Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 08:50 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,435,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Legally? No but it happens and you'll find many that will excuse it.
Of course you'll find people who will excuse it just as you'll find people who call for the murder of cops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2016, 08:52 AM

79,900 posts, read 43,863,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Of course you'll find people who will excuse it just as you'll find people who call for the murder of cops.
With both being sadly wrong.

Old 12-03-2016, 09:01 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,435,269 times
As long as the government has over 100,000 armed agents roaming the streets looking for people they suspect may have done something wrong, you're going to have innocent people shot. That is just a fact that nothing is going to change. It's the human factor.

And the human factor will also present itself when it's time to punish.

Frustrations, on both sides, will increase the problem.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:23 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,062,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
If I were a cop, I would not feel obligated to shoot someone who is fleeing. It just puts you at risk of being prosecuted by some liberal prosecutor and found guilty by a liberal jury. I'd prefer to let the criminal flee back into the liberal comminity he came from to victimize liberals.
Bingo

By POLICY we cannot shoot fleeing felons

We can shoot anyone posing an imminent threat to life...

Reasonable... necessary..and fully justified by the circumstances

That's it...

Who wants to lose their job over some scote...

We always win in the end anyway..no need to accelerate it and place yourself at risk

Old 12-03-2016, 11:37 AM

18,126 posts, read 15,513,482 times
Ther's a clause in the law here about "fleeing felons". When the first castle doctrine law was enacted here in the mid 80s it was labeled the "make my day law" by the MSM. 60 Minutes did an interview with its author, then Washoe county DA Mills Lane about it.

The law and that clause was precipitated by a case where two skells had been hitting an apartment complex on a regular basis, breaking in and stealing things. The manager caught them coming out of a unit with the swag and shot them when they tried to run. One in the buttocks and the other in the leg. Mills refused to prosecute the manager and the "make my day" law followed. A criminal in commission of a felonious crime is assumed to be a danger to the public, and shooting them in flight from the scene is legal.

60 Minutes tried to scorify Mr. Lane (the single most popular elected official ever to take office in NV) and he stuffed it down their throats. They asked him if he was considering how the rest of the country was looking at NV and thinking we are some "wild West cowboy" bunch of gunslingers. Lol, his response was "Well, they don't have to live here do they?! As far as I'm concerned this type of action deters crime.!"

There are situations where a criminal fleeing the scene both needs and richly deserves shooting. The caveat on this law here, however, is that a crime must have been committed or is in progress before its justified to shoot. Which makes sense to me.

Old 12-03-2016, 11:41 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,367,328 times
Here's a thought.

Don't make the life choices which will put you in conflict with the police in the first place.

That way you won't need to run.

Old 12-03-2016, 01:43 PM

30,462 posts, read 17,882,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Bingo

By POLICY we cannot shoot fleeing felons

We can shoot anyone posing an imminent threat to life...

Reasonable... necessary..and fully justified by the circumstances

That's it...

Who wants to lose their job over some scote...

We always win in the end anyway..no need to accelerate it and place yourself at risk
This is the N. Charleston, SC police department policy, which means that the police department is justified in firing anyone who fails to abide by this policy. However, policy does not equal law. And, as I and the OP have explained, the officer doesn't appeared to have broken any law here. Now that pains me and I think that the law needs to be updated, but this doesn't change the reality on the ground.

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 12-03-2016 at 02:09 PM..

Old 12-03-2016, 02:03 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,116,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I would assume worst-case scenario. Besides, I wouldn't want to shoot a conservative.
Liberals are victims.

Conservatives fight back.

Old 12-03-2016, 02:11 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,094,225 times
Amazing how far people will go to excuse a cop who while in absolutely no danger to himself or any others - shoots a FLEEING man in the back eight times. All the rest of that "legal analysis" is just BS.

Old 12-03-2016, 02:15 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,887,218 times
The concept of the "outlaw" is interesting. It literally meant that you were considered outside the law and that people could kill you on sight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies