Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2016, 04:51 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,458,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
As best as I can tell, the following actions involving tariffs were taken:

George Bush did in 2002 with Proclamation 7529.

Bill Clinton did in 1995 & 1999 with Proclamations 6821 & 7210.

Reagan did in 1981 with Proclamation 4876.

Carter did in 1976 with Proclamation 4480.

Gerald Ford did in 1974 with Proclamation 4304.

As far as Presidents unilaterally withdrawing from treaties, Carter withdrew from a defense agreement with Taiwan. Reagan nixed an FCN (Friendship, Commerce and Navigation) Treaty with Nicaragua. George W Bush withdrew from an ABM Treaty with Russia, just to name a few of the most well-known examples.

However, Free Trade Agreements are binding only under international law, but not under US domestic law.

Why?

Because the Trade Act of 1974 (and it predecessor acts) grant the President sweeping powers regarding bilateral and multilateral trade agreements -- including levying tariffs among things -- which must be ratified by both the Senate and the House, unlike an actual Treaty which is ratified only by the Senate.

There are about 20 FTAs in effect, and no President has withdrawn from one as of yet.

In Zivotofsky v. Kerry 135 Supreme Court (2015), the US Supreme Court granted the President several exclusive powers as Chief Diplomat.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinion...3-628_l5gm.pdf

Concerning the TPP, it has to be ratified by both the House and Senate and that's unlikely to happen, so Trump can withdraw the US as a signatory prior to ratification.

I don't think Trump will withdraw from NAFTA, rather he'll use the threat of withdraw to renegotiate and modify certain sections of the Agreement.

It is within Trump's power to instruct his Treasury Secretary to designate China as a currency manipulator, and to take appropriate actions under the law, and he should. The Chinese will protest, but nothing more will happen.

[/font]
Thank you.
The Chinese will protest? Just wait for US congress to react. And let's not forget the financial markets worldwide. As I said, I'm looking forward to such unilateral steps. It will be interesting.

Old 12-06-2016, 05:07 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,611,572 times
Skyrocketing consumer prices and trade war are only some of the consequences of Trumps proposes policy. Since his penalties target only US companies, many will simply leave the country and open up under another flag.

Old 12-06-2016, 05:11 AM

210 posts, read 275,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Manufacturers are coming back also because the Chinese will no longer accept the low pay and the people are demanding the government clean things up.
Manufacturers are moving to Africa. I'm pretty sure it's that way with most of the Trump brand products. He & his little princess are never going to manufacture any of their crap in the US. They care about themselves and their wallets, only.
Ivanka Trump Chinese shoe factory is now moving to Africa | Daily Mail Online
Quote:
Inside a Trump Chinese shoe factory: 100,000 pairs of footwear branded with Ivanka's name have been made at huge facility (but now it's moving to Africa!)
Donald Trump has railed at politicians for allowing US manufacturing jobs to be moved abroad to China
But 100,000 pairs of shoes bearing his daughter Ivanka's name have been made in Dongguan, China
The Huajian company is now moving production to Africa because labor there is evencheaper
It can employ five Ethiopians at its factory near Addis Ababa for the price of one Chinese worker

Old 12-06-2016, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
As best as I can tell, the following actions involving tariffs were taken:

George Bush did in 2002 with Proclamation 7529.

Bill Clinton did in 1995 & 1999 with Proclamations 6821 & 7210.

Reagan did in 1981 with Proclamation 4876.

Carter did in 1976 with Proclamation 4480.

Gerald Ford did in 1974 with Proclamation 4304.
Presidents have the authority to do that to combat unfair business practice of another country, and it's usually limited to one product. Has a president ever imposed 45% tariff across the board for imports coming from a major exporter like China?

Old 12-06-2016, 05:46 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,587,421 times
So watch more of them officially move to Ireland?

There are more creative ways to cause them pain.

Old 12-06-2016, 05:47 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,181,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Presidents have the authority to do that to combat unfair business practice of another country, and it's usually limited to one product. Has a president ever imposed 45% tariff across the board for imports coming from a major exporter like China?
LOL.......GODZILLA!!!

This is a good example of "fake news". Neither is proposed but don't let that stop you.

The post just above condemning his manufacturing of products in other countries is legit. I hope people hammer him relentlessly over this but what it also shows is a legit complaint and you don't have to just make stuff up.

Old 12-06-2016, 05:52 AM

Quote:
LOL.......GODZILLA!!!

This is a good example of "fake news". Neither is proposed but don't let that stop you.
There is nothing fake about it, since Trump has in fact proposed 45% tariff on Chinese imports.

“The only power that we have with China,” Mr. Trump said, “is massive trade.”

“I would tax China on products coming in,” Mr. Trump said. “I would do a tariff, yes — and they do it to us.”

Mr. Trump added that he’s “a free trader,” but that “it’s got to be reasonably fair.”

“I would do a tax. and the tax, let me tell you what the tax should be … the tax should be 45 percent,” Mr. Trump said.

Old 12-06-2016, 07:07 AM

Quote:
There is nothing fake about it, since Trump has in fact proposed 45% tariff on Chinese imports.

“I would tax China on products coming in,” Mr. Trump said. “I would do a tariff, yes — and they do it to us.”

Mr. Trump added that he’s “a free trader,” but that “it’s got to be reasonably fair.”

“I would do a tax. and the tax, let me tell you what the tax should be … the tax should be 45 percent,” Mr. Trump said.
There he is proposing reciprocal targeted tariff's. That is not across the board. Does it somehow make you feel better about yourself to just make stuff up?

Old 12-06-2016, 07:12 AM

Quote:
There he is proposing reciprocal targeted tariff's. That is not across the board. Does it somehow make you feel better about yourself to just make stuff up?
Why the personal accusations? I am quoting his own words. I am sorry if it offends you, or if you think it's "fake news". I guess claiming "fake news" about everything you don't like to hear is the new way of burying ones head in the sand.
Quote:

Old 12-06-2016, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Why the personal accusations?
You continue to show why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies