Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 07:11 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I think environmental law should be based on the concept that nobody has the right to pollute the air and water that other people have to breath or drink. The rest is regulation controlling people or companies from violating this concept.
So, no internal combustion engines?

Should I assume you never fly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 09:33 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Do you really want to have water like Flint in a dozen US cities?
The EPA dropped the ball. What's your point?

Quote:
Do you guys remember acid rain? Want to bring that back?
Do you remember the Constitution and the system of federal courts?

Your State has an EPA. Look into it.

Old 12-09-2016, 10:42 PM

1,850 posts, read 819,738 times
You know what's odd? That liberals are like "I like clean water." Hey, that's great! So why do you need 600,000 pages of regulations that nobody has ever seen and which has never been voted on again? "Uh ...I like clean water?" It's like talking to some sort of lower life form.

Old 12-10-2016, 01:27 AM

2,818 posts, read 1,550,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
They dictate standards to the automakers for starters.
Of course they do. History has shown that if business is left to its own devices, it will burn down the building rather than take a cut in profits.

Old 12-10-2016, 01:29 AM

2,818 posts, read 1,550,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
The EPA dropped the ball. What's your point?

Do you remember the Constitution and the system of federal courts?

Your State has an EPA. Look into it.
Really? So what are the people in coal country to do when their state EPA is bought and paid for by the coal companies? People in these areas are terrified and even threatened with death if they fight King Coal. Don't believe it? Perhaps you should read some first-hand accounts of the poor women in coal country who are struggling against the coal companies to keep their kids safe.

Old 12-10-2016, 02:13 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Finalmove,

Can you give a specific example of rogue behavior at the EPA?
Yeah. They actually enforce the rules.

That's "going rogue" to a conservative.

Old 12-10-2016, 05:03 AM

1,850 posts, read 819,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

No, they make up regulations and then enforce the regulations they just made up by themselves. That's called "following the rules" to a liberal.

Old 12-10-2016, 05:59 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,115,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

How many "rules"?

Old 12-10-2016, 06:41 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I prefer robust EPA enforcement to the filthy air and water we suffered through when I was a child. Our cities stank and some rivers actually caught fire from the floating oils. I am not opposed to burning hydrocarbons or coal for transportation or electrical energy so long as the emissions are minimalized by appropriate technology.

I think most of the opposition to the EPA is a simple objection to having the government tell businesses to, in effect, "clean up their room" instead of positioning the rest of the world for higher profit. For some Profit is the only way their worship of Mammon can be expressed. I prefer not to suffer for their greed.

Old 12-10-2016, 06:44 AM

9,512 posts, read 9,077,788 times
Quote:
I know a lot of you are climate change deniers, so I'm not even going to discuss climate change. Do you really want to have water like Flint in a dozen US cities? Do you guys remember acid rain? Want to bring that back? The EPA is a very important emergency and no one, except big business will benefit from gutting it.
The flint city water conversion was decided upon a democratic administration that solely was looking to cut costs by siphoning river water into the flint municipality as the source for their drinking water. Blaming or not blaming the EPA is incorrect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies