Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 11:29 AM

29,335 posts, read 9,509,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
good article, even though all these points have been made by others already.
Agreed, and I think I enjoyed the video that soon follows the start of this thread a good deal better, but it sure seems ironic that everyone insults the other side one way or another while bemoaning how insulting it is to be insulted...

There is a line in that video that goes something like this if I remember right, "we waged wars on poverty not on poor people."

I wonder..., who is better able to take credit for all described in the video, that either once made us great or no longer makes America #1 by so many measures? Is it thinking that tilts left or right of center (wherever center might be these days)? I think the answer is a blend of all sorts of philosophy, ideology and lots of trial and error that hopefully has us progressing toward a better country for our children. Part of the answer might have to do with all those other countries mentioned in the video that score better than America does when it comes to so many important measures.

Too many people going on about the record high in the stock market right now, as if all of a sudden that doesn't represent more of the rich getting richer while so many Americans don't even own stock, or their home, or retirement savings. We've got the suits being settled over people duped into attending Trump University while our kids seem to be falling further and further behind in education. Tax cuts for everyone, even the highest income earners that already don't pay as high a tax rate as teachers, while also $500 billion in government spending for infrastructure...

It is no wonder we insult one another, far easier than trying to make sense of what is really going on all around us...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 11:36 AM

77,737 posts, read 59,870,178 times
[quote=DRob4JC;46440164]From the article...

The privileged worked hard for Trump. Every time they described his people as uneducated white males, implicit dregs, they drove votes to Donald. And they so described the working class unceasingly.

It made him President. Good, bad, or indifferent, it is how he got in.

In other words, many who support the left here on C-D helped get Trump elected.

Yep. Constantly harping on anyone voting for Trump as merely racist, stupid, redneck etc. really ticked off a lot of people that didn't like Trump OR Hillary.

Just like Trump ticked of Muslim voters with blanket statements, Democrats were doing the same thing to HUGE voting segments like white male and "older folks". When the moderates among them went to vote while holding their noses, many remembered who were saying they're stupid, racist backwards old folks blah blah blah.

Hillary runs her campaign more neutral in tone and she very possibly wins.

Old 12-08-2016, 11:42 AM

30,463 posts, read 21,660,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
I am not uneducated, deplorable or a white male. However, these stereotypes being pushed on all Trump supporters by the media and posters here only made me want to vote Trump more. I would have never voted for HRC but may have refrained from voting if it were not for the demeaning, nasty attitude of the left trying to shame people into not voting for him.
^^ My position exactly. Im an Engineer in the Defense Industry, very educated and almost all Conservative in this industry. The more the HRC people painted Conservatives as being uneducated Yocals, the more it pushed my co-workers into voting for Trump.

Old 12-08-2016, 11:45 AM

30,463 posts, read 21,660,086 times
[quote=Mathguy;46442465]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
From the article...

The privileged worked hard for Trump. Every time they described his people as uneducated white males, implicit dregs, they drove votes to Donald. And they so described the working class unceasingly.

It made him President. Good, bad, or indifferent, it is how he got in.

In other words, many who support the left here on C-D helped get Trump elected.

Yep. Constantly harping on anyone voting for Trump as merely racist, stupid, redneck etc. really ticked off a lot of people that didn't like Trump OR Hillary.

Just like Trump ticked of Muslim voters with blanket statements, Democrats were doing the same thing to HUGE voting segments like white male and "older folks". When the moderates among them went to vote while holding their noses, many remembered who were saying they're stupid, racist backwards old folks blah blah blah.

Hillary runs her campaign more neutral in tone and she very possibly wins.
Yep, if this was the Hillary of the early 2000s she probably would have won.

Old 12-08-2016, 12:02 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,342,219 times
Might have something to do with this. It was a big reason I didn't vote for Hillary (voted Kerry, Obama, Obama, G Johnson)

Old 12-08-2016, 12:04 PM

14,295 posts, read 9,631,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I am fascinated by what might happen in the next four years. Just so long as the Trumpsters keep their greedy paws off my Pension, my Social Security, My VA Disability and my Medicare.
I'm sure that any plan to address Medicare or SS will be aimed at those people 54 and younger. Every plan I've seen to address SS has made sure to preserve the current SS you may be collecting, because you paid into the old system.

It will be interesting indeed to see what trump does. He does not come off as political or ideological, he's looking to fix things to improve the lives of the people, and strengthen the nation.

Old 12-08-2016, 12:07 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,463,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I wasn't an enthusiastic Hillary supporter and I think she ran an obviously lousy campaign. But her loss goes much deeper than appearances.

This is an excellent article on how Hillary's "allies" actually did a lot of heavy lifting for Trump.

Uniquely Talented: Only the Democrats Could Have Lost to Trump | Fred On Everything

The author is a former Marine and Vietnam vet. I read his columns from time to time and enjoy his writing.

Maybe you will, too.
It took a guy named Fred for you to temporarily grasp why Trump won. Notice he didn't blame Hillary's loss on misogyny, self-hating women, racist old white men, the vast right wing conspiracy or other vapid excuses. I'm pretty sure your epiphany will be short-lived, so try to remember what it feels like to accept the truth.

Old 12-08-2016, 12:29 PM

37,739 posts, read 40,789,075 times
I can say it in one sentence: Trump outsmarted all of the people who called him stupid.

None of them, not the high-horse media, not his 17 opponents, not the do-nothings on Capitol Hill will ever say that was the reason.

Old 12-08-2016, 12:32 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,220,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I wasn't an enthusiastic Hillary supporter and I think she ran an obviously lousy campaign. But her loss goes much deeper than appearances.

This is an excellent article on how Hillary's "allies" actually did a lot of heavy lifting for Trump.

Uniquely Talented: Only the Democrats Could Have Lost to Trump | Fred On Everything

The author is a former Marine and Vietnam vet. I read his columns from time to time and enjoy his writing.

Maybe you will, too.
An ugly after the fact rationale with little added value.

Ignores the fact that Clinton in fact won the popular vote and was defeated by a Constitutional quirk.

Of course she and her supporters made errors...pretty good sized ones...but small in comparison to those of Trump.

Aside from Comey she would have won. And if she had not made mistakes she likely would have won big.

But Fred brings no insight. Just another "know-it-all" rant.

Old 12-08-2016, 12:34 PM

30,133 posts, read 23,520,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Really curious where these beatings took place while the police looked on and did nothing, but stereotypes or not, your entire comment offers about as much an intelligent well-reasoned explanation for why a Trump supporter voted for Trump as any...
You have got to be kidding us right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies