Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 11:47 AM

2,682 posts, read 2,178,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Regardless of what some seem to want to believe, the Electoral College was designed by the Framers as a 'last gasp' measure to prevent a demagogue from assuming office.

If the sole purpose was to give 'representation' to the smaller states (which is partly true, of course), then the Framers could have simply said that each state is assigned a certain number of electoral votes (as is done), and that after the election you count up how many of these electoral votes each person won, and be done with it.

In other words, there would be no reason for actual people to cast actual electoral votes in December. I direct interested parties to Federalist Paper No. 68, by Alexander Hamilton. He clearly lays out the reasoning.

The purpose was to grant representation to smaller states in order to keep an unfit individual from reaching office as a result of popularity in "a single State." That single state would necessarily have to be a high population state. Instead, a candidate would have to gain the "confidence of the whole Union" by getting the vote of electors in other smaller states.

"Talents for low intrigue, and the little arts of popularity, may alone suffice to elevate a man to the first honors in a single State; but it will require other talents, and a different kind of merit, to establish him in the esteem and confidence of the whole Union, or of so considerable a portion of it as would be necessary to make him a successful candidate for the distinguished office of President of the United States. It will not be too strong to say, that there will be a constant probability of seeing the station filled by characters pre-eminent for ability and virtue."

The last sentence above suggests that Hamilton was not all that worried about demagogues. Twenty nine states have legislated electors' discretion away, showing what the modern concern is.

Last edited by CapnTrips; 12-13-2016 at 12:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 03:50 PM

3,824 posts, read 1,779,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
They need to AND FAST!!!!!!! -- Before its too late!!!!!!!!!
Maybe after reviewing his cabinet he has chosen --they will see he is pretty much going against the things he campaigned on. It would be a long shot but I am hoping he doesn't get to 270 after all. I would much rather see Kasich, Pence or a democrat.

Old 12-13-2016, 03:52 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,645,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetosave View Post
NYT had to apologize for poor coverage of election campaign . No credibility. Better off reading Dr. Seuss.

From your first two posts I see that is a favorite of yours.

Old 12-13-2016, 04:33 PM

2,015 posts, read 1,646,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
No. The EC was designed to prevent some like Hillary getting elected solely by the high population states. Before you post on something which is common knowledge, you could try reading a little about it first.
I apologize I had no idea you were the leading expert on how the EC works, please enlighten me some more.

Old 12-14-2016, 10:46 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,823,041 times
Exclamation *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80
Maybe after reviewing his cabinet he has chosen --they will see he is pretty much going against the things he campaigned on.
Yes the cabinet he is choosing IS INSANE!!!!

No one would be AS BAD as trump who is UNDER THE ELITES DIRECTION to totally destroy our country!!

THIS IS SERIOUS AND PPL NEED TO WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-14-2016, 11:02 AM

2,682 posts, read 2,178,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
I apologize I had no idea you were the leading expert on how the EC works, please enlighten me some more.

Pls see post #81 above. No charge.

Old 12-14-2016, 11:21 AM

39,843 posts, read 26,477,889 times
The real question, how will liberals throw temper tantrums when Trump is elected by the EC in just a few days? Will they need more Play-Doh? Therapy dogs? Cuddle Puddles?

Or have they perhaps matured past the terrible twos by now? Nah, what am I thinking?

Old 12-14-2016, 11:22 AM

39,843 posts, read 26,477,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Yes the cabinet he is choosing IS INSANE!!!!

No one would be AS BAD as trump who is UNDER THE ELITES DIRECTION to totally destroy our country!!

THIS IS SERIOUS AND PPL NEED TO WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!!!
Not as "insane" as some.

He could have selected a housewife with no business, executive or diplomatic experience as Secretary of State. Now that would have been INSANE.

Old 12-14-2016, 11:49 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,585,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
The real question, how will liberals throw temper tantrums when Trump is elected by the EC in just a few days? Will they need more Play-Doh? Therapy dogs? Cuddle Puddles?

Or have they perhaps matured past the terrible twos by now? Nah, what am I thinking?
I've been seeing this play-doh thing all over the web since the election, wth does it mean?

Old 12-14-2016, 12:00 PM

19,796 posts, read 9,331,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I've been seeing this play-doh thing all over the web since the election, wth does it mean?
Universities offer Play-Doh, therapy dogs, coloring books, safe spaces for students hurt by election | EAGnews.org

(You will need to scroll down a bit to get to the Play-Doh part.)

Many people are upset that some college students (and their teachers!) are such crybabies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies