Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 02:17 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,658,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
We aren't getting the best and the brightest. We are getting the poor, uneducated and impoverished. They are a burden to our society not a benefit.

Our own citizens are quite capable of creating jobs and we have plenty of the best and brightest with them. Our social and natural resources are limited. We already have millions of Americans out of work. We don't need any added population at this time. Those same foreigners you claim will prop up our SS, etc. and help with the national debt would be among those who are taking from it and contributing to our national debt. In terms of ariable land space and resources, yes we are full up right now.
I would love for you to explain exactly how poor people from other nations are affording the exorbitant legal and travel expenses to get to the United States. A nation that has the most expensive and least accessible healthcare system in the world, and one of the smallest funds for social welfare.

By all means, please.

The points you have conflated, in your run to false generalizations, are immigration and illegal labor. We are talking about immigration, where people become citizens.

But while we are discussing your belief that poor people are a burden to society, let us extrapolate your logic.

Are you also in favor of removing citizenship from the existing burdens on society? After all, America is funded by only a handful of urban cities; the rest of the nation, particularly the south and center, are extremely impoverished and rely on government welfare to get by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 02:20 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,517,900 times
Quote:
We aren't getting the best and the brightest. We are getting the poor, uneducated and impoverished. They are a burden to our society not a benefit.

Our own citizens are quite capable of creating jobs and we have plenty of the best and brightest with them. Our social and natural resources are limited. We already have millions of Americans out of work. We don't need any added population at this time. Those same foreigners you claim will prop up our SS, etc. and help with the national debt would be among those who are taking from it and contributing to our national debt. In terms of ariable land space and resources, yes we are full up right now.
I agree. It does seem that the vast majority of current immigrants are from low-wage 3rd world countries, meaning they're competing at the bottom of the wage scale, making it more difficult for the poor here (including existing immigrants).

If you want to talk about importing the best and brightest, why don't we open the gates for folks from Europe and English-speaking nations? I can imagine there would be a ton of Brits, for example, who would love a shot at the American Dream, and they'd be highly welcomed by Americans. They already speak the language and adhere to American values, and they'd not be a burden to social services. That's the kind of immigration I'd be glad to support.

Nah, that'd make too much sense.

Old 12-06-2016, 02:25 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
I agree. It does seem that the vast majority of current immigrants are from low-wage 3rd world countries, meaning they're competing at the bottom of the wage scale, making it more difficult for the poor here (including existing immigrants).

If you want to talk about importing the best and brightest, why don't we open the gates for folks from Europe and English-speaking nations? I can imagine there would be a ton of Brits, for example, who would love a shot at the American Dream, and they'd be highly welcomed by Americans. They already speak the language and adhere to American values, and they'd not be a burden to social services. That's the kind of immigration I'd be glad to support.

Couldn't Brits and other Europeans make a case that they are refugees in their own countries, with the intolerant Muslim invaders that have taken over?

Britain

Old 12-06-2016, 02:27 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,658,751 times
Quote:

Immigration is already open to the British, Europeans, and other white people you would prefer over whatever term you mentally use for pigmentation.

By the by, just because they are white and speak English does not mean they share American values. Britain is another nation, has a completely different culture, and many would view a move to the United States as a substantial loss to standard of living.

Other people in other places: they may be different from yourself, even if they are white.

Old 12-06-2016, 02:43 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,222,624 times
Quote:

Everyone would like to get the cream of any crop... but when the farmer bought the seeds, they had to get the bag with the good and bad seeds, and over time, the good seeds made often times a good yield. but, do we know whether or not the bad seed had any influence on the better performance of the good seed. that's an unknown that we can't know... So, as with life, we take the good with the bad and as we can, the more we learn the better we become at how we sort before we package, and we understand better how to buy. the same as with planting, experienced focused farmers, know the good seeds from the bad, better than a novice would even conceive there is a good and bad seed difference. all the novice would see is "seeds"...

The computer is relatively new in our society. 40 yrs is not that long, but we have become better, and as the computer advance, we will have better systems to manage not only immigration but many other things.
Our challenge is, we must not lose hope in improving, nor get lost in bickering and whining and crying and stay busy and focused to make sure those who control the wealth, do not continue controlling us.

Old 12-06-2016, 02:50 PM

35,679 posts, read 21,030,020 times
Quote:

There are many with talents and they use them.I give them kudos- I have seen people with out bodies paint with their feet to sell paintings etc to feed their families- I have worked with many people in different scenarios-- and OUR work ethics stinks - many want the money but not put in the hard work . I was a mgr for over 10 years-NEVER again- even now- I get totally frustrated with getting what I need from others- to complete my part of the job-- no-- something happened to the American workers - tell me what it is? they do hire illegals because the work and they work hard- that is problem folks!

Old 12-06-2016, 03:14 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,673,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
It is undeniably true that when you are forced to live in the modern world, you become more liberal. This is because our modern world does not exist solely in the United States, but happens to include... the rest of the globe.

So we liberals are living in the modern world, where reality happens to include the concept of other countries. We are also keenly aware of how the health of other nations affects ours, the demand that we understand other nations if we are to do business there, and the consequences that come home to roost if we ignore the world around us.

About your second point: I do not see Republicans as keeping Democrats "in reality". I think the modern GOP has moved so far into fantasy land, with promises of a "return" to a past that never existed, that they might as well be writing the sequel to Peter Pan.

I would be delighted if they would come back to their senses, neutralize the radicals that have held the party hostage, and get back in the business of running government as a necessary element of a healthy nation. I do not see that happening anytime soon.
So you are an open boarders guy? Just make everyone a US citizen, and be done with it. This way a US citizen is a meaningless concept since everyone is a citizen.

Old 12-06-2016, 03:16 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
So you are an open boarders guy? Just make everyone a US citizen, and be done with it. This way a US citizen is a meaningless concept since everyone is a citizen.
True. Globalists like Hillary that promote the idea of open borders aren't doing Americans any favors. Glad she didn't win. There are still many Dems though that will 'fight' for her bad policies..

Old 12-06-2016, 03:31 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,222,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
There are many with talents and they use them.I give them kudos- I have seen people with out bodies paint with their feet to sell paintings etc to feed their families- I have worked with many people in different scenarios-- and OUR work ethics stinks - many want the money but not put in the hard work . I was a mgr for over 10 years-NEVER again- even now- I get totally frustrated with getting what I need from others- to complete my part of the job-- no-- something happened to the American workers - tell me what it is? they do hire illegals because the work and they work hard- that is problem folks!
I'll tell you.. its the insidiousness of the "degree status madness".. for years I went to meeting with many top executives, many would only regurgitate what someone with name recognition said. they had no independent thought, and would fight you if you tried to open their mind. So they made decisions based on how to appease the person with the known name, regardless of the damage it caused to operations and system function.
Every since American got hung up on degree labels, based on influence from the FOR PROFIT university businesses, this nation has fallen in every category and function.
American no longer respects the worker, because the system has told people the only important people are the executives, so downwards goes the companies, the product quality failure and ultimately the failure of the company.
There are field where the degree is relevant to a point, but even in some of those fields we see calamity upon calimity. Even in the Medical Field. There are means, methods and technologies that "work", but because the executive director has committed to the lowest common slow working formulation, for the sake of lower insurance for mal practice, Innovation is stifled and people die needlessly.
This "degree madness systemic mentality" has been a destructive force in America for decades, even before the 1970's, and since the early 1970's as too, much of it started to fall apart in the 1960's it has become a continuing high speed atrocity. Part because this game was structured IN PART, to block out and lock out minorities and women, so the degree game intensified, yet the more minorities and women got bachelors degree, then it was diminished and now the claim is for a Master's degree, so the University Business churns them out, based on a guaranteed income generator, which is factored based on the % of bachelor degree they know they can profit from for the higher degree.
It does not mean better training or better skills, it means, put in the time, pay the money and get the paper. PERIOD !!!
They became so driven in this game, until it voided out the vocational certification and the tech certification, because Universities influence Human Resources and How Human Resources function in both public and private industry, and its all driven by the madness of the business of University, as being not an educational system, but a business and sports empire.

We have an ignorance that invaded the systems, called protocol madness, it has become like an infectious disease, that caters to status and name recognition as a status element, and it will continue to make bad decisions because of the nature of its constructed and constricted composition.

Imbecilic ignorance dominates the spectrum, the more it does, the further America falls behind.

Old 12-06-2016, 03:35 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,797,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
This is an immigrant nation.

To not support legal immigration would be un-American.
The country is overpopulated now and the job market is oversaturated so immigration should be limited. Mass amounts of immigrants entering the country drives wages down. In the 1700's and 1800's the country was being built that was different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies