Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2016, 09:52 AM

1,285 posts, read 597,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I absolutely disagree. SNAP is enabling higher rates of childhood and adult obesity, and therefore costing taxpayers even more money to pay for the poor's obesity-related health problems.
Sugar Tax, problem sorted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 09:52 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,622,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I think they should be able to buy whatever food and drink they want with their food stamp money. If they spend it on expensive things it will run out before the next money comes in. Libs, does a woman's choice to do what they want with their body not include food?
Why are you singling out "libs" for this question? I'm pretty sure the outraged OP is not a liberal.

Old 12-02-2016, 09:58 AM

37,829 posts, read 41,166,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Why are you singling out "libs" for this question? I'm pretty sure the outraged OP is not a liberal.
Not speaking to the OP. Speaking about choice as a lib mantra and being okay with letting a woman decide it's okay to murder a baby because it's her body but not okay for her to buy a 2 liter bottle of Mountain Dew for that same body.

Old 12-02-2016, 10:02 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,622,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Not speaking to the OP. Speaking about choice as a lib mantra and being okay with letting a woman decide it's okay to murder a baby because it's her body but not okay for her to buy a 2 liter bottle of Mountain Dew for that same body.
Oh, okay. Because none of the people on here kvetching about how people spend their food stamps are conservatives. Sorry I missed that, thanks!

Old 12-02-2016, 10:02 AM

1,850 posts, read 825,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
if these people cannot feed their children, I don't think I can just say, "Oh, too bad, we have to starve your kids."
Sure, but if that's the case, then everyone who feels that way should pay for their kids. Instead, everyone who feels that way says "I couldn't say that, so WE will all pay." Uh ...I have no problem saying that, so leave me out of it. Consequences are how people learn. And if you say "that's unfair to the child," then back my plan for forced sterilization of the parent and we can talk.

Old 12-02-2016, 10:05 AM

39,488 posts, read 27,828,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post
Sure, but if that's the case, then everyone who feels that way should pay for their kids. Instead, everyone who feels that way says "I couldn't say that, so WE will all pay." Uh ...I have no problem saying that, so leave me out of it. Consequences are how people learn. And if you say "that's unfair to the child," then back my plan for forced sterilization of the parent and we can talk.
well, I have no solution and won't pretend that I do.

I don't think getting rid of food stamps is in our near future. lol So....

Old 12-02-2016, 10:07 AM

1,285 posts, read 597,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post
Ah, so your not a libertarian afterall.
You're authortarian.

favoring or enforcing strict obedience to authority, especially that of the government, at the expense of personal freedom

Old 12-02-2016, 10:10 AM

1,850 posts, read 825,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well, I have no solution and won't pretend that I do.

I don't think getting rid of food stamps is in our near future. lol So....
There's an easy solution. The solution is no government and rely on charity. People say "that's crazy, nobody would donate." That's odd, so nobody will donate voluntarily, but everyone claims to care deeply about hungry kids? So, in other words, everyone is a liar and spends other people's money to prove their compassion.

If people's kids are starving, then maybe people will learn not to have kids they can't afford. You may say "that's really disgusting." OK, but right now we spend billions ...and people's kids are still starving. So it's not like either I agree with welfare and nobody starves or I disagree and everyone starves and I'm a monster.

Since there are no consequences, as I said, someone can sell their food stamps for alcohol or drugs, their kids starve, and then some idiot on the left goes "proof that we need to spend more!!" You can't make up for unfit parenting with wads of money. People need to learn that.

Old 12-02-2016, 10:11 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,921,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatandFlat View Post
Soft Drink Lobbyist fight hard to protect SNAP.
Along with big sugar, big corn, and big grocer.

They lobby at the federal, state, county and local government levels. Congress and state and local legislators take care of their donors.

Old 12-02-2016, 10:15 AM

89,557 posts, read 45,216,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Actually, the phrase being referred to was "Arbeit macht frei." It is German, it means "work sets you free," and it was, indeed, prominently displayed at the entrances of concentration camps. Look it up.
The German concentration camps have nothing to do with the discussion. We're talking about the U.S.'s CCC Job Corps. It provided jobs, housing, and food for unemployed American men, and 80% of the men's salaries had to be sent home to help their families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies