Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 01:43 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,708,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
I would laugh, but I have elderly parents who did not vote for the orange con man who will suffer because of the many, many elderly idiots in the electorate who couldn't see past their own hatred and foolishly voted for their own downfall. It's sad that so many will suffer the loss of healthcare and support because a minority of the electorate was stupid enough to be taken in by a con man.
Same with my parents. They cannot stand Trump (you should hear them) or his supporters. They are retired military so I think they have options if Medicare is privatized but I completely see your point and agree with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2016, 01:45 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
Thank you. Truth is, we shouldn't have to prove this. This caused a stir last year. Alot of people have forgotten that.

Old 12-04-2016, 01:48 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,008,466 times
Is it really that Trump is a whiner or that he is absolutely frustrated that at all levels of the mainstream media they parrot these narratives that say that he is XYZ or that conservatives are XYZ, and there are little counter arguments in the main? I mean that frustrates me and I am nobody I could only imagine someone such as Trump, who I admit is a bit thin skinned.

It's this insistence that outlets such as SNL or other shows think they have their pulse on what's happening in the country and that they are so culturally relevant in people's lives that it gives them the right to virtue signal and preach to the rest of the country.

I honestly hate that Trump isn't more articulate and can't actually vocalize this frustration many Americans have outside of a few gruntish tweets. If we actually had a President-Elect that was as sharp and witty and threw back that snarky type of humor back at the mainstream media, it'd be over. I mean I did like the off the cuff one liners given by Trump throughout the campaign but outside of that he can't do it up to the level of the mainstream media. They're skilled in their rhetoric and making sure you feel shame for not thinking like them.

Old 12-04-2016, 01:53 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,548,321 times
The truth is that all of those part time Wal*Mart workers who are only making $7 or $8 per hour, so that they have to supplement their income with welfare and food stamps, are going to be hurting in a couple of years.

The very word "entitlement" bothers me. I've been paying into Social Security ever since I started working at age 18. I'm 53 now, and I've only had one episode of true unemployment. That lasted six months in 1993/1994, due to the real estate market imploding, the Northridge earthquake, etc. It's not an entitlement if I've been paying for it. Seniors who are getting more Medicare benefits than they paid in aren't crooks; the real crooks are the healthcare and pharmaceutical companies that jack up their prices, making healthcare prohibitively expensive for everyone.

I'll be fine; my middle class job is pretty secure. As usual in times of economic and political upheaval, the people on the bottom rungs who are barely hanging on now as it is will be the ones to be shaken off.

Old 12-04-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Is it really that Trump is a whiner or that he is absolutely frustrated that at all levels of the mainstream media they parrot these narratives that say that he is XYZ or that conservatives are XYZ, and there are little counter arguments in the main? I mean that frustrates me and I am nobody I could only imagine someone such as Trump, who I admit is a bit thin skinned.

It's this insistence that outlets such as SNL or other shows think they have their pulse on what's happening in the country and that they are so culturally relevant in people's lives that that gives them the right to virtue signal and preach to the rest of the country.
Trump does not have to watch SNL! How many times must this be said? The real snowflakes here are Trump supporters that seem to think they deserve special treatment. Have they paid attention to the attacks for the last eight years? If Trump wants a right wing show that makes him out to be a hero, his snowflakes need to create one and watch it. They have Fox News which will echo Trump so completely as to make them State TV. SNL is a show with writers, crew and actors that create a platform that generates revenue. It owes it's audience entertainment and it is delivering. If snowflake Trump doesn't like it, he can change the channel.

Old 12-04-2016, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Seniors who are getting more Medicare benefits than they paid in aren't crooks; the real crooks are the healthcare and pharmaceutical companies that jack up their prices, making healthcare prohibitively expensive for everyone.
I used to feel that way until I saw seniors protesting against health care for anyone else but themselves. "Keep your government hands off my Medicare". They didn't care that those people they felt shouldn't receive health coverage were paying two thirds of those protesting senior's health care costs.

Seniors attacked Medicaid the same way, saying those people don't deserve health care. Except seniors receive Medicaid to pay for their nursing homes.

I will be much more sympathetic to seniors when they take the view that everyone deserves health care coverage.

Old 12-04-2016, 02:01 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup Not See View Post
Do you think the entitlement mentality of today's liberals is good for the U.S. ? Or do you think that working hard for whatever you get in life is the correct way ? Do you agree with political correctness ?

Do you as an individual think you'll get worse treatment from the world under Trump ?
To be honest, it depends on what people are entitled to. Truth is, alot of people, liberal and conservative, have entitlement mentalities. It depends on what it is. The only time I get worried is if it is going to affect me and make my life hard, or if it will result in other people getting killed.

Yes, I do believe in working hard. I also believe that people should be rewarded handsomely for their hard work.

I do think that I might get worse treatment under Trump. He has already mentioned that he favors a national stop and frisk policy. He is known to spout of at the mouth. His reckless mouth has sent a message to bigots, that it is okay to be openly bigoted. I don't know what he might do in office. I had a talk with someone about this. He did not vote for Trump, nor does he like Trump. However, he didn't seem to be afraid of Trump. According to him, Trump is all talk. According to him, I shouldn't worry about Trump because he'll say anything to get votes.

This is how I see things. If you will talk reckless, you will act reckless. It's a matter of trust for me.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/29/op...otry.html?_r=0
http://www.nytimes.com/times-insider...-donald-trump/
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/25/us...ck-voters.html

Here is my truth. I don't think the "entitlement" mentality has ruined America. But then again, when was America great for everyone in this country?

Last edited by green_mariner; 12-04-2016 at 02:09 PM..

Old 12-04-2016, 02:02 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,008,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Trump does not have to watch SNL! How many times must this be said? The real snowflakes here are Trump supporters that seem to think they deserve special treatment. Have they paid attention to the attacks for the last eight years? If Trump wants a right wing show that makes him out to be a hero, his snowflakes need to create one and watch it. They have Fox News which will echo Trump so completely as to make them State TV. SNL is a show with writers, crew and actors that create a platform that generates revenue. It owes it's audience entertainment and it is delivering. If snowflake Trump doesn't like it, he can change the channel.
Change the channel to what? Another show that parrots the same narrative? That is why the ratings for some of these shows are so low and why alternative media has filled the void. There are many that think only one narrative is being promoted.

It isn't about special treatment. It's about wanting a platform to give a counter point. So we only have Fox News? That's it? You know the Bubble skit SNL did last time? It was a hit. So was the commonality between white voters and black voters skit. Why not more of those instead of the Clinton butt kissing?

13,778 posts, read 9,660,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
If Trump could end the entitlement mentality in this country that would be a great accomplishment .
Many people both rich and poor have this mentality that they are special snowflakes . Rich elite entitlement is as bad as those that think they are special because they can pop out children and have the taxpayers pay for it. This mentality has degraded this country.
Just curious. Do you consider the millions of seniors who have worked and paid taxes for 50 years or more, now retired, living on fixed income, to be those entitled snowflakes? How about the 35 million children who receive SNAP? Are they the entitled snowflakes you speak about?

11,119 posts, read 5,587,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Did you see this?

"Donald Trump didn’t like Saturday Night Live last night very much.

During the show he tweeted out the following response, saying that the show was completely “unwatchable” and “not funny.”

When, in fact, it was actually very funny – and got a lot of fanfare for making fun of Donald Trump’s tweets, no less! Pretty ironic that he angrily tweeted about a show making fun of his tweets!"

A Woman Just Stood Up To Trump?s Latest Outburst On Twitter ? And America Is Cheering Her On
He's incapable of not feeding SNL's writers with more and more material. He would be a comedian's dream come true, if he wasn't going to burn out so soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies