Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2016, 11:59 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
These are actually very serious societal problems, and will only compound exponentially as time goes on.

I've already posted these known facts:

How do YOU suggest the problem and the obviously unsustainable result be addressed?
Same way you would solve the drug problem, the immigration problem and the food stamp fraud. You go to the root of the problem, wherever it lies and eradicate it there.

For example,

Immigration. Illegals wouldn't come here if there was no work. So the root problem is businesses giving them jobs. the republican congress could have solved the entire problem years ago by making I-9 federally mandatory in all 50 states with a strong government oversight and very stiff fines for employers. Why have they been constantly complaining but yet not doing the one thing that would solve it overnight?

Drugs. Eliminate the demand here in America for drugs and you eliminate the smuggling. You will never stop the smuggler if there is profit to be made.

Food stamp fraud and abuse. Tell the major food lobbies to go take a hike. They are the source of the problem. Don't condemn the poor and ignorant of our society. They have enough problems. From now on people will go to the same supermarket and be allowed to purchase from a short list of healthy products such as meat, seafood, healthy starches such as rice and fresh potatoes, fresh vegetables, and good USDA approved products. When qualifying for snap, all participants should be required to attend sufficient hours of classroom instruction on how to prepare the items from the snap short list of acceptable purchases.
We keep the same delivery systems. We train the individuals in the proper usage of the products received, and we allow the participants to maintain their self esteem and dignity in the process. The only losers are the junk food lobbies.

There, I've just solved all the major alt right whine issues and not one person here can deny that that these are the proper, direct solutions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 12:01 PM

1,431 posts, read 913,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Who said anything about make work? And who said anything about paying them. The work would be required in exchange for receiving the public assistance benefits they get now for free. njquestions gave some very good suggestions. No free rides except for the truly incapacitated. Just throwing ever-increasing amounts of money at the poor hasn't worked to solve the poverty problem, and never will.
Funny that you bring this up. It seems like no one notices the trend of rappers, athletes, etc. that come from nothing, makes millions of dollars, and then file for bankruptcy when their careers are over.

I think welfare is necessary and the premise behind it is good. I think what needs to happen, though, is required financial responsibility classes. How to prioritize money, how to create passive, something. ANYTHING. I think a lotta people stay poor because no one ever teaches them how to invest. I love my mom, but she never taught me because she didn't know either. Now she's flipping real estate. Just my opinion.

Old 12-02-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post
Bluntly: who cares? You just keep making excuses why the only choice is to accept any action of any person with no consequence to themselves.

When someone says that they should work for food and welfare, you say that's unacceptable.

When someone says that they should receive the lowest-cost meals and housing, you say that's unacceptable.

When someone says that they should not be allowed to just have as many kids as they want, you say that's unacceptable.

Nobody actually cares what you find unacceptable. If it's unacceptable, then you should pay for it, which you certainly have a right to do.

If you were totally impoverished and suddenly are making a 6-figure salary, why, then I presume that proves that they can, too. Except then you turn around and claim that they can't because "society." So which is it? Are you the exception or the rule? If you're the rule, we don't need welfare. If you're the exception, then we shouldn't make rules based on you.
That buck seventy five coming out of your taxes each year to pay for the program, really fries your nuts, doesn't it.

Old 12-02-2016, 12:04 PM

1,850 posts, read 820,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
I have yet to hear from you why you think I am anti-business by saying that we should support startups for environmental solution rather than using regulations that end up being more punitive thus turning public opinion against perfectly fine technology.
Because government funding of businesses isn't free market. Pretty sure that's obvious.

Your turn. Now you tell me which of these is un/acceptable to you:

- Poor people don't get cash, they get food handouts.
- The handouts aren't high quality foods, they're subsistence-level basic foods.
- Shelter is minimal and shared.
- You perform manual labor in exchange for food and shelter. You do any labor that a low-skilled person would qualify for, including hard physical labor.
- Your kids also work.

If those are all agreed upon, we can drop forced sterilization.

Alternative: you decide what is acceptable to you and you pay for it, along with all of your friends in northern New Jersey who are all very well-off and leave the rest of us out of it.

Old 12-02-2016, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
That buck seventy five coming out of your taxes each year to pay for the program, really fries your nuts, doesn't it.
If it's a buck seventy five, why don't you cover my share? It's only three fifty. Unless you hate children.

Old 12-02-2016, 12:08 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
Quote:
Because government funding of businesses isn't free market. Pretty sure that's obvious.
You have no freakin clue.

Old 12-02-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
You have no freakin clue.
Good rebuttal. Now answer my question.

Old 12-02-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:

Your turn. Now you tell me which of these is un/acceptable to you:

- The handouts aren't high quality foods, they're subsistence-level basic foods.
- You perform manual labor in exchange for food and shelter. You do any labor that a low-skilled person would qualify for, including hard physical labor.
- Your kids also work.

If those are all agreed upon, we can drop forced sterilization.

Alternative: you decide what is acceptable to you and you pay for it, along with all of your friends in northern New Jersey who are all very well-off and leave the rest of us out of it.
Since Trump plans to greatly expand the private prison system, perhaps we could put all snap recipients in special prisons so we could properly monitor their food intake at barely sustainable diets like gruel, farina and dried oats. Add a little fat back on Sundays. Every morning they and their children could march off to the fields under guard making road gravel out of boulders. Britain had pauper prisons for centuries and got away with it. That would probably be preferable to forced sterilization to most snap recipients.

Old 12-02-2016, 12:13 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,012,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
End welfare.

Work or starve.
As a liberal I gotten so tired of this stupidity that sure, let's end it as a federal program let's do it a state by state basis let's see how many red states put their money where their mouth is and abolish it.

Old 12-02-2016, 12:14 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
Quote:
- Your kids also work.
I actually see no problems with most of that.

* I did say I don't like food stamps (which is a form of currency). I would rather see plan membership of a food pantry. No cash. Nothing that comes close to currency. Eliminate stamp->cash scam.
* I did say that there are certain items that I don't believe should qualify. I would support that.
* I didn't say that shelter should be beyond minimal and shared. However, I do agree. My college had low income dorms that had no A/C and bunks in a 5x10 room for two. Restrooms at the end of the hall. Former military barracks. I think it was fine.. considering I was a poor student financing myself.
* I did say that unemployment should be illegal. Once unemployed and getting benefits you should be a government employee and free to do work that is assigned to you... even if it is manual labor and picking up trash on the street.
* I don't mind kids working. I think the minimum age of working should be lowered. However, this is the same reason that the drop out rate rises dramatically in the last two years of H.S. We need to figure out a balance.

So go F off and rant on someone else who you've targeted as a liberal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies