Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 04:08 PM

979 posts, read 488,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
There has not been a one-term Presidency since George H.W. Bush who was defeated in 1992.

Before the election, I had a feeling that either Hillary or Trump would become America's next one-term President. Both choices had all of the makings of it.

Could this be a blessing in disguise for Democrats?
I have had the same thought going into this election, I imagined either candidate would end up being a one term president. Even if Clinton won and she continued doing what Obama was doing and helped move our country to a more prosperous economy like Obama had done, she would have still been extremely disliked and picked apart for everything she would do. Republicans would have had an easy time beating her in 2020. Though with Trump in office and the screw ups he is gonna do over the next four years, I wouldn't be surprised to see him have a tough reelection in 2020 now that he will actually have a political record he has to defend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 04:09 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,683,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
There has not been a one-term Presidency since George H.W. Bush who was defeated in 1992.

Before the election, I had a feeling that either Hillary or Trump would become America's next one-term President. Both choices had all of the makings of it.

Could this be a blessing in disguise for Democrats?
Zero chance Dems win in 2020. Its 8 years of Trump and or someone who takes over for him when he retires after 4 years.

Old 12-08-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
Zero chance Dems win in 2020. Its 8 years of Trump and or someone who takes over for him when he retires after 4 years.
That is possible, I could definitely see Trump calling it quits after a horrible four years because I can't imagine anyone wanting to run on the record he is about to create.

Old 12-08-2016, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperOscar View Post
That is possible, I could definitely see Trump calling it quits after a horrible four years because I can't imagine anyone wanting to run on the record he is about to create.
You mean fixing our roads, hospitals, bridges and schools as well as creating tens of thousands of jobs and making our streets safer? Not sure what you're suggesting.

Old 12-08-2016, 04:16 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,648,158 times
Quote:
I seriously doubt Trump would win reelection but I also seriously doubt Trump runs in four years because he won't want to lose. I also think the country is going to be very tired of his behavior by year two. Time will tell but Trump supporters seem to think the country has chosen a Trump monarchy.

Old 12-08-2016, 04:18 PM

Quote:
You mean fixing our roads, hospitals, bridges and schools as well as creating tens of thousands of jobs and making our streets safer? Not sure what you're suggesting.
I highly doubt that will happen since the Republicans had a chance to do that in Congress the past six years and haven't bothered to do any of that. I do expect to see plenty of money wasted through crony capitalism and government waste as they cut big checks to their friends that don't do any of the things you are expecting to happen.

Old 12-08-2016, 04:19 PM

4,488 posts, read 3,903,739 times
Trump will do a LOT in his first 4 years. IF he stops the flow of illegal immigration, reinvigorates the military & VA, lowers corporate taxes and renegotiates trade deals in OUR favor, I could totally see him handing off the day to day operations to a new president, and that would be fine with me. As active as Pence has been so far, he might be the guy. It will all depend on how successful he is during the first 4 years. If he is even moderately successful, I don't see anyone on the Dem bench that could beat him.

Old 12-08-2016, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I seriously doubt Trump would win reelection but I also seriously doubt Trump runs in four years because he won't want to lose. I also think the country is going to be very tired of his behavior by year two. Time will tell but Trump supporters seem to think the country has chosen a Trump monarchy.
One of the biggest factors is the millions of votes that the democrats are going to lose next election when the entire voting system is overhauled, there won't be dead people or illegals voting in 4 years, so having to overcome that is something the Republicans won't have to worry about.

A lot is going to happen on Jan 20 and in the 100 days after that, i'd suggest you keep an open mind about Trump, he's going to improve many areas where Obama was lacking.

Old 12-08-2016, 04:25 PM

30,012 posts, read 18,849,267 times
Number 1 issue is his health, he seems very healthy despite some extra lbs. but he will be 74. Beyond that, I think Trump will be successful and enjoy being President but I don't think it would go well if Dems are elected the majority either in the House and/or Senate. He wouldn't enjoy being President while not getting anything done like Obama has with Republicans running the government the last couple of years.

Old 12-08-2016, 04:31 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,648,158 times
Quote:
One of the biggest factors is the millions of votes that the democrats are going to lose next election when the entire voting system is overhauled, there won't be dead people or illegals voting in 4 years, so having to overcome that is something the Republicans won't have to worry about.

A lot is going to happen on Jan 20 and in the 100 days after that, i'd suggest you keep an open mind about Trump, he's going to improve many areas where Obama was lacking.
Democrats watched how President Obama was treated from Day One. It will be a pleasure to vote against Trump and the GOP. Republicans have been trying to make it difficult to vote for decades. They may be able to make it harder, they may also anticipate a bigger bump than they actually get from making it harder when they find those voters weren't dead.

Dems do not have a favorable map in 2018 so I have no expectations there but after four years of Republicans controlling the presidency, the Senate, the House and the SC, Democrats will likely be extremely motivated as well as those in the country that are either sick of Trump or looking for a change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies