Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 07:54 AM

16,761 posts, read 8,203,610 times

Advertisements

Here I am in a GOP controlled county. Prices for land and homes went up in 2007 yet the tax rate never went down. Last year, as prices are starting to rebound from 2010, they hand out a real estate tax increase with the line that lower values need to create a higher mil rate.

To me its because of the loss of state funds caused by the state eliminating funding because of a need to make the flat tax look like its a good thing.

When you only see one side of an issue based on liberal or conservative you miss the entire picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2016, 07:57 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,638,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Here I am in a GOP controlled county. Prices for land and homes went up in 2007 yet the tax rate never went down. Last year, as prices are starting to rebound from 2010, they hand out a real estate tax increase with the line that lower values need to create a higher mil rate.

To me its because of the loss of state funds caused by the state eliminating funding because of a need to make the flat tax look like its a good thing.

When you only see one side of an issue based on liberal or conservative you miss the entire picture.
You seem way off base.

Old 12-04-2016, 08:17 AM

1,194 posts, read 725,589 times
Quote:
I will try to be polite but you are a nut case.
Yeah...im nut case especially when I'm paying thousands of dollars in property taxes every year.

And regards to

Quote:
Now you come back and try to tell us that at the age of 60 you have no idea how the property tax on your home is valued and why or what it is used for?
Yeah...im going to believe the liberal moonbats "BS" how my tax money is being used...yeah...right!!!

Old 12-04-2016, 08:23 AM

23,946 posts, read 15,052,675 times
You could always move.

Old 12-04-2016, 08:25 AM

39,168 posts, read 27,558,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
With all do respect and I don't want the Mods mad so I will try to be polite but you are a nut case.Last night you try to work people up with the food bar stuff and all it did was show you lack of education when it comes to common everyday shopping.
Now you come back and try to tell us that at the age of 60 you have no idea how the property tax on your home is valued and why or what it is used for?Oh yeah at it's all the Dems fault.I honestly believe if ignorance is bliss, you must be in heaven!

With all due respect, even the genius asks questions or makes mistakes. Point is, we can all benefit from opportunities to sharpen the saw and minimize our mistakes. No? So instead of telling people, "You are just ignorant", maybe answer his question is more productive.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding property taxes, I am not an expert in this area. Based on what I know, (and if I remember it correctly), The explosive growth in house prices in high-cost cities is fueled by three factors: the scarcity of housing units, the growing number of high income families in the United States, and the fact that high-income families have been willing to outbid lower-income families for scarce housing in preferred locations.

Part of the rise in house prices , maybe half, reflects general inflation. The rest of it is probably the land component, the supply of which is fixed, and the lumber component which is deependent upon the availability of land.

There are two reasons for your property taxes to increase: (1) a tax rate (millage) increase, or (2) an increase in the appraised value of the property.

It is not really a bipartisan issue.

Old 12-04-2016, 08:28 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,628,827 times
With liberal policies in place,

I HAVE AN INCENTIVE TO MAKE LESS AND BE LESS PRODUCTIVE NOT MORE.

Any fool with half a brain can see the problem here. I have literally talked to people that do not want to make more money because to do so would be a reduction of Government benefits.

We are heading in the wrong direction. That direction has been down not up.

Any system that provides incentives for not progressing is NOT progressive.

Old 12-04-2016, 08:29 AM

58,937 posts, read 27,247,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
Awhile back I went to the tax assessor office to see why property taxes has increased so much over the years. I was told that since properties have increased dramatically. The tax assessment is just reflecting the increased property valuation. I'm thinking to myself what the hell does the city care what my home is worth. As long as the city is meeting its budget its none their business what my home is worth. No the liberal moonbats have to shake us hard working stiffs for more cash to pay for all their loony policies. What gets me a lot of our property taxes are paying welfare benefits for illegals that's blessed and condoned by our head honcho mayor liberal moonbat Marty Walsh. And you wonder why Massachusetts liberal moonbat land has one of the highest property taxes in the country. Its depressing living in blue state. If i didn't have family and friends here I would leave in heartbeat!!!
" I would leave in heartbeat" To where?

Old 12-04-2016, 08:33 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,350,417 times
Quote:
Yeah...im nut case especially when I'm paying thousands of dollars in property taxes every year.

And regards to

Yeah...im going to believe the liberal moonbats "BS" how my tax money is being used...yeah...right!!!
Sounds like you need to read your city's annual financial report and then get yourself to a council meeting where you can ask questions, but I'm thinking that's as unlikely to happen as you boiling and mashing your own potatoes. So much easier to just make vague and unsupported criticisms on the internet.

Old 12-04-2016, 08:35 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,245,863 times
Quote:
Awhile back I went to the tax assessor office to see why property taxes has increased so much over the years. I was told that since properties have increased dramatically. The tax assessment is just reflecting the increased property valuation. I'm thinking to myself what the hell does the city care what my home is worth. As long as the city is meeting its budget its none their business what my home is worth. No the liberal moonbats have to shake us hard working stiffs for more cash to pay for all their loony policies. What gets me a lot of our property taxes are paying welfare benefits for illegals that's blessed and condoned by our head honcho mayor liberal moonbat Marty Walsh. And you wonder why Massachusetts liberal moonbat land has one of the highest property taxes in the country. Its depressing living in blue state. If i didn't have family and friends here I would leave in heartbeat!!!
Actually, you can thank Mitt Romney for those high property taxes and a lot of other expenses in Mass. He cut fat and spending to the bone so local governments had to make the shortfall with property taxes.

Perhaps you could do a little homework regarding the state you hate so much.

Oh, and Mass also has some of the highest wages in the country, health care (come to Florida if you would like to pay sky-high health insurance premiums due to our jackass governor), and one other thing-- Romney is a conservative moonbat, not a liberal.

How Mitt Romney handled Massachusetts' spending problems | Tampa Bay Times

Mitt Romney's tax record: Tax cutter or tax hiker? - May. 31, 2012

Old 12-04-2016, 08:39 AM

1,194 posts, read 725,589 times
Quote:
There are two reasons for your property taxes to increase: (1) a tax rate (millage) increase, or (2) an increase in the appraised value of the property.
With all due respect the real main reason for property tax increases is accurately explained by another following poster:

Quote:
I know this does not apply to all Government Workers...However in my experience dealing with government workers it seems that most wouldn't make it in the private sector... I think the following from a government employee proves my point...

"it is assumed that the government employee is lazy. This is a fairly accurate assumption. While not true for each and every employee, it is correct for most. When you become employed by the government, what usually happens is you become part of a union. This is a good thing for the employee, because from this point on, he or she has job security. As long as you do not do something enormously stupid, chances are you will never be fired. Lectured, yes. A bad mark on your permanent record, maybe. Pressured to quit, certainly. But if you have stamina and balls, then you have a job for the rest of your life. As soon as you get comfy, the slack begins. Hour lunches turn into hour and a half lunches. Work starts at 9:00 AM, but if you get here 9:30 AM, you're still on time. Go figure. And best of all, you get "wash up" time which means that at 4:50 PM every day you are excused to go "wash up", which means you get to bail and get on the T early, as opposed to the rest of the other poor schmucks working around Government Center who get out at 5:00 PM. You would think that the government employees are leaving early as you see them running out of City Hall at this time, but in fact, the people who are leaving early are already home because they left anywhere around 4:30 PM. So counting smoking breaks (which you learn to take even if you don't smoke), regularly scheduled 15-minute breaks, getting in late, leaving early, extended lunch, and of course social gatherings around the water cooler... the average employee may work approximately four hours, while being paid for seven. This is the epitome of being lazy.

Lastly, resentment. I do believe some people are jealous of the so called high life that the government employees take advantage of. Plenty of people try to acquire one of these positions, but usually people get promoted from within. Unless you are related to someone, or sleep with someone, your chances of getting a job here are slim to none. And no... I didn't sleep with anyone (this time) to get my job, I took a co-op position which most any loser can acquire for a small fee. Close enough for government work is so true. Half assed is standard around here. You get a small amount of power to bully the average citizens. As they say, power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. This all contributes to the bitter and pompous attitude of the government employee.

Now, don't get me wrong. I dread being a government employee. It is not the ideal work environment. We get 13 paid holidays, the internet connection is pretty fast, and you can slack consistently, but there's no free snacks, no fooseball and there is the fear of being a government employee for the rest of your life. I want out. But I am also perplexed, because I don't actively pursue another job. I just sit and gripe and node on the taxpayer's buck. I think I am on my way to being a really great government employee. So if you run into me, ask me how the job search goes. In the meantime, I am a government employee. Hear me snore.... ROAR. I mean roar."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies