Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2016, 09:40 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,840,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Oh don't know that.

according to this website

Households have to meet income tests unless all members are receiving TANF, SSI, or in some places general assistance. Most households must meet both the gross and net income tests, but a household with an elderly person or a person who is receiving certain types of disability payments only has to meet the net income test. Households, except those noted, that have income over the amounts listed below cannot get SNAP benefits.

Eligibility | Food and Nutrition Service
Thats not a good site to quote from. Most counties have their own sites. Its gross, not net, 99% sure.

here is from my counties site:
" You may qualify for benefits if your household’s gross monthly income is at or under 130 percent of the federal poverty guidelines. "

On their application, they ask for gross income. When they have your paystubs and check income, its gross.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 09:41 AM

39,209 posts, read 27,575,665 times
I am a conservative/Republican, I don't believe the government should completely eliminate food stamps or tell the recipients what NOT to buy.

I think cracking down on food stamp fraud is more productive.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:43 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,664,016 times
Here is California people buying soda with food stamps also don't have to pay CRV(recycling deposit). Also if you don't bring your own bag you have to pay 10 cents for a paper bag but people on food stamps get the paper bags free.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
Thats not a good site to quote from. Most counties have their own sites. Its gross, not net, 99% sure.

here is from my counties site:
" You may qualify for benefits if your household’s gross monthly income is at or under 130 percent of the federal poverty guidelines. "

On their application, they ask for gross income. When they have your paystubs and check income, its gross.
I really don't know the point you are making here.

That quote is from United States department of agriculture Food and Nutrition Service

by the way, I am not saying people shouldn't get food stamps. What are we arguing here?

Old 12-01-2016, 09:50 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,725,343 times
Quote:
I am a conservative/Republican, I don't believe the government should completely eliminate food stamps or tell the recipients what NOT to buy.

I think cracking down on food stamp fraud is more productive.

I agree. Who cares if people waste their food stamp benefit on junk food. You can either buy filet mignon at $27.99/lb or hamburger at $5.99/lb. Once you run out of money, you will have to go without. People will learn when their money runs out and there are still two more weeks until they get more.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:52 AM

5,770 posts, read 3,219,640 times
Quote:
I really don't know the point you are making here.

That quote is from United States department of agriculture Food and Nutrition Service

by the way, I am not saying people shouldn't get food stamps. What are we arguing here?
The only thing that we should conclude from this is that the people on food stamps aren't the sharpest tacks in the box when it comes to nutrition.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:52 AM

3,318 posts, read 2,132,650 times
It just seems strange that the discussion of wasteful food stamp expenditures tends to be such a popular and recurring topic when we have [much greater] problems like the following, perpetrated by skilled professionals (rather than poor people): The $272 billion swindle | The Economist

Old 12-01-2016, 09:54 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,664,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
The best way to reduce the SNAP program is to raise the minimum wage to $15/hour, a living wage, so that millions of working poor can have enough money to pay for their own meals. It makes no sense to have a minimum wage so low that working people qualify for government assistance. The only thing $7.50/hour does is increase dependency on the government. In effect every time Republicans vote against higher minimum wages, they are voting for more social services spending.

Raising the minimum wage to $15 will cause inflation and everything will become more expensive. The effect will be that the minimum wage job of $15 and hour will be the same struggle that the $7.50 minimum wage job is now. Minimum wage job are not meant to be careers they are entry level job that require minimal skills. If someone in a minimum wage job wants to increase their wages they should increase their skills, training and education. People should not expect to raise a family on minimum wage and therefore should not have children while making minimum wage. Waiting until you are financially stable to have children is something millions upon millions of people do and have done. If people make bad decisions why should I as a tax payer have to pay for those bad decisions.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
I agree. Who cares if people waste their food stamp benefit on junk food. You can either buy filet mignon at $27.99/lb or hamburger at $5.99/lb. Once you run out of money, you will have to go without. People will learn when their money runs out and there are still two more weeks until they get more.
That is right. Exactly my point.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
The only thing that we should conclude from this is that the people on food stamps aren't the sharpest tacks in the box when it comes to nutrition.
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies