Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2016, 12:13 PM

88,964 posts, read 44,780,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I have relatives in Sweden and Norway, a high school teacher, nurse and a factory worker. They all have enough expendable income to fly to the US every few years, go on cruises and two of the three own second vacation homes. Doesn't sound all that bad to me
Then you'll have no objection if the US emulated their tax system, no?

Only 3 tax brackets
Lower the federal income tax rates to a top rate of only 25%
Flatten the brackets so that the middle class and above are in the same tax bracket
Implement a 25% VAT tax
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 12:40 PM

1,285 posts, read 591,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post

Only 3 tax brackets
Flatten the brackets so that the middle class and above are in the same tax bracket
Implement a 25% VAT tax
The scandinavian countries don't all operate the same tax bands nor rates.
Its disingenious to present a one size fits all approach.

But i think you'll find that the answer is yes.
I'll take a Scandinavian tax rate for the same services and benefits.

Of course, some major problems are that those countries citizens generally agree about the entire purpose of having a country and a tax system is to work toward the betterment of all, while in the US it's more of a every-man-for-himself and ********* attitude.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:43 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Hey can we get this ridiculous scare thread merged with the threads about Trump starting a nuclear war?

Old 12-12-2016, 12:47 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,954,406 times
Quote:
Actually, that's not true. I specifically posted the OECD's definition
No, you just posted the average of Bill Gates and Joe Sixpack and presented it as the median American. Average is useless. Median income adjusted for working hours and benefits is of course a much more reasonable comparison.

Old 12-12-2016, 01:00 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,954,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
No, it is not. It might be in Norway, but only because of their high COL. Sweden, Denmark, Finland and Iceland have much lower minimum wages.
Nope. Effective minimum wage in Denmark for fast food workers for example is $20 an hour and much, much better benefits (overtime, sick pay, health care, paid vacation time, parental leave etc).

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/28/b...staurants.html

Here is the price of a Big Mac in various countries. Interactive currency-comparison tool: The Big Mac index | The Economist

US: $5.04
Denmark: $4.44
Australia: $4.30
Euro area: $4.21

Its a myth that prices are so high Europe compared to America even though minimum wage workers in America are making starvation wages.

Old 12-12-2016, 01:16 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Why replace them? People don't vote conservative, moderate, or liberal. They vote Republican, Democrat, or Independent. And in a 2-party poll, Democrats do indeed get Food Stamps at a rate of more than 2 to 1 compared to Republicans. That newer data just verifies the accuracy of the Maxwell Poll data that in a 2-party comparison, the Democrat voters' share of Food Stamp recipients is 69% while the Republican voters' share of Food Stamp recipients is only 31%.

Percent of adults who have received Food Stamps:

Republican: 10%
Democrat: 22%
Independent: 17%

Easy to see who are the contributors, and who are the takers.
Except you have provided no evidence how the Independents lean and the Pew Poll I posted did just that and found an equal # of conservatives, moderates and independents were "moochers". Quit trying to spin the data, it doesn't work.

Old 12-12-2016, 01:19 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:

Only 3 tax brackets
Implement a 25% VAT tax
Nope I have no problem with the way it really works, but that's not really illustrated with your magical math. As I said, I know first hand what kind of living standard Scandinavians enjoy and it's enviable.

Old 12-12-2016, 01:22 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,460,386 times
Trump has vowed many times not to touch SS. If GOP lawmakers have different ideas this could get interesting.

Old 12-12-2016, 01:26 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Nope. Effective minimum wage in Denmark for fast food workers for example is $20 an hour and much, much better benefits (overtime, sick pay, health care, paid vacation time, parental leave etc).

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/28/b...staurants.html

Here is the price of a Big Mac in various countries. Interactive currency-comparison tool: The Big Mac index | The Economist

US: $5.04
Denmark: $4.44
Australia: $4.30
Euro area: $4.21

Its a myth that prices are so high Europe compared to America even though minimum wage workers in America are making starvation wages.
There is no minimum wage in Denmark, they have a strong union. (not saying that's good or bad)

You can absolutely pay McD's employees more and give them benefits etc....they'll just hire elite workers.

If you net the wages after tax the gap closes quite a bit but then again they still have all the benefits so unquestionably they have a much sweeter deal.

Old 12-12-2016, 01:34 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Social Security doesn't need fixing. If there's a gap, just take the limit off which is currently $118K. Republicans are just trying to use these four years to destroy Social Security and Medicare while giving themselves massive tax cuts. Everyone knew this was coming. I'm not a senior so if seniors want to fight for this, they have to fight vocally. Otherwise, they lose and frankly they deserve to lose since they voted for Trump.
Great! Does that mean I'm no longer a 'Senior'? If so, could ya convince my creaky knees of that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies