Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 04:43 PM

17,795 posts, read 13,692,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
I agree. The answer perhaps should be a phasing out of all VA hospitals and veterans then going to facilities of their choice. Maybe some hospital chains would take over some of the VA facilities (w/o obligation to hire the existing staff). Clearly the VA is incapable of running hospital facilities. They don't seem to ever learn from their failures. Much of the problem could be the near impossibility of firing the incompetent and uncaring.
Here are a couple of things to consider. First, a vet with Private insurance, Tricare or Medicare already has the option of going where they want.

As for those Vets that have only VA benefits, their care is generally more complicated than a typical case. Sadly, the typical middle age to older vet who has VA benefits only has a boatload of issues which make care extremely difficult for care providers.

I know this from experience. From past experience and from recent experience. Like from two hours ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2016, 05:08 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
From what I can tell, this is a long-term care facility and not a hospital, but it's still unfathomable a patient with a wound could go three weeks without a dressing change. I'm an ICU nurse and have seen some nasty, untreated wounds (including with maggots) but they nearly always come from home. I think the most I've seen a nursing home ignore a large wound (before they came back to the hospital with sepsis) was 1.5 weeks.

Old 12-04-2016, 05:24 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,109 times
Sickening. I don't know where to begin. How does this happen in a hospital?

Long Term care...hmmmm.

Old 12-04-2016, 05:41 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,989,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post

So my guess is that the VA there wasn't getting the best people even for those who are in Oklahoma.

It is a STATE run facility. NOT he VA.

Do people actually seek facts before posting anything?

Old 12-04-2016, 06:04 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
As I mentioned, I have spent considerable time in hospitals and the best in Miami, we had to make sure we were present or I will not mention what could have happened in several occasions. It's crazy ! He was in 4 places for different reasons, all of them crazy. I'm sooo glad he's getting better and they do great work but they running around like chickens all the time. I know nurses, the love the work but exhausted ! Too many patients not enough help, and most complain of low pay.

Old 12-04-2016, 06:56 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan Savage View Post
Veterans should be treated by the hospital of their choice .
That might be the solution. As opposed to operating the VA, they could just provide health insurance to vets through an existing mechanism.

Old 12-04-2016, 07:07 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
As I mentioned, I have spent considerable time in hospitals and the best in Miami, we had to make sure we were present or I will not mention what could have happened in several occasions. It's crazy ! He was in 4 places for different reasons, all of them crazy. I'm sooo glad he's getting better and they do great work but they running around like chickens all the time. I know nurses, the love the work but exhausted ! Too many patients not enough help, and most complain of low pay.
Relatively speaking, pay is low in urban areas for certain professions because lots of people are from there and want to be there because of family and of course the big city life they're used to. (supply and demand)

I know this from my own family with one member making as much in a smallish town as they would be making in a major city with twice the cost of living.

Old 12-04-2016, 07:57 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
The facility in the OP is a nursing home, not a hospital, and it is an Oklahoma state facility, not federal.

Old 12-04-2016, 09:13 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,035,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
Government run health care at it's finest.

Universal health care anyone?

bill
Yup We have it here and our healthcare system and quality of life kicks america's azz six ways from Sunday!!
Sickening that you're happy about his plight just because you're ignorant enough to believe the republican mantra of health care for all is bad. But I'm not shocked. Republicans are a selfish soulless crew
BTW Oklahoma is the reddest of red states, so that's your Republican utopia at work.

Compassionate Conservatism at it's finest. Any way you slice it-america sucks and is going to get even worse. But as long as you have yours-it's all good right? Sad that many here can only thrive in a country where the playing field is tilted in their favor, and couldn;t win on a level playing field.

Old 12-04-2016, 10:31 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I don't know what the problem is, but I do know funding us an issue with many agencies. DHS still has not been funded. I know the cut backs are terrible!!! You also need family. We just transported my gson from trauma center to rehab,,, I have stayed -other gma, mom, step dad etcetc . We do not leave any familiy alone in any hospitals. Ever! Unless they well enough can do for themselves. But we never leave for long or go daily,, no matter the cost . The vets need family to scream for them . Rip dear vet, sorry we did not do right by you.
You are right about the family speaking for the patient
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies