Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2016, 01:59 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,976,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahboy79 View Post
1 - I think a jump to $15 would hurt alot. I don't know if that would be the actual number but it should increase to something...definiately at least $10. it should be gradual too over the course of a 5-7 years.

2 - What does one have to do with the other? Garbage men make more than teachers. If they are happy with their jobs, what they do and their salary now then it shouldn't matter what others are getting paid. If they do have more valuable skills then i'm sure they will move up to team lead, manager, etc or probably even interviewing elsewhere for advancement.
Regarding #2 - If you currently make $10 an hour and I'm your manager making $15 an hour, thats what they have to do with each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 02:01 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
This was going to happen no matter what. Computers have taken over and the costs just keep going down. It may not have happened today but it would have years from now regardless of the minimum wage. Owners would see that people don't want human interaction and that it's quicker for them to place their order and pay as soon as they want and then that table can be turned over to the next patrons.

The shaded area is unemployment.

What's their hourly wage rate?

It's $0/hour.

Quote:
Increasing minimum wage isn't about making that job a career. It's about keeping up with inflation and maintaining the ability to live. Rent, groceries, gas, etc all increase year after year and you can't keep a salary that low for so many americans.
The purpose of Inflation is to conserve goods, services and resources to prevent them from being destroyed.

You're advocating the destruction of resources.

If you can't "maintain the ability to live" then you need to adjust your Life-Style so that you can live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I believe if you go back further, minimum wage was created so that people wouldn't take advantage of kids....not?
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Statistics are fun for confirmation bias.
Salt Lake City currently has its unemployment down to 2.8% with no minimum wage hike. So by that rationale Seattle's experiment is a failure. The doomsdayers were right. This experiment is now over.
Good point.

Old 12-03-2016, 02:24 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Two things:

1. Currently the minimum wage is about $7.25 on a national average, $15 is more than double that. Doesn't seem to add up.

2. What happens for those making $15/hr now because they have more valuable skills? I don't think I've seen a reasonable answer for this.
They take the jobs that used to pay $7.25 and the "regular" minimum wage people are out of work.

Old 12-03-2016, 02:49 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,960,195 times
Why is it so hard for people to understand that the people making $15/hr now will dramatically improve their bargaining power if the minimum wage is $15?

Instead these people dont want to increase their bargaining power and argue AGAINST it because they fear they will earn as little as minimum wage workers! Its mind boggling how propaganda works to make sure people fight against their own best interests. The donor class literally have to drag people, kicking and screaming, into better living standards.

Old 12-03-2016, 04:08 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,661,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Statistics are fun for confirmation bias.
Salt Lake City currently has its unemployment down to 2.8% with no minimum wage hike. So by that rationale Seattle's experiment is a failure. The doomsdayers were right. This experiment is now over.
Wrong on both accounts.

1)They do have a min wage hike the federal one which is the one many states follow ,so yeah failure on that one.
2)http://www.bls.gov/regions/mountain-...ltlakecity.pdf

wages are already higher in Salt Lake as this link will show you ........so yeah you fail ,again.

Old 12-03-2016, 06:00 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
2 - What does one have to do with the other? Garbage men make more than teachers. If they are happy with their jobs, what they do and their salary now then it shouldn't matter what others are getting paid. If they do have more valuable skills then i'm sure they will move up to team lead, manager, etc or probably even interviewing elsewhere for advancement.
Garbage men in my area are not unionized and work for private haulers. They are probably making in the $15 range which is not a terrible wage where I live. If you lift the minimum to $15 they are going to want a raise and if they don't get it why would they continue doing a nasty and dangerous job when they could just work at McDonald's ? When they all quit the garbage hauler has to increase the wage until he attracts employees.

When the minimum wage goes up wages across the board necessarily rise. If I'm making $15 now because I have experience or whatever reason I'm going to expect more than some pimply faced 16 year old kid. If not I have effectively taken a pay cut. When my wage goes up $25 an hour the guy making $25 an hour because he has more experience is going to want a raise.

Old 12-03-2016, 06:15 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I totally get the anticipated consequences of a $15 minimum wage, but it's not just about unskilled fast food workers in entry level jobs. I am retired and worked in 3 different jobs. Two in banking and one was my husbands company. Of course I got paid a lot by him, but in the two banking jobs, I never made more than $11.50, even with 15 years of experience and as the head teller.
My point is there are plenty of people toiling in semi professional settings who deserve to be paid at least $15. an hour. I only know banking, and banks have been nickel and diming their Customers to death for years, while paying their employees squat. I was in charge of millions of dollars, and I made $11.50.

Old 12-03-2016, 06:17 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Why is it so hard for people to understand that the people making $15/hr now will dramatically improve their bargaining power if the minimum wage is $15?
You are absolutely correct but at the end of the day that $7.50 value meal is now $15.

The value of your labor is what it is, the dollar amount is just a tool we have created to represent that value so we don't need to barter for products of services. If the value of your labor is one value meal that is what it is worth. Increasing the dollar amount does not magically make your labor worth two value meals.

The only thing that is going to change that is market forces such as shortage of people willing to do that job for 1 value meal per hour or you take the initiative and increase the value of your labor.

Old 12-03-2016, 06:23 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,960,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You are absolutely correct but at the end of the day that $7.50 value meal is now $15.

Nope. Not a 100% increase. A 4% increase. The $3.99 Big Mac will cost $4.17 instead.

Study: Raising wages to $15 an hour for limited-service restaurant employees would raise prices 4.3 percent

https://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/rele...3-percent.html

Old 12-03-2016, 06:29 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Nope. Not a 100% increase. A 4% increase. The $3.99 Big Mac will cost $4.17 instead.

Study: Raising wages to $15 an hour for limited-service restaurant employees would raise prices 4.3 percent

https://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/rele...3-percent.html
Or, as has been shown previously in this thread will close down a business when they can't raise prices enough to cover the higher costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies