Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 07:41 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Yep.
You technically can get steel made in the USA. However, it will be more expensive, and fewer workers will be needed. The steel industry has changed. More brain power is required. Fewer workers over all are needed. The coal industry has also changed. More brain power needed, fewer workers needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 07:45 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
You technically can get steel made in the USA. However, it will be more expensive, and fewer workers will be needed. The steel industry has changed. More brain power is required. Fewer workers over all are needed. The coal industry has also changed. More brain power needed, fewer workers needed.
Yes and that is why the economy changed and it will be very interesting to see Trump make the Rust Belt great again. What is Trump going to do, complain on Twitter when companies do exactly what he did and buy from China?

Old 12-08-2016, 07:48 AM

7,786 posts, read 8,024,746 times
At least Trump will try.Obama could care less.He was more interested in bathrooms.

Old 12-08-2016, 07:50 AM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
All China has to do is sell it cheaper and if Trump demands the U.S. sell it cheaper, it becomes a race to the bottom.
You must not have been following the news:

This Steel Industry Giant Says It Could Restore 10,000 Jobs in the U. S.

This Steel Industry Giant Says It Could Restore 10,000 Jobs in U.S.

I guess they did not read the memo that we cannot compete with China. We just needed a real leader.

Old 12-08-2016, 07:51 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,673,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
Is anyone else contemplating buying stock in US Steel now that Trump will be President? With hopes that he will stick with his word to improve infrastructure and use American companies to do so?
Hopes for short term gains thru an infrastructure bill, is not why US Steel feels optimistic. They are optimistic because Trump has stated he will push to lower the corporate tax rates and some unneeded regulations, which over burden businesses.

US Steel wants to accelerate investments, bring back jobs, CEO says

CEO Mario Longhi told CNBC on Wednesday, "We already structured to do some things, but when you see in the near future improvement to the tax laws, improvements to regulation, those two things by themselves may be a significant driver to what we're going to do," he said in an interview with CNBC's "Power Lunch."

"When you get into some situations where we're being asked to control some substances in water that are far lower than what nature naturally offers, that's irrational," he said.
"There was a point in time in the past couple years that I was having to hire more lawyers to try to interpret these new regulations than I was hiring … engineers. That doesn't make any sense."

Old 12-08-2016, 07:51 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,977,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oespinoza83 View Post
No. Do you not know anything about commodities?
I am not a huge "trader". I only own a few stocks. Got in with Facebook at its low. A few others. I am in the legal profession. That is why I was asking the question. If I knew a lot about the subject, I would not be asking random strangers on a message board what they think. Does that make sense to you?

Old 12-08-2016, 07:52 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
You must not have been following the news:

This Steel Industry Giant Says It Could Restore 10,000 Jobs in the U. S.

This Steel Industry Giant Says It Could Restore 10,000 Jobs in U.S.

I guess they did not read the memo that we cannot compete with China. We just needed a real leader.
A "real leader" that bought Chinese steel himself?

Old 12-08-2016, 07:55 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,977,467 times
Quote:
A "real leader" that bought Chinese steel himself?
He was not President when he bought that steel from China, he was a businessman making smart decisions for his business. Trump needs to change our corporate tax laws, lift regulations and make our businesses be able to compete again. That way, businessman can use American companies and still profit.

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Steel employment will continue to trend downwards.

U.S. steel industry has lost 48,000 jobs since 2000 | Steel | nwitimes.com

This is the same trend in the U.K. as well.

10,659 posts, read 10,721,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm doing a project now with 3 or 4 thousand tons of steel. All the complex welded components come from over seas. the simple steel parts like re-bar, structural steel etc. come from the US for most part. I would note that all the suppliers are US based company's...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies