Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2016, 10:58 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post
Liberals are the first people in the entire history of humanity to believe that you should be paid to do no work, which is what a pension is. They're a very special group of people.

Haven't you just made a case for a minimum wage sufficient to enable workers to save for future needs when they can no longer work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 11:01 PM

32,062 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Liberals are the first people in the entire history of humanity to believe that you should be paid to do no work, which is what a pension is. They're a very special group of people.
What does this have to do with social security. You don't work, you don't receive social security

Old 12-12-2016, 11:11 PM

Quote:
I like how liberals always say that tax cuts "cost" money. That's because they don't care how much money comes in, they're determined to spend as much money as they want. So to them, if you don't raise enough money to match their profligate spending, then you "cost" the government money. I'm not even joking, that's the actual reasoning behind it.

Liberals say that tax cuts cost government money. Conservatives say that tax cuts merely allow taxpayers to keep more of their own money.

As an individual who enjoys no tax breaks beyond the universal standard deduction and personal exemption, I disagree with both liberals and conservatives:

Tax cuts cost OTHER TAXPAYERS money.

This is explicitly true in state and local government, where annual budgets MUST be balanced, and government cannot borrow to fund current operations.

State and local tax cuts MUST be paid for by other people.

e.g. If 50% of taxpayers pay a 20% tax rate and 50% of taxpayers get a tax cut or tax break that affords them a 10% tax rate, the tax cut / break enjoyed by 10% taxpayers is effectively a 5% cost borne by the 20% taxpayers, who could have paid only 15% if the tax cut / break didn't exist.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Actually, liberalism has only succeeded in increasing hunger and poverty. I mentioned that on another thread. No liberal action has every improved anything. That's why liberals always say "why, look how great our programs are!" and then say they need to expand it. If it was so successful, then the problem should have been reduced, thus needing less of the program. But notice that's never the case with liberalism? Liberalism leads to failure.

How many slumlords have become wealthy from Section 8? How many corner market owners, liquor store owners, pawn shop operators, payday lenders, etc have made a good living off of program recipients?

Capitalism serves the poor last and least, and naturally leads to market failure, look at homelessness and astronomical rents.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:18 PM

1,850 posts, read 820,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Want my solution that involves a flat tax?

50%. No deduction for anything.
Sure thing. Now all you have to do is get everyone to agree to a 50% tax on themselves in order to fund your liberal plan. What are the odds of that happening? Roughly zero. That's why a flat tax is so beautiful.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
If a government janitor's wage is 3x a private sector janitor's wage for the same work, why should the private sector janitor pay the same tax rate as the government janitor?
Good point, but I never said we can't slash the government janitor's wage. In fact, once the people all have to pay for the government janitor's wage, they'll suddenly be more interested in it. Currently, the only people who care about the cost of government are the people who have to pay for it -- that is, taxpaying citizens. If you forced everyone to pay for the government janitor to make more than they did, they'd very quickly refuse to do so.

Quote:
How many slumlords have become wealthy from Section 8? How many corner market owners, liquor store owners, pawn shop operators, payday lenders, etc have made a good living off of program recipients?

Capitalism serves the poor last and least, and naturally leads to market failure, look at homelessness and astronomical rents.
All you did was prove that people abuse government programs. Therefore, the solution is to eliminate all government programs, which prevents slumlords from abusing the program. Thanks.

Quote:
State and local tax cuts MUST be paid for by other people.
Wrong, nobody has to "pay for" a tax cut. Tax cuts merely return people's money to the people who paid it. The only people who are deprived of anything are the liberals who are desperately trying to spend other people's money and are then sad.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:28 PM

Quote:
But oddly I'm smart enough to save my own money. Funny how that works, right?

YOU are smart enough to save your own money, but in aggregate, Americans have a proven track record of being poor at saving their own money. Not to mention low-wage workers who don't earn enough money to save.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:29 PM

Quote:
YOU are smart enough to save your own money, but in aggregate, Americans have a proven track record of being poor at saving their own money. Not to mention low-wage workers who don't earn enough money to save.
Too bad, maybe other Americans should try to be as smart as I am then.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Wrong, nobody has to "pay for" a tax cut. Tax cuts merely return people's money to the people who paid it. The only people who are deprived of anything are the liberals who are desperately trying to spend other people's money and are then sad.

SOMEBODY has to pay for a tax cut or tax break which is not evenly applied to all.

If half of taxpayers are paying 10% and the other half are paying 20%, the taxpayers paying 20% are paying for the tax cut enjoyed by 10% taxpayers.

As one of those taxpayers, I say I was deprived of the flat 15% tax rate I would pay in the absence of the tax cut.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Too bad, maybe other Americans should try to be as smart as I am then.

Maybe other Americans should try to have more property rights than they have now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies