Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 08:58 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,217,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Is Trump moving his companies back to the United States?
Not if it means less money in the Trump coffers. Trump and his family are all about cashing in and making money. For them and for the multi-millionaires and billionaires Trump is stacking the cabinet with. Their fortunes will always come first in the Trump administration.

Old 12-04-2016, 08:59 AM

29,851 posts, read 24,953,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
What about companies that don't manufacture, yet their send the service jobs offshore? They get a free pass?
If making stuff for a living pays more than talking on a phone or plugging data onto an excel spread sheet, I guess more Americans are going to be encouraged to make stuff for a living.

Right now, there is a strong demand for skilled labor in manufacturing, so that would be a good career for some displaced Americans to train for. Of course, companies could be doing more to encourage Americans to learn these skills, like paying more money and offering on the job training to interested and qualified candidates.

Of course, there is nothing to stop a politician from suggesting protective measures for service sector jobs, if the need arises. We have an incredibly diverse economy with an incredibly diverse range of jobs, and they all matter to some extent.

Old 12-04-2016, 09:00 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,685,380 times
THE UNITED STATES IS OPEN FOR BUSINESS

There is a new sheriff in town with a new plan. Better get used to it.
Doing the same thing over and over that isn't working is not going to be part of the plan.
Taking one issue or item and focusing on it is like claiming one grain of sand is a beach. There is no one silver bullet that fixes all the problems. The hand works best with one thumb and four fingers. However, I do hold up one finger as a symbol for those who promote globalism against the interest of America first. Happy to do it too.

Old 12-04-2016, 09:00 AM

25,856 posts, read 16,558,385 times
Anyone who believes in global warming should support making the goods we need at home. Unless you think thousands of trips across the Pacific with container ships loaded with crap we don't need is good for the environment.

Old 12-04-2016, 09:02 AM

7,741 posts, read 5,532,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
THE UNITED STATES IS OPEN FOR BUSINESS
Tariffs are the opposite, but keep telling delusions.

Old 12-04-2016, 09:05 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,513,488 times
If tariffs increase prices of goods, everything we buy will have massive price increases. People will stop purchasing stuff. I will.

I don't want to pay more for everything I buy. I would be subsidizing the paycheck of someone working in a factory for wages that are above market for the job they are doing. Instead, the overpaid factory worker should retrain for a different job if they want to earn a higher wage. Or move to a different area that has better paying jobs . Don't expect everyone else to subsidize your salary because you want to stand on an assembly line for $35/hr. The factor worker chooses not to move or chooses not to retrain/reschool for a better paying job. Why should everyone else pay for their decision to stay in a rust belt town with 3 stoplights and a Wal-mart and no other jobs other than the 50 year old factory?

Yet high paying tech jobs(service sector) making $100k+ keep getting offshored and these companies get a free pass because Trump is only targeting manufacturers.

Old 12-04-2016, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Anyone who believes in global warming should support making the goods we need at home. Unless you think thousands of trips across the Pacific with container ships loaded with crap we don't need is good for the environment.
Not to mention, we have environmental standards. We produce less pollution in the process of making things here. Yes, it means the products cost more. That's the cost of reducing man's carbon foot print and helping to keep the environment clean. Yes, it's worth every penny of added expense.

Left wing environmentalists who wish to send jobs to China are pure hypocrites.

Old 12-04-2016, 09:09 AM

1,008 posts, read 488,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
the supermax cargo ships burn bunker oil, which is so viscous you can walk on it in cool weather.

16 of them create the emissions equivalent to every car on Earth.

Old 12-04-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
If tariffs increase prices of goods, everything we buy will have massive price increases. People will stop purchasing stuff. I will.

I don't want to pay more for everything I buy. I would be subsidizing the paycheck of someone working in a factory for wages that are above market for the job they are doing. Instead, the overpaid factory worker should retrain for a different job if they want to earn a higher wage. Or move to a different area that has better paying jobs . Don't expect everyone else to subsidize your salary because you want to stand on an assembly line for $35/hr. The factor worker chooses not to move or chooses not to retrain/reschool for a better paying job. Why should everyone else pay for their decision to stay in a rust belt town with 3 stoplights and a Wal-mart and no other jobs other than the 50 year old factory?
Because these places still need people to function. So at least give those people something meaningful to do with their lives. You may look down on the work these people are doing, but it's better they work to produce something meaningful than be on welfare. Which is what happens to many, maybe most Walmart employees. I should not have to support that garbage, especially since I do not shop at Walmart. They are stealing from my paycheck, and my productive contribution, to support their sissy nanny social expansion. I should not be coerced into supporting something I consider destructive.

By the way, many factories in the rust belt are paying good workers good wages again. Not all, but the ones that are run by real business people and not frauds with dilapidated, stone age technology. And soon, America will be kicking our manufacturing sector into full throttle, while disposing of yesteryear's garbage. This is what happens when you put winners in charge, instead of losers. It will be like nothing this nation has seen in at least 50 years, and we will all have something to feel proud about again. Not just the rich who enjoy conditions that promote record wealth inequality.

Old 12-04-2016, 09:23 AM

11,228 posts, read 8,319,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Do you want to be the guy in the Red Wing factory making $300 boots he can afford or the guy in Wally World stocking the shelves with $100 boots he can afford? Cheap good are a race to the bottom.
I want to be the guy working in a factory for $35/hour with skills I learned after politicians quit playing me like a pawn and quit protecting jobs that are not ever going to be "winners" in America.

Then I'll take my pay and buy what I can afford, where I want to buy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.