Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Prime Minister Shinzo Abe apologize for Pearl Harbor
Yes, his country was at fault 23 28.75%
No, he isn't responsible 57 71.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 02:02 PM

5,898 posts, read 3,899,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
two things waldokitty, I stated that Chian and Russia were guilty of MODERN crimes. not 70 year old crimes.

second, you need to spend less time telling folk what they need to learn, I majored in history, history is kind of a thing with me. I am more than conversant on the topic at hand.
He's an engineer. He'll be the first to tell you he knows a lot about money, but not so much about history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 02:03 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times
When I was in the Navy, one of the jobs I did was drive the tour boats to the Arizona. I happened to see one day an elderly Japanese man in a wheelchair unsteadily get to his feet but before he could pay his respects, a raucous group of Japanese youths approached. The elderly man barked at the kids, straightened up into military bearing and berated the youths. Then he faced the wall of names, snapped a salute, clapped his hands twice, and bowed his head in prayer.

A silence descended as everyone there stood in silence as a man who had dropped bombs on the Arizona payed his respects to the crew entombed on board. He then turned and slowly made his way to the boat landing.

As he approached my boat, I yelled "Attention on deck" the Navy personnel snapped to attention, I yelled "Hand salute", four right hands snapped to their heads, I yelled "Ready to" the hands snapped down. The gentleman returned the salute and shook our hands on gratitude. As he shook my hand I said " Domo arigato gozaima****a". He nodded as tears filled his eyes.

No, no apology is necessary.

Old 12-07-2016, 02:07 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
When I was in the Navy, one of the jobs I did was drive the tour boats to the Arizona. I happened to see one day an elderly Japanese man in a wheelchair unsteadily get to his feet but before he could pay his respects, a raucous group of Japanese youths approached. The elderly man barked at the kids, straightened up into military bearing and berated the youths. Then he faced the wall of names, snapped a salute, clapped his hands twice, and bowed his head in prayer.

A silence descended as everyone there stood in silence as a man who had dropped bombs on the Arizona payed his respects to the crew entombed on board. He then turned and slowly made his way to the boat landing.

As he approached my boat, I yelled "Attention on deck" the Navy personnel snapped to attention, I yelled "Hand salute", four right hands snapped to their heads, I yelled "Ready to" the hands snapped down. The gentleman returned the salute and shook our hands on gratitude. As he shook my hand I said " Domo arigato gozaima****a". He nodded as tears filled his eyes.

Old 12-07-2016, 02:07 PM

20,458 posts, read 12,379,585 times
I do not know how our culture has become so much more course, yet at the same time so much more weak.

its a sad reality.

Old 12-07-2016, 02:14 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,452,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
"Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe won't apologize for Japan's attack when he visits the U.S. naval base at Pearl Harbor later this month, the government spokesman said Tuesday."

Japanese leader Abe won't apologize at Pearl Harbor | Fox News

Personally I don't see why he should. Just as I won't apologize for slavery. I wasn't born, I wasn't there, I have no blame, I have nothing to apologize for.
This is different from slavery.

#1. There are people alive today who are survivors.

I don't believe in the apology route, for Obama or Abe.

Although Obama did apologize for the US dropping the bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

It's history, so leave it at that.

Old 12-07-2016, 02:17 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,015,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post

That, mister is one of the most righteous things I have ever heard of...........Salute sir.

Old 12-07-2016, 02:19 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,958,439 times
We dropped two atomic bombs on their country. I don't expect anything from them.

Old 12-07-2016, 03:18 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
That, mister is one of the most righteous things I have ever heard of...........Salute sir.
We honoured a warrior.

It was the right thing to do.

Old 12-07-2016, 03:26 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,132,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post
The only leaders who go around the world apologizing for their country being so terrible are American Democrats.
We have a lot of actions by deplorables to apologize for..

Old 12-07-2016, 03:32 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,327,650 times
lot of chest beating in here. Apologies aren't always about apologizing, it's about good diplomacy and opening up communications. But all Americans understand is war. Every other comment is "we dropped bombs on them screw them..."

also...it's funny how when it's the winning side of a war "we" is used by people in here claiming things from the past, but not for the bad stuff America has done to people. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies