Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 02:13 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times

Advertisements

He's liberal, young, energetic, and could put a fresh face on the Democratic Party. He would likely have much greater success at energizing Millennials than Hillary did (he would be more akin to Obama in that department). He's a strong believer in social justice and I think he would be a stark contrast to Trump in the 2020 election He also doesn't have the baggage from decades of scandal that Hillary was weighed down with. I think he could be a win for the Democratic Party.

On the other hand, I would worry about his ability to win the red-leaning swing states that Democrats must capture to win (Florida, North Carolina) as well as the Midwestern blue wall which after this election appears to have a crack in it. Still, I think Newsom is the type of face the Democratic Party needs. What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 02:19 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Do you mean this fellow?

Gavin Newsom Caught Plagiarizing Attack on Donald Trump

Well he does sound like a Democrat and like someone who would run California. i.e. Maybe a younger version of Grey Davis. However I think his national appeal would be very limited.

Old 12-02-2016, 02:19 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
Just as likely is Kate Brown of Oregon, the first bi-sexual governor. All these "conservatives" who are swearing that they're "alright" with non-straight marriage and other activity, would be put to the truth test. Although I wouldn't pretend to approve of her personal life, she seems to be doing a great job as Oregon's governor and was recently elected after serving as governor on a replacement accession from sec. of state, for almost two years, by a very large margin. She's moderately young and would chalk-up more than one affirmative-action points, by being elected as president. She gives very good speeches, devoid of contention, insults and political hyperbole and has impeccable educational and political credentials. She'd provide a very genteel alternative to the atrocity that is coming now.

Last edited by Steve McDonald; 12-02-2016 at 02:40 PM..

Old 12-02-2016, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Do you mean this fellow?

Well he does sound like a Democrat and like someone who would run California. i.e. Maybe a younger version of Grey Davis. However I think his national appeal would be very limited.
Yeah, he is running for CA governor in 2018. I do believe his problem would be appealing to the heartland. He would likely be very popular up and down the west coast and in the Northeast. However, if Obama could do it I am sure he could find a way.

That instance of plagarism is small potatoes compared to some of the things the President we just elected has done.

Old 12-02-2016, 02:25 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Just what people in Scranton, Dayton, and Green Bay can relate to!

Old 12-02-2016, 02:25 PM

1,008 posts, read 487,110 times
I thought California was leaving?

Do hurry up with that.We don't need you metastasizing into other states.

Old 12-02-2016, 02:26 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,029,032 times
He's a fringe, left wing nut job that probably couldn't win as Mayor of quite a few towns in CA much less the Presidency of the United States. He would get slaughtered, rightfully across the country.

This country doesn't exactly see the "values" or politics of San Francisco as normal or anywhere near acceptable for normal human beings.

Old 12-02-2016, 02:26 PM

20,457 posts, read 12,373,731 times
as a conservative that hopes democrats never get control of anything ever again, YES. Gavin is the guy you need to run for POTUS!

Old 12-02-2016, 02:28 PM

4,657 posts, read 4,116,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Do you mean this fellow?

He's a clown.

He also famously cost gays in Cali the right to marry with his offensive "whether you like it or not" speech.

Old 12-02-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
He's a clown.

He also famously cost gays in Cali the right to marry with his offensive "whether you like it or not" speech.
At least he was consistent on gay marriage from the beginning. A lot of Democrats supported it secretly (Hillary and Obama both being among them) but wouldn't come out and say it until around 2012 when it was clear the tide was turning in terms of popular opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies