Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2016, 10:41 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,376,469 times

Advertisements

I like how liberals try to claim that poor people are so overweight because "they don't have access to fresh fruits and vegetables" or can't afford them. But they can afford soda that is the major cause of obesity and diabetes. Please. Lets just tell it how it is. Poor people are overweight because they are lazy, lack self control, and make bad decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 10:43 AM

8,839 posts, read 4,826,844 times
Quote:
Poor people are overweight because they are lazy, lack self control, and make bad decisions.
Why is Trump overweight?

Old 12-02-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman0war View Post
You've reached the wrong conclusion.
It means the people on food stamps are not making the healthiest decisions about what goes into their cart.

They are buying the cheap stuff, which is high sugar, high corn fructose, high calorie crap.
If you want to eat healthy, you gotta open your wallet.

By the way, this is not unique to the US.
I wish i could show you the Roma people i've seen abroad, begging for money and then cramming their fat faces with junk food.
Well water is free. Why are they buying soda then?? Why do most poor people smoke or get tattoos?? If they were so concerned with not being fat they could just spend that money on lower calorie foods.

Old 12-02-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Why is Trump overweight?
Because he's 70, lacks some self control, and makes bad decisions. Have you seen him when he was younger?? He wasn't overweight then. He's not that overweight anyways.

Old 12-02-2016, 10:48 AM

89,557 posts, read 45,216,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Why are you assuming that people who are currently poor have always been poor? Bad things happen. People (with and without children) lose good jobs, and are not always able to find new ones. Or they find new ones, but they pay far less than the one they lost. People get sick, and have their finances devastated by medical bills. People get divorced, and it's usually women and children who suffer most financially as a result.

There are lots of things that can make a person poor besides simple irresponsibility.
It's a known fact that nearly half of all babies born in the U.S. each year are born into poverty. Their births are paid for by Medicaid. It's also a known fact that 70% of those born into poverty never rise above poverty level.

Medicaid reports (as of June 29, 2015) that 48% of all U.S. births are paid for by Medicaid, the welfare health care program for those in poverty.
https://www.medicaid.gov/medicaid-50...men/women.html

70% of them NEVER rise above poverty level.
Only 30% of those born poor ever make it out of poverty

48% of all U.S. babies are born into poverty each year. How is that NOT irresponsibility on the part of their parents?

Old 12-02-2016, 10:52 AM

1,285 posts, read 597,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Well water is free. Why are they buying soda then?? Why do most poor people smoke or get tattoos?? If they were so concerned with not being fat they could just spend that money on lower calorie foods.
I don't think it's recipient that's worried about being overweight.
Its the bregrudgers on this thread.
You know the I.Hate.The.Poor types.

Old 12-02-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post
[snip]
People act like poverty is just a random event away. No, it's not. If it is, then it's actually your own fault because you shouldn't be living so close to the edge that you could fall over by missing one paycheck. I've said it twice already, so this is number three: poverty is largely caused by situations under your control, even if you are born poor. Finish high school, don't get pregnant out of wedlock, don't commit a crime and there's a low chance you'll be poor.

[snip]
Same thing with kids. People just pop them out. They don't actually plan for them, other than saying "how many do I want?" That's considered "responsible," knowing in advance you only want two. So then you just pop out two. And then suddenly it's like, "omg, we can't afford two!" OMG, no way! Should have thought about that before! Guess what, if you can't afford having a kid, you shouldn't have one. Don't have one and then say "huh, well, anyone who won't feed my child obviously hates children and is a Nazi."
Agree 100%!

Old 12-02-2016, 10:57 AM

15,092 posts, read 10,185,609 times
I'm happy these programs are around... but we could make it harder for those to "game" the system.

I would support efforts to make it difficult to double and triple dip into programs.

I would also support prevention of illegal immigrants from applying for SNAP.

Old 12-02-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman0war View Post
Sugar Tax, problem sorted.
No, not sorted. What about the double-dipping, triple-dipping or more from the major taxpayer-funded free food programs for the exact same meals? That still enables egregious overeating, and egregiously high obesity rates.

I already cited the USDA OIG's stat that 59% of all Food Stamp households double-dip, triple-dip or more, benefits for the exact same meals.

Old 12-02-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post
There's an easy solution. The solution is no government and rely on charity. People say "that's crazy, nobody would donate." That's odd, so nobody will donate voluntarily, but everyone claims to care deeply about hungry kids? So, in other words, everyone is a liar and spends other people's money to prove their compassion.

If people's kids are starving, then maybe people will learn not to have kids they can't afford. You may say "that's really disgusting." OK, but right now we spend billions ...and people's kids are still starving. So it's not like either I agree with welfare and nobody starves or I disagree and everyone starves and I'm a monster.

Since there are no consequences, as I said, someone can sell their food stamps for alcohol or drugs, their kids starve, and then some idiot on the left goes "proof that we need to spend more!!" You can't make up for unfit parenting with wads of money. People need to learn that.
I agree 100%. Incidentally, that's exactly WHY the taxpayer-funded free school meals program started. Parents were getting Food Stamps to feed their kids, send them to school with packed lunches, etc., but WEREN'T doing so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies