Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 07:58 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
True. But the enemy in Viet Nam didn't want to come here and blow things up. Their goal was to take the South and stay there. Terror tactics here would have been counter productive to their goals. Giap wasn't a fanatic and neither was Ho Chi Minh. Trying to attack targets in the US with infiltrators would have strengthened US resolve and weakened the public opinion against the war.
I think you missed the point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Vietnamese has a different culture, too. I know i will get a lot of negative remarks for my next statement, I know that Vietnam war is highly unpopular, but ask any south Vietnamese, they view Americans as their saviors, do they not?
North Vietnamese are not anti-US either. The point someone was trying to make was that we should not take any people in from hostile countries, and I offered Vietnam as an example where we took lots of people in although it was very hostile.

Old 12-05-2016, 08:30 AM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
well, Most Vietnamese refugees came to America seeking an end to violence, but many of these youngsters came with the only life style they knew. As orphans or part of war-separated families, they started running in child gangs in Vietnam for sheer survival.

I don't have any solutions. If you bring morality into the discussion, you won the debate, every single time. After all, how can anybody deny the importance of saving lives?

However, Bottom line is that

People get used to using violence to settle their disputes, and it is difficult to find a way to unlearn those behaviors,You end up with a warlord economy which is incredibly hard to break and which does lead to a constant renewal of conflict--as it will in Afghanistan.

Take a look at Europe, The vast majority of refugees arrived by sea but some migrants have made their way over land, principally via Turkey and Albania.

Speaking to the Guardian, the UN high commissioner for refugees, António Guterres, said: “If you look at those displaced by conflict per day, in 2010 it was 11,000; last year there were 42,000. This means a dramatic increase in need, from shelter to water and sanitation, food, medical assistance, education.

“The budgets cannot be compared with the growth in need. Our income in 2015 will be around 10% less than in 2014. The global humanitarian community is not broken – as a whole they are more effective than ever before. But we are financially broke.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-broke-failing

Tough situation, indeed. I doubt anybody have any other solutions. Like I said earlier, of course if you bring morality into the discussion, you won.

Old 12-05-2016, 09:02 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,014,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Currently they are screened for up to two years. Yes, there is no perfect way. We took lots of Vietnamese in and they came from a very hostile place.

South Vietnamese. Allies.

Old 12-05-2016, 09:56 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I think you missed the point.

No, I don't think I did. Equating refugees from Viet Nam to refugees from "hostile" areas today is like using refugees from Europe during WW2 the same way. The "refugee" situation today is quite different from both those examples. Current refugees are coming from areas that are extremely hostile to the US, and said refugees harbor that hostility. They are not coming here with the intention of escaping anything other than the poorest of living conditions. Which they blame on the US.

They share ideology with the same people who have torn their home countries to shreds. Its quite a different situation.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
South Vietnamese. Allies.
Good. Now we are getting somewhere. The argument was that we cannot accept any people from an AREA which is hostile. Vietnam, including South Vietnam was very hostile, but not everyone in the area was hostile. Some were hostile, while others were friendly. In mid-east some are hostile, and some are allies. For example the Iraqis are on our side fighting ISIS. We have accepted 150 000 Iraqis into the US since the invasion, and none have committed any hostile acts in US.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
They share ideology with the same people who have torn their home countries to shreds. Its quite a different situation.
Do the 42 000 Iraqi Christians who are now in US share the same ideology as the terrorists?

Old 12-05-2016, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red as Gold View Post
None?
Why don't they build the whole plane out of Iraqis

Note: black box reference not a September eleventh reference.
Yes, none of the 150 000 Iraqi refugees we have taken in since the invasion has committed hostile acts in US.

Whatever the rest of your post was supposed to means remains a mystery.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:31 AM

29,469 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
In a nutshell, this is exactly what we are doing when we allow "refugees" from hostile territories into America.

The Trojan horse analogy is appropriate.

No not all are dangerous. The MAJORITY aren't I'm sure, but as we can see, it only takes a few to do some massive damage.

Why does this concept not make sense to so many?

Pick your favorite high crime neighborhood in your area.

Would you just let someone into your home from these areas if they came knocking on your door?

Forget about all the ways media spins this concept and just think about this for a second, and then respond.

That would be a negative ! And I'm just as baffled as you as to how one can think this is okay.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:34 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,014,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
In a nutshell, this is exactly what we are doing when we allow "refugees" from hostile territories into America.

The Trojan horse analogy is appropriate.

No not all are dangerous. The MAJORITY aren't I'm sure, but as we can see, it only takes a few to do some massive damage.

Why does this concept not make sense to so many?

Pick your favorite high crime neighborhood in your area.

Would you just let someone into your home from these areas if they came knocking on your door?

Forget about all the ways media spins this concept and just think about this for a second, and then respond.
Oh, but we are a nation of immigrants and Hitler killed Jews and Trump is a fascist and the USA and only the USA has a duty to allow anyone and everyone to come here, legally and illegally. And if you don't think so you are a ___ -ist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies