Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2016, 11:54 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,730,943 times

Advertisements

Another great step forward and away from Obama and his waste spending!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 11:56 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,659,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
I agree.
I was an engineer in the military/aerospace industry (specializing in environmental and structural testing) until I retired.

Air Force One IS NOT just some production line 787 with a cool paint job.

We are talking about an aircraft that carries the most powerful man on earth.

I heard the planes would not even be completed until the last year of Trumps second term.

Trump is grandstanding.

Better to build it now rather than wait until it costs twice as much to build them.
Yep. My first gig after the service was for a Beltway contractor to go around to the major shipyards and teach Procurement quality assurance to QA engineers concerning MilSpec 9868A. That plane once completed will be more expensive than it's weight in gold and every weld will be xrayed, and certified from 4 different angles before delivery. There will be a complete record of testing from the basic raw materials to form the parts to the entire assembly.

Old 12-06-2016, 11:57 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,817,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Boeing stock took a $1.5 billion dollar hit because of Trumps comments.

I know he likes to Tweet, but darn it man. If you don't like the price, negotiate it, but what's the point of hurting them?

Feckless!
Honestly, I agree with this.

I've worked in contracting for and with government agencies and honestly, I don't believe Trump in regards to the price. I'd want to see the proposal myself to see if it is actually proposed to be such a large price.

However, in regards to the above, you can always go back to the vendor and ask them to lower the price to be more "reasonable."

Yet, Boeing is a unique vendor, but there are 2-3 other vendors I can think of that can build a couple new Airforce One's for Trump that I'm sure, since he gave out the price point, that they will come under by 10% of less lol.

You should NEVER publically advertise a vendors price IMO. That way other vendors know they don't have to come down as low as you want them to.

I'll also note that Boeing may try to play hardball. We don't know the intricacies of their pricing or other contracts and I'm sure they are POd about Trump broadcasting that Tweet. He needs to get off of Twitter. I am aware that Boeing is a huge federal contractor and they have many contracts with the federal and other governments for other things. Cancelling the contract may not be in the best interest of DoD or whatever agency is in charge of the contract for Air Force One.

Last edited by residinghere2007; 12-06-2016 at 12:08 PM..

Old 12-06-2016, 11:57 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,603,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
You are dangerous ,your lack of understanding is a danger to people and business not unlike Trumps! Trump has no idea what the contract with Boeing is and he tweets and their stock plummets.That affects funds that effect pensions ,retirements ,that effects lives.Get it?He needs to Shut the Heck up!
The dangerous ones are the people who panic over a tweet.

The only valid reason to sell the Boeing stock would be if the contract is ridiculous causing the loss of a two plane contract to hurt profits that bad.

Let me know if I need to explain it further to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Keeping his son in Manhattan will cost millions, good place to start cutting costs.
Agreed. If he wants his family to live in NYC, he should be responsible for all associated costs.

Old 12-06-2016, 12:00 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,659,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Your thread title is a lie. Trump cannot cancel the order. The Tweet was rhetorical. But he was justified in suggesting it ought to be cancelled. Obama cancelled Marine One oredr for similar reason.
Your wording is incorrect. The Tweet was inflammatory. It was a piece of red meat thrown to the mob designed to inflame passions of the sort we see in this thread.

Old 12-06-2016, 12:00 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,603,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

I've worked in contracting for and with government agencies and honestly, I don't believe Trump in regards to the price. I'd want to see the proposal myself to see if it is actually proposed to be such a large price.

However, in regards to the above, you can always go back to the vendor and ask them to lower the price to be more "reasonable."

Yet, Boeing is a unique vendor, but there are 2-3 other vendors I can think of that can build a couple new Airforce One's for Trump that I'm sure, since he gave out the price point, that they will come under by 10% of less lol.

You should NEVER publically advertise a vendors price IMO. That way other vendors know they don't have to come down as low as you want them to.
Additionally, they could purchase two bare bones 747-8s and bring in contractors to finish them out.

The government has a number of contractors who install top secret electronics and countermeasures.

Old 12-06-2016, 12:02 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,254,341 times
Oh please--let's tell it like it is.

Actually this is the typical whiny Trump attempting to get revenge 'cause he feels slighted.

Immature jerk has not changed one iota. This the pathetic PE acting like a narcissistic baby--great way to govern.

"..Trump demanded Tuesday that the Defense Department cancel a contract with Boeing for the construction of new presidential planes, tweeting that the fleet’s price tag had grown “out of control” — just moments after the publication of a story in which the aviation giant’s CEO appeared to criticize the President-elect over his trade stance.

...they were posted online just 22 minutes after the publication of a Chicago Tribune story that quoted Boeing CEO Dennis Muilenburg criticizing Trump’s anti-trade stance..."

"...is just the latest example of Trump using social media to threaten retribution and could disrupt an already-in-place sale process for the new planes..."

Trump demands Defense Department cancel contract with Boeing - NY Daily News

Old 12-06-2016, 12:03 PM

46,944 posts, read 25,972,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I think I may just despise everyone involved in this story.

Trump for his grandstanding, Boeing for their cost gouging.

Obviously, the current airframes won't be running forever. Obviously, what is essentially a bespoke version of a 747 with a production run of 2 units will be expensive. Obviously, $4 billion calls for an explanation.
And now I despise myself for not fact-checking that $4 billion figure which seems to have been pulled out of thin air.

Old 12-06-2016, 12:04 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,608,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

I'll also note that Boeing may try to play hardball. We don't know the intricacies of their pricing or other contracts and I'm sure they are POd about Trump broadcasting that Tweet. He needs to get off of Twitter. I am aware that Boeing is a huge federal contractor and they have many contracts with the federal and other governments for other things.
The price is for two planes, and the R&D is expensive considering all the custom electronics, air defense etc, and apparently there aren't other US vendors who can build a four engine plane like that. They could always ask Airbus, but I would think they'll want to stick with a US aircraft.

Old 12-06-2016, 12:05 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,695,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
It's a four billion dollar aircraft.....

Much better to pump a couple billion into a couple of Trumps personal aircraft. Saves the Taxpayers money.

And gives the Trump brand international exposure.

That Trump. Always looking out for the great unwashed.

Not.
It's a four billion dollar aircraft according to Trump.

Anyone know what the REAL cost is 'cause I don't believe that Trumpie has a clue as to the actual costs.
He's just talking out of his nether regions as usual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies