Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 07:19 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,633,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Donald is RIGHT. The SNL skit is disrespectful to our President. That show USED to be good in the 70's-80's but now it's just pure garbage. I used to love this show. A long time ago. It got worse over the years. In the latest Trump skit: They twist Alec Baldwin's mouth in such an exaggerated, unnatural way. I can tell you I will NO longer watch the newer crap-filled SNL. it looks pretty obvious they do not like Donald Trump on that show and they are trying to make a mockery of him. I love comedy. I wanted to see for myself. I just watched it. I wanted to see if Trump was being too sensitive. I think NOT. It's something they need to do is dump this show in the sewer.

Donald does not like to be disrespected. I can bet you, that he is going to do something to put a stop to this kind of lame show that is limping on it's weak leg for the last 15 years. You just watch...

Some of you need to watch the OLD SNL shows. From the 70-80's. THOSE were funny. This is something SNL is doing to upset the President and I don't find it funny. They are portraying themselves for the very thing their show stands for: Stupidity.
What the hell. There were some Tea party people who parodied Obama as a witch doctor with a bone in his nose. They parodied Obama almost every week on his ineffectiveness. Prominent politicians always get parodied. They did Bush for 8 years. They did Nixon. I remember the parodies better than the man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2016, 07:28 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,305,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
What the hell. There were some Tea party people who parodied Obama as a witch doctor with a bone in his nose. They parodied Obama almost every week on his ineffectiveness. Prominent politicians always get parodied. They did Bush for 8 years. They did Nixon. I remember the parodies better than the man.
And who can forget Chevy Chase as Gerald Ford? Oops, am I showing my age?

I loved the way George H. W. Bush handled Dana Carvey's comedy bits. He just joined in the fun! There's a lesson in that for Mr. Trump.

Last edited by randomparent; 12-04-2016 at 08:40 PM..

Old 12-04-2016, 07:42 PM

8,072 posts, read 3,404,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
The truth is that all of those part time Wal*Mart workers who are only making $7 or $8 per hour, so that they have to supplement their income with welfare and food stamps, are going to be hurting in a couple of years.

The very word "entitlement" bothers me. I've been paying into Social Security ever since I started working at age 18. I'm 53 now, and I've only had one episode of true unemployment. That lasted six months in 1993/1994, due to the real estate market imploding, the Northridge earthquake, etc. It's not an entitlement if I've been paying for it. Seniors who are getting more Medicare benefits than they paid in aren't crooks; the real crooks are the healthcare and pharmaceutical companies that jack up their prices, making healthcare prohibitively expensive for everyone.

I'll be fine; my middle class job is pretty secure. As usual in times of economic and political upheaval, the people on the bottom rungs who are barely hanging on now as it is will be the ones to be shaken off.
Even with welfare/food stamps the part time workers are hurting already.

Old 12-04-2016, 07:59 PM

33,843 posts, read 16,875,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
End it?

His entire campaign was based on telling low skill white people that they're entitled snowflakes who bear no responsibility for their situation and that Daddy Trump will come make it all better.

Baloney. The Rust Belt has been overlooked far too long. I grew up in Ct, spent 17 years in the Southeast, and am back, due to family, in the Northeast. I am delighted, for once, the Acela Belt and west coast was told they alone will not decide who the POTUS is.

Middle America roared, and it is long overdue.

I am delighted 1,100 families in Indiana got a great Christmas gift. Not a handout, but simply the knowledge their jobs will not be shipped away. I am delighted UTC felt their defense business was threatened if they moved air conditioner production away. This is the first time since 1961, and JFK, government used the Bully Pulpit for the common man. Long overdue.

Old 12-04-2016, 08:04 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,035,535 times
On a lighter note- I again watched 'The Nutcracker' London Philharmonic edition. Forty two minutes in, there is a movement called 'Dance of the Snowflakes' The Nutcracker and Clara dance with 24 snowflakes for 7 minutes. A very familiar tune that most everyone has heard in movies, TV, commercials.
I'm sure that Tchaikovsky would be proud that his music/ballet lives on but not so much how the word 'snowflake' is used to describe todays youth.

Old 12-04-2016, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
If snowflake Trump supporters think this won't come back on them, if they don't recognize that the coasts will not meekly accept the tyranny of the minority, they don't understand that what can't be done one way can be accomplished in other ways such as economic. It's surprising that they don't realize that a person applying for a job from flyover country may be viewed as less appealing. That companies looking to relocate may be less likely to choose certain locations. The division in this country is very real and the tyranny of the minority will have consequences. The snowflakes in flyover country need to get over their entitlement and solve their own economic problems.

Newsflash: The coasts GDP growth and job growth has been at best, far below the US average. The inverse is true of most non-coastal states. The growth in Middle America has been excellent for the most part-far above national averages. Population growth is the same in pattern. Blue states lose some ECs each census, red states gain some.

Old 12-04-2016, 08:09 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,655,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Baloney. The Rust Belt has been overlooked far too long. I grew up in Ct, spent 17 years in the Southeast, and am back, due to family, in the Northeast. I am delighted, for once, the Acela Belt and west coast was told they alone will not decide who the POTUS is.

Middle America roared, and it is long overdue.

I am delighted 1,100 families in Indiana got a great Christmas gift. Not a handout, but simply the knowledge their jobs will not be shipped away. I am delighted UTC felt their defense business was threatened if they moved air conditioner production away. This is the first time since 1961, and JFK, government used the Bully Pulpit for the common man. Long overdue.
There was a handout. Giving them tax breaks so that every other company will want the same or threaten to leave. I believe Republicans called that choosing winners and losers and crony capitalism. And hundreds of jobs will still be lost. Mostly it sounds like the Rust Belt wants to be the entitled snowflake.

Old 12-04-2016, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
There was a handout. Giving them tax breaks so that every other company will want the same or threaten to leave. I believe Republicans called that choosing winners and losers and crony capitalism. And hundreds of jobs will still be lost. Mostly it sounds like the Rust Belt wants to be the entitled snowflake.

LOL. No handout. It was chump change. Corps , in red and blue states, get usually $120-$160 mill for every 800 jobs (150-200k/job is typical). No doubt UTC accepted fearing their defense business would "dry up", and the 7 mill-which Indiana offered long ago, was IMO a ruse so they could pretend they were given a deal.not reacting to a threat to large business deals b/w UTC and the DOD.

Old 12-04-2016, 08:21 PM

42,764 posts, read 26,048,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
No it's not going to end. I've had to visit a lot of college campuses lately. Normal people wouldn't believe the crap their kids are being marinated in. The state universities are bad enough, but the pricier liberal arts colleges have jumped the shark into the madness of progressive liberalism.
yeah it sucks that they teach those kids history and logic huh?

Old 12-04-2016, 08:24 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,368,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
yeah it sucks that they teach those kids history and logic huh?
Most college students think America invented slavery, professor finds - The College Fix
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies