Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 09:37 PM

589 posts, read 1,220,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Stick around and you'll see how well I understand math.

The GOP thanks you for this attitude, Trump thanks you and I thank you. Keep the comments like this coming.
Oh I won't be going anywhere. I am sure my investments will rise and fall as usual but life will continue. My skill-set translates to any industry that sells to consumers and I'll be retired before I reach your age. Nothing to worry about.

Of course in your world coal is never ending. Must have the quivalent to black-scholes formula for that one to keep deluding yourself. Just a misunderstood genius eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 09:54 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cee4 View Post
My skill-set translates to any industry that sells to consumers and I'll be retired before I reach your age.
I'm already semi retired and what I do now I really enjoy, that would be building websites that generate revenue 24/7/365. I just made a few bucks while typing that. Having a computer since 1983 has helped tremendously in this endeavor, I have fond memories of setting up BBS's which evolved into today's forums. Back then you dialed a single computer direct over the phone line.

Quote:
Of course in your world coal is never ending.
I'm quite aware coal has an expiration date on it, the technology that will supersede fossil fuels is not available yet. My money is on geothermal sans some major technological breakthrough like fusion.

Quote:
Just a misunderstood genius eh?
My IQ was tested in 7th grade, I'll leave at it's not genius level.

Old 12-09-2016, 09:58 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,328,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Why would I do that when I live in Seattle and can buy local?
A lot of what you view as "local" isn't really so local after all; the ensilage (fermented corn in a silo) has to be supplemented with grain to enable a dairy cow to produce 5-10 gallons of milk per day -- that grain often comes to the local feed dealer in a 100-ton railcar, and I'm not sure how the agricultural bureaucracies certify it as "organic"; ditto for chicken feed -- the broiler house might be in Maryland or North Carolina, but a lot of the cracked corn and soybean meal comes out of the "flyover country" you disdain.

There is more than a grain of truth to the benefits of organic farming and living, but in order to meet the expectations of an over-sheltered urban/suburban clientele, a good part of that grain of truth goes through a horse -- or a bull -- first.

Old 12-09-2016, 09:59 PM

589 posts, read 1,220,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'm already semi retired and what I do now I really enjoy, that would be building websites that generate revenue 24/7/365. I just made a few bucks while typing that. Having a computer since 1983 has helped tremendously in this endeavor, I have fond memories of setting up BBS's which evolved into today's forums. Back then you dialed a single computer direct over the phone line.

I'm quite aware coal has an expiration date on it, the technology that will supersede fossil fuels is not available yet. My money is on geothermal sans some major technological breakthrough like fusion.

My IQ was tested in 7th grade, I'll leave at it's not genius level.
Not everyone understands it pays to be a snake oil salesman online. Just tell them what they want to hear and sell them a theoretical dream. The problem is when someone gets a government job doing it.

Solar will take over soon enough. I'm sure by then Nutty Don will have sold a bridge to his supporters.

Old 12-09-2016, 10:09 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,706,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
A lot of what you view as "local" isn't really so local after all; the ensilage (fermented corn in a silo) has to be supplemented with grain to enable a dairy cow to produce 5-10 gallons of milk per day -- that grain often comes to the local feed dealer in a 100-ton railcar, and I'm not sure how the agricultural bureaucracies certify it as "organic"; ditto for chicken feed -- the broiler house might be in Maryland or North Carolina, but a lot of the cracked corn and soybean meal comes out of the "flyover country" you disdain.

There is more than a grain of truth to the benefits of organic farming and living, but in order to meet the expectations of an over-sheltered urban/suburban clientele, a good part of that grain of truth goes through a horse -- or a bull -- first.
Why the obsession with trying to convince blue states they need flyover country? Why not accept that they aren't interested and they'll let them know if they change their minds? We have a lot of beautiful land and water and salmon, etc. If there was something we needed, we could put it out to bid and if flyover country came in at a good price, maybe they would win; or maybe not. A lot of government subsidies go to farmers. I would rather my taxes stay in my blue state and farmers can do as they wish using their own money that they earn on their own without my taxes supplementing them.

Old 12-09-2016, 10:21 PM

1,850 posts, read 820,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Why the obsession with trying to convince blue states they need flyover country? Why not accept that they aren't interested and they'll let them know if they change their minds? We have a lot of beautiful land and water and salmon, etc. If there was something we needed, we could put it out to bid and if flyover country came in at a good price, maybe they would win; or maybe not. A lot of government subsidies go to farmers. I would rather my taxes stay in my blue state and farmers can do as they wish using their own money that they earn on their own without my taxes supplementing them.
Sure, nobody would mind it if blue voters said this and then stayed in blue states with blue policies. But they don't. They say this while forcing blue policies on the flyover states that they claim they don't care about. Why don't you just keep your nose in your amazingly awesome blue state, like you told the red states to do? OMG, did I just describe how to follow the Constitution and federalism? It's almost like magic!

Old 12-09-2016, 10:24 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,833,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post
Sure, nobody would mind it if blue voters said this and then stayed in blue states with blue policies. But they don't. They say this while forcing blue policies on the flyover states that they claim they don't care about. Why don't you just keep your nose in your amazingly awesome blue state, like you told the red states to do? OMG, did I just describe how to follow the Constitution and federalism? It's almost like magic!

Good,no more farm subsidies for flyover states!

We will save millions.

Also,no more federal $$ for the National Parks and other Preserved Land.

Sounds good.
No more oversight from the Feds.
Let Clive Bundy and others claim any land they want.

Old 12-09-2016, 10:27 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cee4 View Post

Solar will take over soon enough.
It will not, let's test those math skills shall we? Let's assume that the cost to generate electric from a solar installation can compete with the cost to generate electric from fossil fuel plant over their lifetimes. e.g. it cost 3 cents per Kwh over 30 years for the solar and 3 cents per kWh for the coal plant over 60 years, these are all costs inclusive and everything is equal. This is far from the current reality but that is what we will assume.

Here is the scenario; it's 0 degrees out in the Northeast, cloudy, no wind, utilities are hitting record peak demand at 7AM and it's going to be like that for the next two weeks. This is not an implausible scenario. Any idea the capacity and storage to meet that demand?

For example suppose you have one good day of sun and your single solar panel can meet the demand during the day at the same cost as coal. What are you going to do for the next 16 hours? Your capacity requirements just tripled, that by itself is now costing you 9 cents per kWh and you also need the storage which introduces it's own expenses and inefficiencies.

The capacity and storage requirements balloon out of control, this is why wind and solar will not replace fossil fuels.

------
FYI you mentioned Solar City. That company is only in business because of three things. The federal tax credit,state credits and the all important REC. That is why they have limited areas they service. Most of the product they install was made in China, we are effectively subsidizing Chinese companies with US tax dollars.

Old 12-09-2016, 10:28 PM

1,850 posts, read 820,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
[/b]

Good,no more farm subsidies for flyover states!

We will save millions.

Also,no more federal $$ for the National Parks and other Preserved Land.

Sounds good.
No more oversight from the Feds.
Let Clive Bundy and others claim any land they want.
That's odd, everyone was saying that we get all our food from California. But then when we talk about farm subsidies, suddenly "that's red states." So which is it? It's almost like everyone on the left is lying continuously. LMAO

Old 12-09-2016, 10:31 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,541,469 times
Block food distribution into the Leftist urban areas for a few weeks and see what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies