Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 08:32 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,897,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Who's they? Farmers? In my area we have enough organic gardens and greenhouses to supply us well and that's not counting all the urban chickens.
Those rinky dinky vegetable gardens and couple of chickens will never make up for the farms that go on for as far as the eye can see especially when the other 99% of the people that live there decide to take it from you. to think a large urban area like NYC for example could feed itself is just preposterous. Even it could now you're a bunch of farmers...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 08:33 PM

26,400 posts, read 46,364,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
But have you been to any of these flyover states ?
There is a difference between a flyover state like Indiana and a flyover state like Kansas. Indiana is shorter drive to larger metro areas and population centers. Indiana is centrally located to most areas of the eastern US. Kansas is centrally located to nothing and KCI (larger regional airport) is still losing ground by the year with fewer selection of flights and even higher ticket prices.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:38 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,655,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Those rinky dinky vegetable gardens and couple of chickens will never make up for the farms that go on for as far as the eye can see especially when the other 99% of the people that live there decide to take it from you. to think a large urban area like NYC for example could feed itself is just preposterous. Even it could now you're a bunch of farmers...
We can hire gardeners, I have no fear from a middle of the country split. None at all. I think the coasts would come out ahead.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:46 PM

Quote:
We can hire gardeners, I have no fear from a middle of the country split. None at all. I think the coasts would come out ahead.
Someone in another thread made the suggestion of splitting the country up into Trumpland and Clintonland. If we look at energy for example Clintonland lands gets the nice shiny headquarters of the energy company with a bunch of pencil pushers and Trumpland gets the gas wells, mines and electric power plants.

Hell, NYC couldn't even produce it's own gas if they wanted to because it's banned in Clintonland. LOL

Old 12-09-2016, 08:46 PM

589 posts, read 1,217,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
But have you been to any of these flyover states ?
I've been to Michigan for a work related conference. I wasn't impressed beyond the three square block surrounding the capital building. I was offered a job by the company running the event and I turned it down because there wasn't much to do in the city even though the COL was attractive (loft apartments for $700).

Funny enough one of the nicest coworkers i've met is from Michigan and he is bewildered at why his state voted for Trump. He is well traveled and a Senior Director at the big four (i'll let you figure that one out).

Quote:
Someone in another thread made the suggestion of splitting the country up into Trumpland and Clintonland. If we look at energy for example Clintonland lands gets the nice shiny headquarters of the energy company with a bunch of pencil pushers and Trumpland gets the gas wells, mines and electric power plants.

Hell, NYC couldn't even produce it's own gas if they wanted to because it's banned in Clintonland. LOL
Good luck finding laborers to do the jobs mentioned above. I doubt you'll have any competent people to manage those industries as well. Wouldn't take much to generate our own power in NYC. The pencil pushers are the ones who are competent enough to do the math... a scary subject for some.

I'm sure you'll enjoy living in Amish country once you can't import any products from overseas and living off hamburgers/pasta for the rest of your life.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:49 PM

Quote:

We have wind and water power, amazing weather, rain, salmon; I have no interest in Trumpland and would love to see my tax money benefit only blue areas.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:49 PM

Quote:
We can hire gardeners,
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.1613.../data=!3m1!1e3

Zoom out, I dare you.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Your point? It seems terribly important to flyover states to convince us we need them. I don't think we do. We don't feel compelled to tell them they need us. I'm sure they'll be fine.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:51 PM

56,990 posts, read 35,095,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Heard this tonight in an online game.

Amazing how stupid liberals are. I've always noticed the coastal states require safe spaces, tons of regulation, and supervision, but much of the interior of the country is far more live and let live, and do your own thing.
Right.

That's why the New Deal was set up to keep all those Americans in flyover country from starving to death. Because they're so good at "do your own thing."

You're a genius.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:54 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,007,581 times
Damm after reading this drivel I wish I could vote for Trump again.Divide divide divide the new dem cheer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies