Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 08:44 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times

Advertisements

The victim wasn't a danger, I hope they do the trial again and he gets convicted... he should rot next to Hillary and Lynch...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2016, 09:04 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,371,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Given that the cop shot him and tried to plant a taser on him, I'd say running away from the corrupt psycho was a good idea.
Speculative to be sure but no more than many judgemental posts who condemn and agree with death by multiple gunshots into back after being tased..but of course no officer cam to indicate what this COP said to him..

It's quite possible he said something that indicated clearly to Walter Scott..this rear light out issue was only an excuse to confront/threaten ..then he ran..after all those trailing electrodes could be seen flying behind Walter as he ran..SO Slager had already tased him..pulling away, dislodged the connection and actual taser got left back 35+ feet!! I wonder at what point Slager EVER lost control that Taser..obviously he was holding it..when Walter Scott took off..thus left back 35+ and had to go back and PLANT it beside the DEAD Walter Scott!

I watched a lot of this trial..and I'm sorry " Fear for my life" excuse has not just run thin..but has become a FALSE claim most of time ..because actual video show often the LIE that sworn statements. In the past was always ASSumed to be truthful. The sooner Rogue Cops get outed for their sworn LIES.. LIAR should be charged with perjury as well! Far too many GOOD Cops get painted negatively with broad brush because of the few

Old 12-04-2016, 01:32 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,086,140 times
He was wanted for some child support warrant if I recall... The ex officer did not know this

The officer claimed the dead man stole his Taser from him...and that he was afraid he might use it on him... Which even if one accepts this premise doesn't hold water unless the person is actively fighting with you ...and from what I know he wasn't... During trial the e officer tried to claim tbey did have a fight

He also claimed he was trained to account for equipment at all times and that's why he retrieved the Taser and dropped it by the dead man..even if this could be proven
I don't buy it for a second

Unjustified shooting ethically...legally... Morally...

If the jury hangs he will be returned and convicted... To me this is a dead slam case for manslaughter

Old 12-05-2016, 01:52 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,366,985 times
Judge declares mistrial.

1(maybe more) juror could not find guilt.

Hopefully they get 12 people with a conscience involved for a retrial. Nobody shoots an unarmed man running away from them, and later plants evidence who isn't guilty of murder. That person should be ashamed. Americans have this warped view that cops should be able to kill anyone.

Would they convict if the shooter was black and the victim white? Of course. Would they convict if the victim was someone they knew? Of course. What a racist or completely mentally incompetent (and still likely racist) piece of garbage who obviously lied to get past voir dire.

Old 12-05-2016, 01:53 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,290,251 times
Riot Riot Riot Riot Riot Riot Riot Riot Riot Riot

https://gma.yahoo.com/judge-declares...opstories.html

Old 12-05-2016, 01:59 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,648,053 times
Anyone who wonders how this juror could hold out. Just read some of the post in here. Some people will never convict a cop. Especially if the cop is white and the perp is Black.

There is no way anyone can watch that video and think the cop was terrified for his life when he shot that man.

This is simply racism at its finest.

Old 12-05-2016, 02:14 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
That's most people's reactions based on what they think they law is or should be. Unfortunately, the law isn't so clear here in this case when it comes to the use of force allowed by police officers.

As is being discussed in another thread, the common law allows for deadly force against fleeing fugitives, regardless of whether they are armed or not. But its not clear whether South Carolina abides by the traditional common law rule on this issue or whether it has adopted the US Supreme Court opinion in Tennessee vs. Garner (which held that the common law did not apply in civil case) for criminal matters. Of course, while Garner was concerned with a civil statute/liability, nothing prevents states from applying that case to criminal matters.

What complicates matters is the case Sheppard v. State, 594 S.E.2d 462, 473 (2004), where the South Carolina Supreme Court noted that:

The first sentence seems to suggest that the traditional common law understanding on the use of force allowed to police officers in apprehending a fugitive is in effect. However, the Court then clouds things further by citing to Tennessee vs. Garner, while noting that Garner imposed a stricter standard.

All in all, though, given the confusion over this opinion, I say that some sort of qualified immunity principle should shield the officer in question here (assuming you're referring to the case that I think you are) from a finding of guilt in this case. Some may not like it (hell, I don't like it), but I don't see how a fair application of the law should result in a murder conviction for the officer in the Walter Scott case (he may very well be guilty of other crimes . . . that I do believe).

This article explains what I just wrote in a little more detail: Does officer who shot Walter Scott have a defense? State law there
Thanks for the link to the article. Very interesting read. I still wonder, however, how the case was presented by both sides, that eleven jurors came to one conclusion and this one didn't. The fact that a note was sent to the judge saying there was a problem with said juror, and to please get rid of him, is also curious.

Old 12-05-2016, 02:16 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post

Would they convict if the shooter was black and the victim white?
i dunno. let's ask OJ.

Old 12-05-2016, 02:20 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,342,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Anyone who wonders how this juror could hold out. Just read some of the post in here. Some people will never convict a cop. Especially if the cop is white and the perp is Black.

There is no way anyone can watch that video and think the cop was terrified for his life when he shot that man.

This is simply racism at its finest.
This. 100% this.

People that think racism is a made up thing or that it doesn't impact blacks and others is crazy. The justice system is very tilted against them from the start. Some of that is 100% deserved, some not but it is certainly tilted against them.

I recognize that blacks have some serious issues to deal with in their own communities. There is plenty of finger pointing to be done there for sure. However, to pretend that there are no issues or fingers to point elsewhere is a bald face lie. There is a perversion of justice for the poor and targeted vs the rich or middle class and given the benefit of the doubt.

Old 12-05-2016, 02:41 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
When this was initially reported, Scott said the guy was a threat because he tried to overtake him and tried to take his taser. The video shows him dropping it near the dead body.

In court, he said he purposely moved the taser so nobody could come along and pick it up.

The guy is a damn liar. There's evidence on video that nobody tried to overtake him or grab his taser.

And the judge just ruled it a mistrial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies