Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 03:18 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
These black workers should take up their problems with the Chicago mayor Emanuel who met with Trump today and reiterated his determination to remain a "Sanctuary City". The mayor of their city wants the illegals in Chicago.

Emanuel has 'very good' meeting with Trump in New York - Chicago Tribune

Since Trump's election victory last month, Emanuel has made it a point to push back against the Republican, repeatedly insisting Chicago would remain a welcoming place for immigrants and remain a sanctuary city.

"I also spoke out strongly about what it means to be a sanctuary city who will support and secure the people who are here, like my grandfather who came to the city of Chicago as a 13-year-old 100 years ago," Emanuel told reporters Wednesday. "Chicago was a sanctuary city for my grandfather. His grandson today is the mayor of this city, which is a testament to the strength of the values and ideals of America."

I hope if they ever do a poll about why people are moving out of the city, this ass hat's statement is cited, although crime from illegals doesn't seem to be the problem in Chicago.

What nerve. And he'll be back on television all contrite and begging to be given another chance come next election, just like he was last time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 03:18 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,120,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Yes, "leftists" invented that line, the GOP had nothing to do with looking the other way at illegal immigration for say, 3 decades. Nope, it was all those Democrats.

Are people really this duped?
That's all I have heard it from is leftist social justice warriors recently.

Everyone I know that is conservative wants them gone

Old 12-07-2016, 04:42 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Not that I condone this type of thing, but when people talk about doing jobs Americans don't want to do, they're talking about things like farm hand labor.

Which is also untrue. Growing up in a rural area, come Summer we HS kids always had work on the farms and ranches in the area. Work we happily took. It was hard and had long hours, and paid piecework in a lot of cases. But we did it and were glad to have it. Same area now? No chance. The work is ALL either illegals or seasonal migrants, and they literally won't tolerate anyone who isn't Hispanic. A White HS kid tries to go to work in the fields and they will get run off. One way or another.

I blame it on the farmers and ranchers who hire these people. They opened the door. Seasonal work for construction is the same way. A non Hispanic kid has no chance. Used to be work for the HS kids as general labor, scrapping out and such, was a good way to get some experience and make a little Summer money. Not anymore. Use of illegal migrant labor is out of control and off the chain. They even have their own unions, and the fact they don't even belong here doesn't negate the power they have over certain labor markets. And companies keep hiring them.

Old 12-07-2016, 04:56 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,871,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Only in part.......They are taking jobs that American's wont do for subpar wages.
Every job is a job Americans won't do if the working conditions and compensation are inadequate. Conversely, every job is a job Americans will do if the working conditions and compensation are adequate.

But oftentimes illegals are taking home the same pay as an American especially since it's under the table. There are many employers who would just rather hire illegals than Americans even at the same pay rate. And the show stopper is illegal's children born here get affirmative action along with welfare. I don't know why any working or middle class American would be okay with immigration cutting down their slice of the pie and raising the price of it.

Old 12-07-2016, 05:12 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,946,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Not that I condone this type of thing, but when people talk about doing jobs Americans don't want to do, they're talking about things like farm hand labor.
The ”they do the jobs Americans won't do” is only half the statement. The unsaid second half is "at a third world wage". Pay Americans a decent wage and they will do the work.

This isn't a partisan issue either. Republicans like the cheap labor and democrats like the bodies for voter fraud and future legitimate voters.

Old 12-07-2016, 05:29 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,259,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
The ”they do the jobs Americans won't do” is only half the statement. The unsaid second half is "at a third world wage". Pay Americans a decent wage and they will do the work.

This isn't a partisan issue either. Republicans like the cheap labor and democrats like the bodies for voter fraud and future legitimate voters.
I visited a relative in a nursing home in Connecticut last year. A really nice private one. Almost every single aide was an immigrant. Americans won't take those jobs. The pay is average for a fairly unskilled job.

So I assume all Americans would be willing to pay much higher rates at nursing homes (if they can actually afford private nursing homes that do not accept Medicare or Medicaid) so they can pay Americans much higher wages plus great benefits?

Who do you think will absorb the cost of these employees at higher wages with benefits? Corporations--lol? They won't. The shareholders must get their dividends. The cost of higher wages is passed on to consumers who will then whine and moan about high prices.

And the same people complaining about low wages complain about a $15 minimum wage. Cannot have it both ways.

Immigrants are simply scapegoats. The part accusers always leave out of this argument is that Americans are not willing to pay higher costs for everything so that workers can be paid more. You are pointing your finger in the wrong direction. Complain about corporate greed.

As for your voter fraud comment--could you please provide some proof of that myth?

Old 12-07-2016, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I visited a relative in a nursing home in Connecticut last year. A really nice private one. Almost every single aide was an immigrant. Americans won't take those jobs. The pay is average for a fairly unskilled job.

So I assume all Americans would be willing to pay much higher rates at nursing homes (if they can actually afford private nursing homes that do not accept Medicare or Medicaid) so they can pay Americans much higher wages plus great benefits?

Who do you think will absorb the cost of these employees at higher wages with benefits? Corporations--lol? They won't. The shareholders must get their dividends. The cost of higher wages is passed on to consumers who will then whine and moan about high prices.

And the same people complaining about low wages complain about a $15 minimum wage. Cannot have it both ways.

Immigrants are simply scapegoats. The part accusers always leave out of this argument is that Americans are not willing to pay higher costs for everything so that workers can be paid more. You are pointing your finger in the wrong direction. Complain about corporate greed.

As for your voter fraud comment--could you please provide some proof of that myth?
You have no proof that Americans won't take the jobs. You have no proof the employer couldn't pay more without raising prices. You have no proof they can raise their prices any higher than they already are. You have no proof that the mostly elderly white people in their final days want to be cared for by foreigners who are not like them. You have no proof that the immigrant workers treat the elderly patience as well. All you have is pro-foreign worker assertions.

Old 12-07-2016, 05:36 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,946,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post

Yes, prices would go up. They are being artificially subsidized at a lower rate by illegal immigrants. Labor is supposed to be a market and the illegals are distorting that market.

The $15 minimum wage is a dumb idea because it is an arbitrary number plucked out of some leftist's ass. It assumes all labor is worth $15 which is simply not the case. The people who deserve $15 are already making it because they have marketable skills or live in an area with a labor shortage.

Old 12-07-2016, 05:38 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,259,424 times
Could someone who is pushing the argument that illegal immigrants take jobs that Americans want, please provide some examples of states that cracked down on illegal immigration hiring and saw an employment and economic boom? Alabama? Georgia?

I know if there was a crackdown in FL, local men and women would be beating down the doors to work in hotel/motel housekeeping.

Forbes Welcome

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.e9ee2bf008dc

How America's harshest immigration law failed | MSNBC

Alabama got rid of illegal immigrants and discovered that Americans don’t want their backbreaking, low-paying jobs – InvestmentWatch

Old 12-07-2016, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Yes, prices would go up. They are being artificially subsidized at a lower rate by illegal immigrants. Labor is supposed to be a market and the illegals are distorting that market.
I don't think it's establish fact prices would go up due to using legal labor. If the market would allow higher prices, the prices would be higher already. So I doubt they would or could go up, especially when the labor cost difference and per unit labor cost are small to begin with. In theory, one could lower taxes if all labor was legal and you could reduce prices that way. The FED policies and mass immigration are probably driving up prices more than labor cost differences.

Quote:
The $15 minimum wage is a dumb idea because it is an arbitrary number plucked out of some leftist's ass. It assumes all labor is worth $15 which is simply not the case. The people who deserve $15 are already making it because they have marketable skills or live in an area with a labor shortage.
I agree. I didn't hear all this clamor to double minimum wage when it was mostly white Americans working the jobs. Now that we have all the immigration, doubling minimum wage is a big issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies