Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 02:51 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Thank god Trump rolled back the mileage requirements and methane restrictions I'm sure that people will be thankful that climate change is not occurring. The residents of North and South Carolina probably have nothing but praise for people that refuse to believe in science. Another historic weather event, forest fires, record setting rain but we need to roll back those foolish regulations and bring back coal.

Very timely to elevate this year old thread.
The only positive about the whole thing is the people who will suffer the most are the same Trump supporters who cheer it on. No one hates the environment more than the GOP, but Trump's own EPA has said the coal rollback alone will result in an estimated 1400 deaths per year in coal country. Positively Darwinian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 03:12 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,449,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
The only positive about the whole thing is the people who will suffer the most are the same Trump supporters who cheer it on. No one hates the environment more than the GOP, but Trump's own EPA has said the coal rollback alone will result in an estimated 1400 deaths per year in coal country. Positively Darwinian.
Sad to say, it's true.

Old 09-17-2018, 03:18 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,449,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
I'm sure the Obama's WH mileage requirements and methane restrictions would prevent Hurricane's in the future right?
Very disingenuous of you. That isn't the point and never was.

Hurricanes and typhoons will always be present, but their frequency and intensity has been expected to get worse with rising average temperatures, and that seems to be bearing out.

Old 09-17-2018, 03:22 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And little/no regulation is the number one reason virtually everyone I've ever talked to who's been to China mentions atrocious air quality as one of their first comments about China.
Yep...when I visited China and India, on two separate occasions, it hurt to breathe too deeply, and I was coughing up ungodly stuff for weeks after.

Old 09-17-2018, 03:23 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,111,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Yep...when I visited China and India, on two separate occasions, it hurt to breathe too deeply, and I was coughing up blood for weeks after.
Didn't we have rivers here in the U.S. during the 70s that would catch fire?

Old 09-17-2018, 03:28 PM

57,229 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
I'm sure the Obama's WH mileage requirements and methane restrictions would prevent Hurricane's in the future right?
Restricting CO2 and methane emissions would be a move in the right direction if you actually believe science, or lifestyle needs to change or we will be paying the increased cost of climate change.

Old 09-17-2018, 03:30 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,111,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Restricting CO2 and methane emissions would be a move in the right direction if you actually believe science, or lifestyle needs to change or we will be paying the increased cost of climate change.
lol there's a reason why we got so many regulations in California, we were choking ourselves with pollution til' we realized we had to change.

But hey, enjoy your lung problems..

Old 09-17-2018, 03:43 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
I think a lot of conservatives think that they can exempt themselves from the societal consequences of the policies they support, as long as they have enough money.

When public education is underfunded, they can put their kids in private schools.

When abortion is severely restricted, they can send their mistresses and/or daughters on a nice weekend getaway to a state or country where abortion is easily accessible.

But the environment? The environment does not discriminate on income. Pollutants infesting the air do not first assess a person's financial wealth before deciding whether to ravage their lungs, heart, and respiratory system.

Old 09-17-2018, 03:58 PM

17,775 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Didn't we have rivers here in the U.S. during the 70s that would catch fire?

You heard this from one of our resident deniers.

Quote:
The climate always changes. The earth heats and cools periodically.

So I guess we can assume that the rivers have periodically caught on fire throughout the eons. We obviously know that man made pollution had nothing to do with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies