Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 04:48 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,328,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post

Of course the liberals are angry.
The second I see Libs happy with one of Trump's picks I'll know it's the wrong person for this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 04:56 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
The problem with Seattle is everyone moving here.

Seattle region's population growing at historic pace, making biggest annual gain in a century - GeekWire

The minimum wage increase has not stopped our unemployment from falling to 3.4%. But housing has become very expensive because we don't have enough houses for so many people moving here.

Old 12-08-2016, 05:02 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
The problem with Seattle is everyone moving here.

Seattle region's population growing at historic pace, making biggest annual gain in a century - GeekWire

The minimum wage increase has not stopped our unemployment from falling to 3.4%. But housing has become very expensive because we don't have enough houses for so many people moving here.
No. Look at those stats again. Even when people left the CPI went up.

Old 12-08-2016, 05:17 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Anti-labor guy for secretary of labor. Tree hater for EPA. OK. The minimum wage is better as a state issue I think, because state laws can reflect local cost of living conditions. Many states, including my own Redizona have enacted minimum wage higher than the fed (we go to $10 on 1/1/2017 and adjust up from there for the next couple years). Fortunately we have a very powerful tool in voter initiated referendums that the legislature can not, by constitution, easily change. Not all states have that. Their wages will lag the rest of the country and workers will leave. So the market will work.
on this we agree. i also think that any minimum wage law needs to be a state level deal, and not a federal one. a one size fits all approach doesnt work in a nation as large as ours is.

Old 12-08-2016, 05:23 PM

35,692 posts, read 21,049,622 times
if you make too little does NOT pay to work-after: child care -clothes- gas- food that you must eat out- or other type of transportation and time-

Old 12-08-2016, 05:23 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,473,727 times
Very fitting that he's connected with Carl's Jr.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW-4LU79qbU

Old 12-08-2016, 05:24 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
There's a Carl's Jr just up the road from me. It's expensive, but I think I'll go ahead and buy a meal from them...maybe on January 20th.
If you think Carl's Jr is expensive, I don't see how in the world a Trump presidency will ever benefit you.

Old 12-08-2016, 05:27 PM

Quote:
I think this is a great pick as I think a $15 minimum wage would be horrible for the economy and also for low skill workers.

One group that isn’t pleased with Trump’s selection is Fight for $15, the union-backed campaign that has agitated for higher minimum wages and collective bargaining rights. In a statement, Mary Kay Henry, the president of the Service Employees International Union, which has coordinated the campaign, said that Trump’s choice shows “how out of touch he is with what working Americans need.”

Sorry Fight for $15 crowd , you are out of touch with basic economics!

Donald Trump Chooses Fast-Food CEO To Be His Labor Secretary | The Huffington Post

Trump picks opponent of higher minimum wage for Labor Dept
I'm split on this issue.

I'm not fond of the pick because it seems like a big "up yours" to the people who work minimum wage jobs and that's no kind of way to "unite" the people.

I am also not fond of a 15-dollar an hour minimum wage because it'll only lose jobs over time because businesses like to make money and automation would be cheaper in many instances than paying a wage that high over the long term.

That said, I am pretty fond of a minimal increase to it, because it's long overdue, and perhaps letting state and local governments elect to raise the minimum in places that can support that wage.

Mixed bag. I really do think this pick sends the wrong message, though.

Old 12-08-2016, 05:28 PM

269 posts, read 134,646 times
Quote:
I think this is a great pick as I think a $15 minimum wage would be horrible for the economy and also for low skill workers.

One group that isn’t pleased with Trump’s selection is Fight for $15, the union-backed campaign that has agitated for higher minimum wages and collective bargaining rights. In a statement, Mary Kay Henry, the president of the Service Employees International Union, which has coordinated the campaign, said that Trump’s choice shows “how out of touch he is with what working Americans need.”

Sorry Fight for $15 crowd , you are out of touch with basic economics!

Donald Trump Chooses Fast-Food CEO To Be His Labor Secretary | The Huffington Post

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/trump-...--finance.html

The amount of attention conservatives focus on liberals being angry whatever that means to them to assure themselves that Trump isn't screwing over the working class in the exact same way any traditional conservative politician would have done is truly hilarious.

Supposedly, Trump is all about the blue collar worker, but his cabinet is filled with Billionaires and his public policy ideas as they are, won't do anything for blue collar workers.

But you keep being happy that liberals are angry, that's a sound basis for approving of Trump's decisions.

Ignore all of those "elites" dominating the ranks of Trump's economic and labor appointments. After all Billionaire's know best.

Can we stop pretending that "trump supporters" are against the elite and worried about "blue collar jobs"?

Old 12-08-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I don't think I've ever seen a happy "liberal".

They seem to be the most perpetually upset people in the world.
I'm not a Democrat, but my opinions are fairly liberal on social issues. I'm a bit more conservative on social issues. I'm also pretty happy most of the time.

I don't think it's fair to say that liberals aren't happy people. Come now... I've seen the angry, screaming people on Fox News and they're all conservatives.

Footage of Trump rallies contained a good many angry folks, too.

Sweeping statements like you made here are divisive, just like the Trump campaign.

But, you know that already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies