Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2016, 03:49 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,527,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
OK, here's my commentary on posts 1-40. If I'm being repetitive on some issues, I apologize. I don't have time to read the whole thing right now.

I would like to see where in minimum wage law it is written that min. wage is for kids.

See my previous response. I'd like to see where in McDonald's (Burger King, Arby's Wendy's, etc) business plans it says that.

Exactly! And though I know this has been discussed, I'd like to say for health care workers the doctor's wages must have been factored in to make it as high as in WorkingClassHero's link. I was not making that much as an RN before I retired ~ 1 year ago. Granted, I worked in an office where wages are lower, but there are plenty of HCWs who make even less, e.g. CNAs, CMAs, phlebotomists, etc.

Oh, c'mon! You've raised a family, no? Would you have another baby, and another, and another just to get more welfare, temporarily?

That is more the Libertarian POV. While that might work for professionals, who make well above minimum wage to begin with, it doesn't work for people in very low skill (low wage) jobs who don't have much if any bargaining power. They don't want to do the job for $7.50? Fine, there are plenty more out there who will!

I'll take these two bolds. Yes, I think raising the minimum wage like that would cause a rise for all jobs paying just above the proposed minimum wage, maybe even up to 2X the proposed. Who's going to want to work for $30/hr as an RN when the minimum wage is just 1/2 that? Currently it's now 3-4 X the min. wage, depending on the state.

Yes, the $16.00 per hr employee is going to expect a raise. If min. wage doubles, that person is going to expect $32. Even if you just raise the other worker's wages say, $7.50/hr (assuming that's min. wage in your state) the $16/h employee should expect $23.50.
For one, not everyone works in a profession just for the money, that is the definition of a sell out. I do what I do for a living (truck driver) because I'm talented at it and enjoy it, even with some of the bull I have to put up with whether it be shippers/receivers or LA rush hour traffic. If working at a pizza place suddenly paid slightly less than what I do now, I would still do what I do. I don't do my job "just for the money"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 04:01 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
For one, not everyone works in a profession just for the money, that is the definition of a sell out. I do what I do for a living (truck driver) because I'm talented at it and enjoy it, even with some of the bull I have to put up with whether it be shippers/receivers or LA rush hour traffic. If working at a pizza place suddenly paid slightly less than what I do now, I would still do what I do. I don't do my job "just for the money"
If you were driving trucks for minimum wage, you just might switch jobs if you could make more money.

Old 12-10-2016, 04:03 PM

1,180 posts, read 773,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
The point is, someone now making $15/hr might get just a token raise. I've seen it happen when the starting salary is raised for a job, that current employees do not get a commensurate raise. Sometimes the new employees are making more than long-time employees.

Seriously? "(F)ulfill their intellectual potential"? LOL! In most European countries the decision that a student is college bound, or not, is made in about 8th grade, sometimes younger. Not to mention, I didn't say anything about people forgoing education if minimum wage is raised. That never occurred to me.
Yeah but, Europe sucks.

What's your point?

Old 12-10-2016, 04:35 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,298,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Protesters are still going strong for a minimum wage reset of $15.00 an hour.

Minimum wage was set, many years ago, to keep people/businesses from taking advantage of kids.

years ago, kids worked all the minimum wage jobs....

so, now you raise the minimum wage and what happens...

either the businesses will find a way to do away with the workers, or charge much higher prices...

the ramifications of this will be bad....this isn't a win/win

and the worst thing about this, is, it won't give many an incentive to work hard and do better by themselves, to take night courses, and go the extra mile....to educate themselves and get better jobs.
Currently the US labor market has a real tough time competing, this will only make it harder. I think the forces behind these "protests" know this well enough but their real objective is to cause discontent and a sense that the incoming administration is not for the "little guy"..

Old 12-10-2016, 04:58 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAcapulco View Post
Yeah but, Europe sucks.

What's your point?
My point about college? From PCALMike:
Quote:
Its also a big myth that people will flock to deadbeat jobs and not bother to educate themselves if minimum wage jobs pay better. In every country with much higher effective minimum wage than America, there are no shortage of people wanting to fulfill their intellectual potential.
The reality is that in many of these "other countries" we are always hearing about the college decision is made for the student early on.

Old 12-10-2016, 05:00 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,843,028 times
Raising the wage floor, will increase prices and no working person will benefit and only the retired and fixed income people will be ate up by inflation.

The real problem is federal reserve policy, immigration and trade policy. These policies are driving up prices and stagnating and even driving down wages. Do the reforms there and some wages could increase for some without driving prices up.

Old 12-10-2016, 05:49 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,388,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I don't want minimum wage increases. I want congress to do it's constitutional duty to balance trade and seek surpluses and even tariffs and to regulate immigration all in the best interests of the average American. Then let the market decide wages and prices.

Minimum wage breadwinners are here to stay, and government has no desire to let the private sector resolve the shortage of affordable housing, so the $15/hr crowd is also here to stay, until they get it, at which point the unresolved housing shortage will lead them to demand $20.

Old 12-10-2016, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
Currently the US labor market has a real tough time competing, this will only make it harder. I think the forces behind these "protests" know this well enough but their real objective is to cause discontent and a sense that the incoming administration is not for the "little guy"..

"Relying on government as the source of property rights seldom ends well for the landless."

Because government has no desire to allow the private sector to resolve the growing housing shortage, our chickens are coming home to roost.

Old 12-10-2016, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Yes, locally.
and by locally I mean set the min.wage at the place of employment.

Only if the quality and density of housing is set at the dwelling.

THAT is the cost of excessive housing and land use regulation.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:00 PM

3,010 posts, read 2,263,651 times
$15 is to high it would probably have to many negative consequences but it should at least be tied to inflation so about $10.50 at the least maybe $12 at most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies