your guns, you need 3 permits, release your medical records, wait for a month to get yourpermit to purchase and have a NICS check run when you buy ammo if you can find ammo to buy. Raise your homeowners insurance too.

Sure you can burn the flag.......

Old 12-01-2016, 08:34 AM

2,405 posts, read 1,446,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Don't Sweat the Small Stuff / let the muslim women wear the head scarf, let the Christian teacher's assistance displaying her verse, what 's the big deal?
Am I reading this correctly?

The verse was not being worn on her person in obedience to a sincerely held religious belief, was it?

Would you accept an exhortation to obey Sharia law displayed outside a classroom in a public school?

Old 12-01-2016, 08:36 AM

2,405 posts, read 1,446,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I also see nothing wrong with a certain amount of religion overlapping into education.
Is a little Sharia law "overlapping into education" OK?

Old 12-01-2016, 08:37 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
You make the mistake OP of assuming that YOUR morals are the same as everyone else's. Not everyone is Christian or even religious at all. Not everyone values the Bible as much as you or this teacher might. You and this teacher can display all the Bible verses you want on your property or wear them on your bodies for all we care, however if you work as a public school teacher, you cannot display or in any way preach the Bible at all to your students. Our government does value separation of church and state (even if we have references to God on our money and stuff but whatever) and places like public schools will never be friendly to those trying to project their personal beliefs onto their students, no matter how minor and innocuous it might be.

Same goes for political opinions, too; or at least it should. I had a 6th grade teacher who ranted negatively about our then Republican president in class and some kids went home and told their parents, who reported the teacher, and she got into some trouble for it. Teachers in public schools need to remain neutral on religious and political issues and stick to the curriculum. They know this going in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies