Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 11:02 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times

Advertisements

I can see labor unions fighting this hard. No doubt if more stores switch over to this model there would be less employees in grocery stores.

Would you shop at a Amazon grocery store ?

I've thought of this idea before and was surprised that someone hadn't done this before actually.
This link shows a video to explain how it works.

https://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=16008589011

It's called "Just walkout technology" you just grab things , put them in your bag and walk out.

Link:
Amazon just opened a grocery store without a checkout line

Some more articles about these stores.

Amazon Go slammed as 'the end of jobs' by the New York Post

https://www.wired.com/2016/12/amazon-go-grocery-store/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 11:08 AM

575 posts, read 298,921 times
President Trump will offer Tax incentives to retailers to replace technology with people

Old 12-06-2016, 11:08 AM

18,496 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Sounds good to me. No more waiting in line behind some old lady paying for a bag of cat food with a check.

I'll gladly pay higher taxes for welfare/unemployment for the displaced workers.

Old 12-06-2016, 11:11 AM

4,095 posts, read 2,565,645 times
Obama will find a way to fine Amazon for not buying his crappy Obamacare for the robots.

Old 12-06-2016, 11:11 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Would you shop at a Amazon grocery store ?

Link:
Amazon just opened a grocery store without a checkout line
No different than the self-checkout lines in today's grocery stores.

Old 12-06-2016, 11:13 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
Unions aren't fighting it anymore or less than other Non -union grocery companies.

Old 12-06-2016, 11:13 AM

8,418 posts, read 7,414,580 times
Three thoughts.

First, grocery stores already have automated check out lanes, so the difference is that now there are no more cashiers, but there have been less cashiers for a while.

Second, places like Walmart aren't unionized. So the union impact would be smaller than might be expected.

Third, back 35 years ago when I worked at a grocery store that had a union, the really good paying jobs were night stock, not cashiers. I'm assuming that these jobs will still exist, even in an Amazon Go store.

Of course, I might be wrong....

Old 12-06-2016, 11:14 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Three thoughts.

First, grocery stores already have automated check out lanes, so the difference is that now there are no more cashiers, but there have been less cashiers for a while.

Second, places like Walmart aren't unionized. So the union impact would be smaller than might be expected.

Third, back 35 years ago when I worked at a grocery store that had a union, the really good paying jobs were night stock, not cashiers. I'm assuming that these jobs will still exist, even in an Amazon Go store.

You are not.

Old 12-06-2016, 11:19 AM

439 posts, read 357,525 times
Unions/guilds will always exist in one form or another. I'm pro-Union, a member of a union (affiliated with AFL-CIO)...And, I'd probably shop there.

Why? I believe AI has the potential to free workers from the drudgery of manual labor. The sooner we stop thinking/living/working as beasts of burden, the sooner we devote our minds to solve important issues facing mankind. 'Sides you need engineers for all of that technology--and (for now) people to stock the shelves...

Evolution is painful, but necessary.

Old 12-06-2016, 11:20 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Three thoughts.

Good points ,

I notice that many people don't use the self checkouts even if they are available. Also for some reason even if the store has self checkouts oftentimes they are closed off. I think this concept is a lot more attractive because you don't even need to go through the effort of self check out.
To me I usually prefer going to a cashier unless it's like 1 or 2 items.

Yes true, but I know there was a chain recently called Fresh and Easy and they were protested by the unions because they weren't union. The chain has now closed down , but I don't know if that had anything to do with the unions protesting them.

I believe you are correct that stocking jobs will still exist. Perhaps at some point robots will be able to stock..but it will probably be years away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies