Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 09:25 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,754,341 times

Advertisements

[quote=Boss;46397479]
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
The voice of the people is being heard. You can either be part of the great American revival, or you can be left out to pout about it. But those who like to work and contribute are going to have their chance at prosperity once again, and I am very comfortable with that prospect. I'm also comfortable with the kind of society that it will yield. Work has been the fabric holding our society together, and Trump would like to protect that. I for one think that's the greatest thing anyone could do for this country right now.[/QUOTE

Nutty Don will be going down the Bush lane. I will take the economies of Clinton, Obama any day.
You must be a 0.1%er.

Old 12-04-2016, 09:28 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I want to be the guy working in a factory for $35/hour with skills I learned after politicians quit playing me like a pawn and quit protecting jobs that are not ever going to be "winners" in America.

Then I'll take my pay and buy what I can afford, where I want to buy it.
I asked this before and I really don't expect an answer this time either.

What jobs are these?

Old 12-04-2016, 09:30 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Because these places still need people to function. So at least give those people something meaningful to do with their lives. You may look down on the work these people are doing, but it's better they work to produce something meaningful than be on welfare. Which is what happens to many, maybe most Walmart employees. I should not have to support that garbage, especially since I do not shop at Walmart. They are stealing from my paycheck, and my productive contribution, to support their sissy nanny social expansion. I should not be coerced into supporting something I consider destructive.

By the way, many factories in the rust belt are paying good workers good wages again. Not all, but the ones that are run by real business people and not frauds with dilapidated, stone age technology. And soon, America will be kicking our manufacturing sector into full throttle, while disposing of yesteryear's garbage. This is what happens when you put winners in charge, instead of losers. It will be like nothing this nation has seen in at least 50 years, and we will all have something to feel proud about again. Not just the rich who enjoy conditions that promote record wealth inequality.

The bolded part is pretty much Communism 101. Is that what you want?

And then you go on to say that you don't want to support the Walmart worker, but you want us to support the worker in the outdated factory "to give them something meaningful to do" (at an inflated wage).

Those factories (in the rust belt, or anywhere) that are thriving because they have a viable business model, without false trade barriers, without underpaid (and therefore subsidized) workers, have my full respect. it is absolutely possible. But for those who are not making it that way, then the post you responded to has the right idea. Workers need to be flexible, willing to learn, and sometimes mobil, because workers in other countries are willing, and there is no prize for participation. If you want trophy (paycheck), you have to play to win. Sometimes it requires extra effort or sacrifice. If you really read your own post, you'll see it is you who is supporting the "sissy nanny social expansion".

Old 12-04-2016, 09:31 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,754,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I would much rather we pay more for quality American made goods even if it means we buy less stuff.
And that's one of the secrets of the rich. That is, instead of buying a $200 Seiko watch every few years they buy a $3000 Omega watch that lasts for 30 years and still retains some if its value in the end.

Old 12-04-2016, 09:31 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It's not the policy that is so shocking; it is that he tweeted out his trade plans and threats to the America's business community at 4 am this morning!
He's the Twitter president. We can call him Twump.

He'll get massive blowback from Congress and the business community, will start a trade war and have a consumer revolt and recession on his hands.

Old 12-04-2016, 09:32 AM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I want to be the guy working in a factory for $35/hour with skills I learned after politicians quit playing me like a pawn and quit protecting jobs that are not ever going to be "winners" in America.

Then I'll take my pay and buy what I can afford, where I want to buy it.
I'd rather live in a nation of self sufficient, tax paying $35/hr winners than politicians and corporations who want to import and produce unskilled, low wage people with no pride, who require a handout to survive. I don't give a damn what they are doing to earn $35/hr, so long as it's honest. The whole world has been laughing at us while the politicians line their pockets and the rich become obscenely rich at our expense. Even the 3rd world immigrants who have lived here for 20 years or so understand that America is not as powerful as we once were, and it goes beyond just perception.

If America is still the greatest, they wouldn't have to brainwash people into believing so. And if we aren't the greatest, than we have some work to do.

Old 12-04-2016, 09:33 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
And that's one of the secrets of the rich. That is, instead of buying a $200 Seiko watch every few years they buy a $3000 Omega watch that lasts for 30 years and still retains some if its value in the end.
Meh, I bought a 50 year old Omega, paid a $125 to have it serviced and came out ahead of both.

Old 12-04-2016, 09:37 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post

He'll get massive blowback from Congress and the business community, will start a trade war and have a consumer revolt and recession on his hands.
Calm down Chicken Little. The guy has forgotten more about doing business than anyone on this board knows.

Old 12-04-2016, 09:38 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post

It was a big mistake.
Sure if you consider all the other Obama policies. Tariff's are only one part of the big picture under Trump. He is going to create an economic environment that is friendly US business interests doing business in the US.

Old 12-04-2016, 09:39 AM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post

A recession? What, are all the little people going to lose their precious Walmart jobs? They've already lost everything. When you have nothing left to lose, you won't give a damn. Besides, most of them are already on welfare. Won't inconvenience them much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies