Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 10:01 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,904,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Like who? Let's hear some names of who you think is scummy?

The media covers a broad spectrum. There are website media, tv opinion show media like Hannity, broadcasters, journalists for newspapers, journalists for tv media. Bannon, Trump's white supremacist Chief Strategist, is media. Is he included in your scummy definition? Brietbart? Hannity? Kelly? Lauer? Maddow?

There's yellow journalism (Breitbart, National Enquirer), and there's legitimate journalism (NYT, WaPo).

The free press is central to our democracy. It is to be protected and cherished. The first ones that Hitler went after were journalists and academics....the ones who could and would inform the public of things that Hitler didn't want the public to know.

This business of calling journalists "lamestream" because they don't report one-sided news, in accordance with your views, is nonsense and needs to stop. It's an attack on the country.

If you have a problem with some stories, object to the stories and authors. Object to the fake news on Facebook. But stop denigrating the press that we all rely on to inform us of what the politicians and corporations don't want us to know. Everyone knows the far right just says that, anyway.

Who do you think OWNS the media? The working guy or gal? No...it's very rich corporate people, like G. W. Bush, who was on the board of The Carlysle Group, owner of CNN at one time.

Journalists report who, what, when, where, and how. Like it was news that Trump appointed a white supremacist as his Chief Strategist. Why did they report that? They report all his appointments, and the fact that he's a so-called white nationalist is news and something the public should be aware of. The background of ALL the appointments is reported, and that's how it should be. That's their job.

We do not want a press that reports only what a President or other politician or corporate head says it can report. We want the press to report what the powers that be don't want reported. That's their job.
Nah, the guys you like (what you call "legitimate journalism") are pure scum.
Gross, disgusting people, on a personal level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
So true. But there is also alot of paranoia attached to this mentality, there's more to it. Depression and some other mental disorders perhaps?
lol....nice try.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:04 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,589,364 times
Ever notice how local news anchors start out when young ?

Banging on doors to talk to relatives of people who died.

Very sick stuff.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I do watch Fox, but I didn't on election night. I watched MSNBC, and yes, I know they lean left, just as Fox leans right. I'm troubled by CNN, which claims to be right down the middle, but actually is not.

My problem is not so much with media outlets having a slant, but with their denial of said slant, and worse, the failure of people to recognize it when they see it.

I'd like to point out that part of my question was not only what you consider mainstream, but what you consider trustworthy. I dislike Infowars and Breitbart, not only because they are far too conservative for my taste, but because, and mostly because, they tend to buy into conspiracy theories, which I dislike on either side of the aisle, and because they play to people's emotions with sensationalized stories, rather than simply presenting the facts. I know people who accept both as gospel. There are "lefty" sites I tend to avoid for the same reason, and I know people who never question them, either.

Ultimately, I like to see a story presented on multiple sites before I reach a conclusion about its veracity.

For pure objectivity, I like NPR, which I know many on the right will dismiss immediately, and BBC, for the simple reason that they don't have a dog in this fight, and seem be a bit clearer-eyed as a result.
MSNBC does a lot more than "lean left". They are leftist radicals and pure propagandists. And not an ounce of honesty.
CNN?......lol
As I said, Infowars hurts their trust level with the 9/11 stuff. Other than that, they provide a needed service. And like Breitbart, they cover things that you would NEVER see covered by the pukes in the mainstream press.
Breitbart has zero credibility problems. None. You may not like what they say, but they aren't lying scum like the mainstream media.
The words "objectivity" and "NPR" should never be used in the same sentence....not if you want to be taken seriously. They are the poster child for reprehensible media creatures! I listen to 20-25 hours a weeke of them, as I drive a lot and like to see what my enemy is doing. They are amazing in their use of pretense.....which is to say, pure lying. BBC is the British equivalent. I would literally disown any relatives who worked for either nasty, foul propagandist.

Old 12-03-2016, 12:13 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,585,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
This was perfectly stated. It is also very dangerous to be incessantly harping on and seeing half of your country as 'enemies.' Polarization is never a good thing for a society.
Thank you. It wasn't easy to say, given its potential to tick off not just those I disagree with, but those on "my side."

I try. Sometimes I wonder if it's worth it, honestly.

Old 12-03-2016, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
MSNBC does a lot more than "lean left". They are leftist radicals and pure propagandists. And not an ounce of honesty.
CNN?......lol
As I said, Infowars hurts their trust level with the 9/11 stuff. Other than that, they provide a needed service. And like Breitbart, they cover things that you would NEVER see covered by the pukes in the mainstream press.
Breitbart has zero credibility problems. None. You may not like what they say, but they aren't lying scum like the mainstream media.
The words "objectivity" and "NPR" should never be used in the same sentence....not if you want to be taken seriously. They are the poster child for reprehensible media creatures! I listen to 20-25 hours a weeke of them, as I drive a lot and like to see what my enemy is doing. They are amazing in their use of pretense.....which is to say, pure lying. BBC is the British equivalent. I would literally disown any relatives who worked for either nasty, foul propagandist.
That is seriously sad. I don't mean your political views, although they are clearly quite different from my own. I mean the fact that you would cut all ties with a family member over...well, anything, really. Damn.

Old 12-03-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
That is seriously sad. I don't mean your political views, although they are clearly quite different from my own. I mean the fact that you would cut all ties with a family member over...well, anything, really. Damn.
lol....you either are disingenuous, or miss the (simple) point.

I wouldn't do it "over anything".....just over something truly vile. Such as the family member working for the mainstream media.

Old 12-03-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
lol....you either are disingenuous, or miss the (simple) point.

I wouldn't do it "over anything".....just over something truly vile. Such as the family member working for the mainstream media.
Oh, I understand your point very well. Working for the mainstream media would mean, in your opinion, supporting a view with which you disagree (never mind the fact that even very liberal newspapers usually have a few conservative columnists on staff.)

When I think of "truly vile," I usually think of things like rape and murder. I probably would disown someone I loved for those things, but that's about all. I certainly wouldn't do it because I didn't like their employer.

Old 12-03-2016, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Oh, I understand your point very well. Working for the mainstream media would mean, in your opinion, supporting a view with which you disagree (never mind the fact that even very liberal newspapers usually have a few conservative columnists on staff.)

When I think of "truly vile," I usually think of things like rape and murder. I probably would disown someone I loved for those things, but that's about all. I certainly wouldn't do it because I didn't like their employer.
The Lani Riefenstahls of our day shouldn't get a free pass.

Old 12-03-2016, 03:26 PM

4,794 posts, read 2,799,413 times
Default Ihre Papiere bitte

Quote:
The Lani Riefenstahls of our day shouldn't get a free pass.

So you're characterizing someone on the US political scene - a Democrat, no doubt - as Hitler? As a Nazi? & who might that be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies