Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2016, 03:25 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Anti-bullying, healthy eating, those are likable causes.
Oh sure, now healthy eating is considered a great cause for the FLOTUS to get behind.

Quote:
One thing that rubs me the wrong way is this. Michelle Obama said she wanted to be like Beyonce, if she could choose someone to be like. Ironic considering that Michelle Obama is college educated, married to the President, worked in law. Beyonce dropped out of high school and promotes an image of women not too different from what I've seen of Melania Trump's earlier times.
It was an interview for People magazine, of course she was going to choose someone in pop culture. She said she wanted to be like Beyonce because she would like to have her singing voice, not because she wanted to be a high school drop out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 03:28 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,732,744 times
Okay the guy swears way to much, but he pretty much nails the point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHLUA9DxcqQ

While it's nice-seeming that the FLOTUS has become the unelected office of causes in many cases, nobody elected them as anything. They should be given no power or influence beyond redecorating the White House and giving speeches or interviews when asked. In other words, they shouldn't be any more special, important or powerful than any other man or woman in this country.

Old 12-02-2016, 03:50 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Credibility on what? An opinion? Who cares if they think Michelle is ugly. Why are you so scared and defensive against someone's opinion? Are you so unsure of your own opinion of her that you need to attack someone who thinks she's ugly? You put WAY too much weight in to a personal opinion that someone has about her looks.
Yet you are here defending Melania. Why is that?

Old 12-02-2016, 03:51 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonite View Post
^^ Fine examples of unhinged liberals, lol!
Back to your cages!
I'm happy to see liberals start standing up for themselves against bullies. We've been too nice for too long.

Old 12-02-2016, 04:56 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,171,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I will give my 2 pennies on this. I won't make this about conservative vs liberal.

I didn't care less about Melania Trump. She wasn't on my mind. What bothers me are people who keep saying "we need this kind of woman as our First Lady". And it is about looks. We need a woman whose fame comes from marrying a rich man and being a nude model?

I never gave much thought about Michelle Obama's looks. I have to think about this. She may not be my type, but neither is Melania Trump. I don't consider Michelle Obama to be hard on the eyes. I think about this as well. I never heard any griping about how the First Lady looks until Michelle Obama came around. Then the nastiness came out. I don't think this is about Michelle, but rather, a Black woman being First Lady. Or rather, the kind of Black woman that she is. If it was Stacey Dash, it might have been different.

I also want to sum up the lusting for Melania Trump like this: a warped version of patriarchy. Melania embodies what many want in the First Lady: Archetype of a trophy wife. Forget that she posed nude. Or rather, it could be that because she is considered trophy wife material, it's cool that she did.
Exactly.

Old 12-02-2016, 06:32 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonite View Post
^^ Fine examples of unhinged liberals, lol!
Back to your cages!
Well, can you refute anything that we have said to you? If not, then you are the one who is behaving in an unhinged manner. We present facts, you present hyperbolae. Either present an intelligent discourse, or move on.

Old 12-02-2016, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Oh sure, now healthy eating is considered a great cause for the FLOTUS to get behind.

It was an interview for People magazine, of course she was going to choose someone in pop culture. She said she wanted to be like Beyonce because she would like to have her singing voice, not because she wanted to be a high school drop out.
Healthy eating is a good cause to get behind, period.

As for the Beyonce thing, I'm not that into pop culture. I find Beyonce to be overrated, so all of that stuff is more a personal matter to me.

Old 12-02-2016, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I'm happy to see liberals start standing up for themselves against bullies. We've been too nice for too long.
I'm happy to see anyone stand up against any bully, regardless of political affiliation.

Old 12-02-2016, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Most Europeans speak several languages.
Most Europeans I've met, actually, most foreigners that I've met, speak at least 2 languages. Their native language, and English. I've seen this from Kenyans. English, the official language, followed by Swahili, and one's ethnic language. It isn't unusual for anyone to know several languages.

Old 12-02-2016, 07:22 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,431,120 times
She is a beautiful woman! I like just to see her on stage or anytime, whether she helps our country or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies