Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 09:59 PM

4,204 posts, read 2,341,530 times

Advertisements

There was a 30 year trend where earth's temperature was slightly cooling. The media used to talk about another ice age, remember that?

Then from 1975 to 2000 temperatures rose.

Since 2000 earth's surface temperatures have remained the same, or fallen ever so slightly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 12:11 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,395,314 times
You've been duped OP. The myth of the 1970s "global cooling consensus" is bogus B.S. The scientific community of the 1970's did NOT hold such a consensus, not even close.

The Myth of the Global Cooling Consensus | RealClearScience

Study debunks 'global cooling' concern of '70s - USATODAY.com

Old 12-08-2016, 12:31 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetosave View Post
There was a 30 year trend where earth's temperature was slightly cooling. The media used to talk about another ice age, remember that?

Then from 1975 to 2000 temperatures rose.

Since 2000 earth's surface temperatures have remained the same, or fallen ever so slightly.
Yeah right...

NOAA and NASA jointly released their global temperature data, making it official: 2015 was the hottest year on record (since 1880). The previous hottest year was 2014, and the last time back-to-back hottest years occurred were 2006-07. In fact, the top 10 hottest years have all happened since 1998, and fifteen of the 16 warmest years on record have occurred since 2001. The 10 Hottest Years on Record | Climate Central

2016 will very likely be the hottest year on record and a new high for the third year in a row, according to the UN. It means 16 of the 17 hottest years on record will have been this century. https://www.theguardian.com/environm...record-un-says

You need to choose your sources more wisely.

Old 12-08-2016, 12:38 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
I seem to recall this article drawing a pretty fair amount of attention at the time:

The Coming Ice Age | Harper's Magazine

Old 12-08-2016, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
I seem to recall this article drawing a pretty fair amount of attention at the time:

The Coming Ice Age | Harper's Magazine
Perhaps if humans had not started pouring CO2 into the atmosphere we may have been heading for a cooling phase....It causes one to wonder if by our burning of fossil fuels we have accidentally discovered a way to stop another glacial period.....

The problem is that we have adapted to the climate we've had since civilization began and too much warming could be worse than too much cooling.

Old 12-08-2016, 01:31 AM

3,888 posts, read 4,542,046 times
Absolutely! I was in high school in the 70's and I remember clearly our science teacher telling us that we were heading towards an ice age. It kind of freaked me out, lol!

Old 12-08-2016, 03:13 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
You know, there is one thing that really bothers me about this whole climate change debate (and yes, in the interest of full disclosure, I believe it is "a thing.")

What about avoiding pollution because, regardless of what it may or may not do to the climate, the fact remains, IT POLLUTES. How about avoiding it just because it poisons the air? Remember all the hoopla about the lousy air in Bejing during the Olympics? If we keep the air clean just because clean air is good in its own right, whatever role human activity has in global warming does or does not have will take care of itself.

Old 12-08-2016, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
You know, there is one thing that really bothers me about this whole climate change debate (and yes, in the interest of full disclosure, I believe it is "a thing.")

What about avoiding pollution because, regardless of what it may or may not do to the climate, the fact remains, IT POLLUTES. How about avoiding it just because it poisons the air? Remember all the hoopla about the lousy air in Bejing during the Olympics? If we keep the air clean just because clean air is good in its own right, whatever role human activity has in global warming does or does not have will take care of itself.
CO2 is not a pollutant, but a natural and necessary part of the atmosphere and life on earth....Without it there would be no life of any kind.

It is a case of allowing the earth to regain the CO2 balance. Since we messed up the natural carbon balance it is up to us to restore it....Eventually if we continue to ignore or avoid the problem it will take care of itself, but not until we run out fossil fuels, or there aren't enough of us left to matter.

Carbon is the backbone of life on Earth. We are made of carbon, we eat carbon, and our civilizations—our economies, our homes, our means of transport—are built on carbon. We need carbon, but that need is also entwined with one of the most serious problems facing us today: global climate change. The Carbon Cycle : Feature Articles

Old 12-08-2016, 04:30 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
CO2 is not a pollutant, but a natural and necessary part of the atmosphere and life on earth....Without it there would be no life of any kind.

It is a case of allowing the earth to regain the CO2 balance. Since we messed up the natural carbon balance it is up to us to restore it....Eventually if we continue to ignore or avoid the problem it will take care of itself, but not until we run out fossil fuels, or there aren't enough of us left to matter.

Carbon is the backbone of life on Earth. We are made of carbon, we eat carbon, and our civilizations—our economies, our homes, our means of transport—are built on carbon. We need carbon, but that need is also entwined with one of the most serious problems facing us today: global climate change. The Carbon Cycle : Feature Articles
Did I say anything that leads you to believe that I think otherwise?

Old 12-08-2016, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Did I say anything that leads you to believe that I think otherwise?
You said this..."What about avoiding pollution because, regardless of what it may or may not do to the climate, the fact remains, IT POLLUTES. How about avoiding it just because it poisons the air?"

I thought you meant CO2 when you said that it pollutes....Sorry, I guess I misunderstood you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies