Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2016, 09:51 AM

15,070 posts, read 10,087,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
then why do they buy so much soda?? That's the whole point of the thread. Plus there are plenty of grocery stores to get to if they wanted to. They are just too lazy and don't care about their health.
My take from my personal observations and experience.

The poor are uneducated in healthy living coupled together with poor quality foods being marketed towards that group. In the depression era, poor people were probably equally uneducated but processed/package foods being marketed to them was very limited. It gets worse once dual income becomes a necessity rather than a luxury.

I recall also eating like crap in my time.... parents weren't home to cook a meal or snack. It was common for me to open a can of chef boyardee, heat it up, and eat it right out of the can. I also ate lots of spam, mcDonalds, vienna sausages w/ rice. When you grow up like that, you continue to eat like that as an adult.

The only real meals I got were on weekends; traditional meals from my parent's native country. So in that respect, I did get to experience what a healthy meal looks like which is probably why I eat a lot healthier today. I cannot say the same for others.

In all my years working professionally, I've run into one person who came from similar backgrounds; he ate bags of Doritos at his desk. He admits being addicted to it.... I haven't seen anyone else eat chips/junk food like that in the office.. but most are from more affluent upbringings.

PS> Till this day, I still sneak out and get a 20 piece Chicken Nuggets (maybe once every two months)..... I have no idea why... they really don't taste "that" good. But my father would buy me some to cheer me up when times were tough as a child. Take mine with a tub of Sweet and sour and a tub of BBQ sauce. Probably should stop.... 2000+cal at my age cannot be good.

Last edited by usayit; 12-03-2016 at 10:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2016, 10:00 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,327,898 times
I agree with this, I dont see poor people in whole foods buying 18$ asparagus water, 9$ a pound for kale lemon sausage or organic almond butter or gluten free anything . Just smug liberals shopping. The poor get stuck with kelloggs and all their crappy junk food

Old 12-03-2016, 10:26 AM

88,964 posts, read 44,771,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
My explanation as above.

When minimum wage (or low wagers) is below the COL of any particular area, welfare makes up the difference.
What minimum wage jobs? Dems are always saying they're more intelligent and more highly educated then GOP voters. They call GOP voters low-info. Are you telling us that those supposedly low-info voters need welfare at only half the rate Dem voters do? How can that possibly be?

Old 12-03-2016, 10:26 AM

45,203 posts, read 26,414,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
I agree with this, I dont see poor people in whole foods buying 18$ asparagus water, 9$ a pound for kale lemon sausage or organic almond butter or gluten free anything . Just smug liberals shopping. The poor get stuck with kelloggs and all their crappy junk food
Because they have run the grocery chains out of their neighborhoods they are left to shop at convenience stores and gas stations.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:57 AM

15,070 posts, read 10,087,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
What minimum wage jobs? Dems are always saying they're more intelligent and more highly educated then GOP voters. They call GOP voters low-info. Are you telling us that those supposedly low-info voters need welfare at only half the rate Dem voters do? How can that possibly be?
If you look at my posts in this thread, I don't make this about Democrat vs Republican or Left vs Right. I am neither and I only offer my perspective, thoughts, and personal experiences.

I think it is too unfortunate when a person chooses to make generalizations and throw things into into the left/right bucket and demonize it. That marginalizes/dismisses people's input and thoughts with the excuse of differing ideologies. Its at it core divisive and almost always incorrect... as generalizations are almost always incorrect.

Judging from your posts here... I thought you were smarter than that.

Saying that Democrats are more intelligent and highly educated than GOP voters is a generalization... false one. No more than saying GOP voters are more moral or ethically correct than Democrats. IMO, neither side is capable of offering a good solution(s) to welfare. One wants to give everything.. the other wants to take away everything. Neither care about people and have stopped caring a long time ago.... they only care about winning more influence and power.

LAZY and Simpleton thinking.

Old 12-03-2016, 11:00 AM

37,092 posts, read 41,220,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
It's generally good to check the actual informative links listed on far left or far right sites. Here's what the study actually said:
I would submit though that if someone else is subsidizing your food budget perhaps that 20 cents of each dollar spent on sweetened beverages, desserts, candy, snacks, candy, and sugar would be better spent on more nutritious choices.

Old 12-03-2016, 11:04 AM

88,964 posts, read 44,771,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
If you look at my posts in this thread, I don't make this about Democrat vs Republican or Left vs Right. I am neither and I only offer my perspective, thoughts, and personal experiences.
I realize that, but nearly every day of this election season, GOP voters were told by liberals that they were uneducated and low-info. But yet it's Dem voters who need welfare benefits at twice the rate GOP voters do. So, naturally, I'm wondering how Dem voters can be so intelligent and well-educated but so completely incapable of supporting themselves.

Old 12-03-2016, 11:04 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,524,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
A lot of SNAP recipients live in 'food deserts' were the only places left to buy food are convenience stores. Few sell healthy food options.
Sorry, I don't buy it, most of these people would crawl over hell nuts to get qualified for SNAP, but they can't go out of their way to get to a supermarket? I'd be willing to bet it remains easier to pick up a beef stick and Twinkies for the kids dinner while they're down at the corner store buying their smokes.

Old 12-03-2016, 11:06 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,353,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
Yet I see poor people buying $10 a pack cigarettes and tattoos. Hmmm. I don't shop at Whole Foods and I manage to find plenty of cheap healthy food at grocery stores. I'm not fat and unhealthy. Most people don't even shop at Whole Foods. You don't have to buy "asparagus water." You can use free water, you don't have to buy kale lemon sausage or gluten free anything to be healthy. There are 100s of other cheap options.

Old 12-03-2016, 11:07 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,287,627 times
OMGGGGG NOT SODA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh the humanity. I have a safe space open for all who are hurt and offended by this. Poor, poor dears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies