Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 09:07 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
This is an immigrant nation.

To not support legal immigration would be un-American.
Legal immigration is not the issue and has never been the issue as far as the vast majority of people like myself who are staunchly anti-illegal alien is concerned.

The distinction between legal immigrants an illegal aliens needs to be continued to be made clear. The two are not the same by any means. Illegal immigration hurts legal immigrants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 09:07 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
This is an immigrant nation.

To not support legal immigration would be un-American.
So, you'll sacrifice the environment in favor of immigration?

Old 12-06-2016, 09:09 AM

286 posts, read 383,034 times
My solution would be similar to Australia's, but we would have to legalize those who are here illegally through a program that would basically sell them their citizenship through high taxation or make them work extremely hard for it, goal is to have "contributing members of society". Similar to the Dream Act, if you are under 40 you either earn your degree, prove to own a functioning business for at least 5 years, or have a trade that is of Value to this Nation and/or serve in our military. After that, then you can become a US Citizen. As well as once and for all make English the national language.

I do believe in deporting those who have committed crimes.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:09 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
So you support the addition of millions and millions of people in the decades ahead? Isn't 325 million enough? I wouldn't want to live in an America filled with 500 or 600 million people - would you?

Yes, we're an immigrant nation - but we're full up now. Too many people are chasing too few jobs - why do we need more folks to compete for those scarce jobs?

Time to close the door and get our own living standards up.
Like I said... I support legal immigration. If it becomes necessary to allow fewer people to legally immigrate due to fiscal and population control measures, so be it.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So, you'll sacrifice the environment in favor of immigration?
Not sure how you connected those two dots.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:10 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
So you support the addition of millions and millions of people in the decades ahead? Isn't 325 million enough? I wouldn't want to live in an America filled with 500 or 600 million people - would you?

Yes, we're an immigrant nation - but we're full up now. Too many people are chasing too few jobs - why do we need more folks to compete for those scarce jobs?

Time to close the door and get our own living standards up.
Wrong, legal immigration is controlled so numbers of legal immigrants do not and should not exceed what is beneficial for our economy. If not for legal immigration, our population as a country would actually decease over time.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bringamac92 View Post
My solution would be similar to Australia's, but we would have to legalize those who are here illegally through a program that would basically sell them their citizenship through high taxation or make them work extremely hard for it, goal is to have "contributing members of society". Similar to the Dream Act, if you are under 40 you either earn your degree, prove to own a functioning business for at least 5 years, or have a trade that is of Value to this Nation and/or serve in our military. After that, then you can become a US Citizen. As well as once and for all make English the national language.

I do believe in deporting those who have committed crimes.
Why do we need a "national language?"

We're a huge country. Everything already has to be written in English for governmental reasons.

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Legal immigration is not the issue and has never been the issue as far as the vast majority of people like myself who are staunchly anti-illegal alien is concerned.

The distinction between legal immigrants an illegal aliens needs to be continued to be made clear. The two are not the same by any means. Illegal immigration hurts legal immigrants.
The actual topic is immigration and not illegals. His specific post said nothing about illegals.

Although I am against illegal immigration 100%, I also feel immigration, legal, needs to be practically eliminated. We should only bring in the spouses of citizens and exceptional people. We don't have the room for anyone else.

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
The illegals have a path, return to their country of origin and come here legally.

that does not really work-- follow the money - whole areas of housing go empty- schools lose kids - stores lose business- employers lose employees- the whole economic systems would fail in many areas - many have American born kids- it be chaos because of the length of time they have been here -
my view- put them on probation 5 yrs. a fine- yearly fees- taxes- and the apply for green card- if they behaved in that time- green card but not citizenship - if not OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Wrong, legal immigration is controlled so numbers of legal immigrants do not and should not exceed what is beneficial for our economy. If not for legal immigration, our population as a country would actually decease over time.

Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies